It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Documents: PETA kills more than 95 percent of pets in its care

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   
The people running PETA are just evil.

Documents: PETA kills more than 95 percent of pets in its care

Documents published online this month show that People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, an organization known for its uncompromising animal-rights positions, killed more than 95 percent of the pets in its care in 2011.

The documents, obtained from the Virginia Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services, were published online by the Center for Consumer Freedom, a non-profit organization that runs online campaigns targeting groups that antagonize food producers.

Fifteen years’ worth of similar records show that since 1998 PETA has killed more than 27,000 animals at its headquarters in Norfolk, VA.

In a February 16 statement, the Center said PETA killed 1,911 cats and dogs last year, finding homes for only 24 pets.

PETA is more a death cult than an organization to protect animals.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Is the link broken? I couldn't access your source.

Just tossing this out there since I haven't read the article, but could it have been euthanasia?

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

I always questioned their antics, I figured they were bored housewife's or househusband's looking for a reason to meet and drink gin & tonics and tsk tsk the world away.

Regards, Iwinder

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl

Just tossing this out there since I haven't read the article, but could it have been euthanasia?

The link worked fine for me here.....just saying
Regards, iwinder

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Just re-tested the link... it works perfectly.

Or if it doesn't work, just copy the headline on google.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo

Just re-tested the link... it works perfectly.

Or if it doesn't work, just copy the headline on google.

Thank you. I'm on an iPod, that may be the reason the link wouldn't work. Off to read....

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Don't know if the link worked, saw what it was about and chuckled. Then I looked at my cat and felt sad ... then I chuckled again

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   

But if they are a hub for neglected animals, and cannot find good homes for them, then naturally the size and reach of their organization will include lots of animal euthanasia. Granted, there is much quackery associated with the organization, but I think they do some good as well. I for one feel that animals need people to defend them in some cases and I am glad there is an organization that gets involved.
Yes I am a biased animal lover who wants rights for them too...

It's interesting that the link and many of the associated links are not working on google.

spec
ETA: I wanted to find out about Daily Caller and this is what I found:

The Daily Caller is a news website based in Washington, D.C., United States, with a focus on politics, original reporting and breaking news, founded by journalist and political pundit Tucker Carlson and Neil Patel, former adviser to former Vice President Dick Cheney. The Daily Caller launched on January 11, 2010.

So is this a lib hater attack on PETA from Tucker and his boys?
en.wikipedia.org...
I guess I am suspicious cuz the link will not open and I can't find the actual article.
edit on 27-2-2012 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

Daily Caller is reporting the documents from

Documents published online this month show that People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, an organization known for its uncompromising animal-rights positions

I doubt they are making this up...

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 04:27 PM
link   
The question is, though... Are they killing them ethically?

In 2005, two PETA employees described as “adorable” and “perfect” some of the dogs and cats they killed in the back of a PETA-owned van. The two were arrested after police witnessed them tossing the animals’ dead bodies into a North Carolina dumpster.
Oh snap, in that case maybe not.

Someone ought to start a new PETA organization. People for the Ethical Treatment of Agriculture.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   
This is really no surprise to me - the nationwide estimates for all shelters rates of euthanasia are roughly 75%. There are places with worse rates say, for instance urban Detroit with mid 90's and some places with less.

Have you ever tried to "rescue" or adopt a pet from the SPCA or the Humane Society shelter. There were more papers to fill out than for my home loan. One place in California wanted to see my bank statements and do a home safety visit. It was for a cat! The most self sufficent pet there is.

I know why they do it but they make it really hard. PETA (and these other organizations) think they are doing the animals a favor by putting them down. While I disagree with PETA's main agenda ( I am a dairy farmer) I can't help but agree that they just might be right in most cases...

People are irresponsible with their pets - I live rural and while I have more and more cats show up off (hover between 20-25 at any given time) and on every week in the barn, If I can catch them I get em fixed. I have had plenty of litters aborted and have put plenty of sick ones on the path to the scratching post in the sky. I have the euthanasia drugs on hand in my medical kit. The expense is minimal and I can write off my vet bills with my other farm expenses.

