It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A question regarding the Terms and Conditions, 12e

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 01:49 AM
link   

12e) Compliance With Laws: You agree to comply in all material respects with all applicable laws, rules, and regulations in connection with your activities under the Terms and Conditions of Use (and for members, the Additional Terms and Conditions of Membership).
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Is this saying that all ATSers who are members must comply with all laws? *Or am I reading this wrong? I'm doing research for a thread, and this is part of it, and certainly seems relevant.*

I do not even know the specific number of laws that exist. (nor do voters or their favorite candidates for that matter) I tried to Google this information and it was not available on the internet as far as I could see. As far as I know the existing laws are not required learning in schools either.

So I guess my question is if all ATS members agreed to the Terms and Conditions, and 12e states compliance with the laws is mandatory for this site, then surely at least one member here can tell me the specific number of laws that they must conform to and abide by, right?

So how many laws are there?

*Thanks in advance for taking this seriously and entertaining the inquiry,*
ILikeStars

edit on 27-2-2012 by ILikeStars because: add some stuff *

I am doing this research for a thread on the necessity of lawmakers who get paid to make laws, America's highest incarceration rate in the world, and other related election and campaign issues.
edit on 27-2-2012 by ILikeStars because: ^

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 02:07 AM
link   
You should read 12e in conjunction with 12b and especially 12c.

In short it's just saying: don't do anything illegal on ATS that could get ATS or yourself in trouble with any law enforcement agency (especially those in the State of Arizona).

The floor is however still open to those more knowledgeable on the topic of law and cyberlaw.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 02:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Gemwolf

Thank you for the response Gemwolf. I readily admit my ignorance of law and cyberlaws, but of course I am a person with a conscience, and this has a little to do with guarding my own integrity and making sure I understand what it is I have claimed to agree with. (I certainly do my best)

I didn't agree to abide by Arizona's laws, did I? Heck, not sure I know all of them either. Some of the jargon used can be left up to some level of interpretation depending on the individual reading those words, me thinks.

Perhaps my interpretation may be flawed as to the intent of what was being stated??

It's getting late here, so I'm off to bed. Thanks again for response, and the responses that may come.

much appreciated.
edit on 27-2-2012 by ILikeStars because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 02:47 AM
link   
I'm going to leave technical questions about legality, laws and all that mumbo-jumbo to those more knowledgeable on the topic...

Most members let the lawyers worry about the actual laws in Arizona, Kuala Lumpur, Kalgoorlie and all the other places, i.e. most members aren’t even aware of what point 12e says. I were you I wouldn't worry too much about the technicality of the laws, by-laws and by-by-laws of the Terms and Conditions contained in point 12. Take note of it and keep it under your hat. As long as you follow everything from 15-20, then the rest should follow naturally.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 02:51 AM
link   
reply to post by ILikeStars

You should pay attention to the word "applicable".
The clause does not mean "all laws on every subject".
It means "all laws that apply to using the internet, especially taking part in a discussion forum".

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 03:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by ILikeStars
So how many laws are there?

You can break as many laws as you wish, it's only those "in connection with your activities" at ATS that are a concern

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Letters Of The Law

Just to restate (and hopefully not muddle) what has already been pointed out by our fellow members above, what you do outside ATS is none of our business. But we do ask that you not use your membership to do anything illegal on ATS.

That protects both you, us, and the membership as a whole, and it's a good idea to avoid criminal activity no matter where you go on the Internet.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Majic

Thank you and all members for their appropriate responses. I appreciate the clarification. Reading legal jargon is not my personal forte. Although I am well versed in fire law, luckily that is easier reading than some laws and bills.

Much appreciated and I think I have learned some stuff and understand what it means a little better.

Thanks everyone for your time!

[size=16]✌【ツ】

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 06:45 PM
link   
The reason behind some of this thread was clarification for myself, but also that I am researching and thinking about doing a thread on personal responsibilities of citizens and how it may be irresposible to vote for and empower and pay new law makers to make new laws without first knowing the number of existing laws, both voters and law makers / candidates alike.

I'm still pondering the prospect but want to approach the rationale behind it in the least abrasive way as possible, mostly with logical arguements to support the view and factual information within the public domain.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Majic
and it's a good idea to avoid criminal activity no matter where you go on the Internet.

Not all laws make you a criminal
And this for ILikeStars too... you have to factor in all the laws
One thingthat is universal is politicians make many many stupid laws

Alaska

Moose may not be viewed from an airplane. (MOOSE!)
While it is legal to shoot bears, waking a sleeping bear for the purpose of taking a photograph is prohibited.
It is considered an offense to push a live moose out of a moving airplane. (What kind of sick person would do that...to a moose?)
It is considered an offense to feed alcoholic beverages to a moose.
Owners of flamingos may not let their pet into barber shops.

Arkansas

A man can legally beat his wife, but not more than once a month.
Alligators may not be kept in bathtubs.

California

No vehicle without a driver may exceed 60 miles per hour.
Peacocks have the right of way to cross any street, including driveways.

Connecticut

It is illegal to dispose of used razor blades
It is unlawful to walk backwards after sunset.
You may not educate dogs.

Iowa

A man with a moustache may never kiss a woman in public.
One-armed piano players must perform for free.
Kisses may last for no more than five minutes.

www.angelfire.com...

edit on 27-2-2012 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 01:47 AM
link   
I think the best bet would to just not do anything stupid and you should be fine. Unless you are from Arizona, then it is different.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 03:40 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Anyone with the ability to do any of those things while simultaneously posting on ATS probably has nothing to fear from puny mortals.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Majic

lol

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 03:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Majic

The scary thing is they made those laws because someone. somewhere did those things

top topics

join