People also drop off dogs out here all the time - sometimes they make it; most times they resort to fowl predation and get shot. I have saved about 4 in the past 5 years; based on their temperament they can stay. Some unfortunately are too feral.

edit on 27/2/2012 by Golf66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sek82
The question is, though... Are they killing them ethically?

In 2005, two PETA employees described as “adorable” and “perfect” some of the dogs and cats they killed in the back of a PETA-owned van. The two were arrested after police witnessed them tossing the animals’ dead bodies into a North Carolina dumpster.
Oh snap, in that case maybe not.

Someone ought to start a new PETA organization. People for the Ethical Treatment of Agriculture.

Asparagus has rights, too!

Sorry, couldn't resist.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Ingrid Newkirk is an evil B^#^#. Once the reigns of PETA were taken from Alex Pacheco it was down hill for PETA.

It's all about the fund raising and the notoriety for PETA now. They have never backed any protective legislation or any mass rescues if they could not benefit financially or publicly from it. None of the grass roots organizations or the folks serious about uplifting the lives of companion animals or those grown for food give PETA a second thought...well maybe to blame them for the stigma that animal rights activist have to continually dodge.

The animal world would be better off without them.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Where are the documents?

I'm doubtful they exist if what sourcewatch.org says is true:

PetaKillsAnimals.com was created in July of 2004 by the Center for Consumer Freedom (CCF). According to it's website, they also "stand up to the food police, environmental scaremongers, neo-prohibitionists, meddling bureaucrats, and other self-anointed saints who claim to know what's best for you". They even feature a "Daily Headlines" service which provides "valuable information" about "these activists, and analysis of their activities." They "welcome your support" and "financial contribution".[1]

CCF is an industry-funded organization and front group for the restaurant, alcohol, tobacco and other industries. It is registered as a tax-exempt, non-profit organization under the IRS code 501(c)(3). Over 40% of the group's 2005 expenditure was paid to Rick Berman's public relations company, Berman & Co. for "management services". [2]
CCF provides virtually no referencing, yet their statements are circulated by other industry groups, animal breeders and brokers, news wires and even some media outlets. CCF does not link back to People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA), nor any sites of groups or individuals purportedly being "exposed".

Richard Berman and CCF clients have included Phillip Morris, Monsanto, Tyson Foods, Dean Foods and Coca Cola. Tyson is also a major supplier of restaurant chains, including Kentucky Fried Chicken [3] and McDonalds. [4] Monsanto contracts product toxicity testing on animals out to Huntingdon Life Sciences. [5] All of these corporations, as well as Phillip Morris contract laboratory Covance Laboratories, have subjects of campaigns and investigations by PETA and/or other groups.

LINK

You went after the wrong people Vitchilo.

edit on 27/2/12 by Chadwickus because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Unfortunately Dr Kevorkian killed people too but there is a medically sound reason and we all understand why. In this case I understand why too. It is the lesser of two evils.

PETA cannot handle every animal that is brought to them. Some animals are already ruined by abuse and do not have the temperament for adoption, others are too old sometimes there are too many abandoned and abused animals for the kennels, no kill shelters and PETA to ever find homes for. People want new Animals, young ones.

But make no mistake a MERCIFUL DEATH WITH A VET IS FAR BETTER than being sold for lab experiments, getting tortured by some masochist or breeding in the streets without food, water or a home. And I love animals.

Unfortunately as well PETA has made a laughing stock out of itself and people do not take them seriously any longer. I think they have lost credibility and it is time to turn the reigns over to someone who will get the job done - for the sake of the animals and if they care as much as they say they do they should recognize PEOPLE THINK THEY ARE A JOKE.

The ASPCA is no better. They bring in just enough to justify their own paychecks and handle tip of the iceberg cases but they slack off on actually doing anything worthwhile like fighting to change laws. They are afraid they won't be needed if that happens so they leave things as is. Like the Cancer Society and Diabetes Research Centers are not looking for a CURE either. If people stopped donating they'd lose their jobs. They've morphed into a donation agency. NOT AN ANIMAL PROTECTION AGENCY.
Just a hole to dump money into when they show us the horrifying pictures and the pets abused and abandoned on TV. They are disgusting and should be ashamed of themselves.

Humane society does what they can but we are talking numbers of animals that are staggering.

Glad somebody finally notices.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Please add any comments to the existing thread found here...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Thread closed.

top topics

join