It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Regarding threads that have been closed for review

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 09:38 AM
link   
A fascinating thread that I was frequenting was recently "temporarily closed for staff review".

This is fine if they have to review it, but my concern is that I've never seen a thread reopened once it has been "closed for review". Has anyone ever seen a thread reopened?

One suggestion I have is that the threads should have a possible time table for decision to be reached. For example, the message could specify that the thread will be reviewed and a message of whether or not it will be reopened will be posted within 36 hours. After that 36 hours, the thread should be reopened or a message should be posted stating that it has been closed indefinitely for such and such reason.

Thoughts?

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Afterthought

Once you get that message, you can rest assured that thread is gone.

IMO the mod keeps if off until enough mods agree with them to have it closed. One time it took over a day for them to make up their minds about one.... which was actually funny because two mods particiapted in the thread.

Try writing to the Mod... That will help it along.... to it's end I am sure.

Expect this thread to be closed in 5, 4, 3, 2, .....

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 09:45 AM
link   
That's what I've also noticed, too.
I'm just trying to initiate some positive change within our little community. If a thread is never reopened once reviewed, why even say that it's closed temporarily? I just like it when people say what they mean and mena what they say. Sort of like the story we heard as children about Horton.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Afterthought
That's what I've also noticed, too.
I'm just trying to initiate some positive change within our little community. If a thread is never reopened once reviewed, why even say that it's closed temporarily? I just like it when people say what they mean and mena what they say. Sort of like the story we heard as children about Horton.

My very first thread here on ATS is one of them. I still haven't received a reason as to why it was closed.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by PeopleOfEarth

If I may, what was it about?

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   

I agree with you. I had a thread recently closed! You would think the mod would at least send the op a message with a reason and then a later message with a decision!

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Thread closed for staff review.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Mods may close a thread for various reasons, usually because there are important questions about the thread with respect to the terms & conditions or numerous problems of some type, such as when flame wars get to a point that we would need to carpet-bomb the thread with warnings and post removals to get it back on topic, which we generally prefer not to do.

Behind the scenes, the staff will discuss the reasons for the thread being closed, what should be done about them and whether or not the thread should remain permanently closed.

If it's the latter, we usually leave it at that. If it's something we can fix, we usually try to fix it and reopen the thread as quickly as we can. If reopening the thread requires action by a member (this can arise in cases like improper attribution, copyright issues, suitability of content and other problems with the OP), when and whether the thread is reopened will depend on what the member does or doesn't do.

In all cases, if you have any questions about or objections to a thread being closed under these circumstances, it's best to send the mod who closed the thread a private message asking about it, or alert the post and ask that the closure for review itself be reviewed.

We deal with a lot of issues each day and it is possible for things like this to get lost in the shuffle, but whenever you have any questions or concerns about actions like these or anything we do, please don't hesitate to let us know.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Majic

Thanks for the reply.
I still think it's not unreasonable for a mod to post an update about their decision within a reasonable amount of time when the word 'temporary' is used. It's just common courtesy to let those involved know that a decision has been reached and state the outcome -- closed permanently or reopened.
The fact that many people come to ATS for answers, this little change would benefit the site greatly and strengthen the relationship between members, mods, and administrators.
I have to laugh because when I was young and asked my parents if I could do something or go somewhere, they would reply with "I'll think about it". Many times it was said this way just said so I would forget about it.

Edit to Add: Your 'Closed for Staff Review' comment was funny!

edit on 24-2-2012 by Afterthought because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   
yea the thread for staff review this is super annoying .

problem with this website is there ar to many mods who react more on emotion , when dealing with threads and posts . Even when you complain it gets lost and rarely do they respond back . Thats just my expereince anyway. I would leave this site because of mods , then the trolls . Its getting to that point lol

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   

You can always file an alert, giving some details, especially a link to the thread..
Contacting Staff: Alerts, Suggestions, Complaints

Contacting the mod who closed the thread might also be an option.

Again, please include a link to the thread involved.

And don't forget, sometimes we have IRL stuff to do.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Afterthought

If I may, what was it about?

Mine was a thread about people on earth coming together and trying to make a difference here on earth. It was pretty long but I have seen much longer posts. It had my ideas and ways that we could start to make a difference and make people want to do good things.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by DontTreadOnMe

You can always file an alert, giving some details, especially a link to the thread..
Contacting Staff: Alerts, Suggestions, Complaints

Contacting the mod who closed the thread might also be an option.

Again, please include a link to the thread involved.

And don't forget, sometimes we have IRL stuff to do.

Here is a link to the thread: www.abovetopsecret.com...

I was going to PM the mod but there was nowhere on the thread that stated which mod closed it or how to contact them.

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Just a hunch, but I'm going to go ahead and say it's because you were trying to recruit people, which is against T's and C's.

I can't speak for the way the moderating staff work things behind the scenes here, but I do know from experience staffing at other fora that there are a lot of instances where threads and posts fall into a kind of grey area and it becomes hard to say whether or not it is actually against the site rules. In those cases, and even in the more black and white ones, staff will often discuss the issues until they come to a consensus as to how they should act.

Different websites have different levels of strictness when it comes to those sorts of things. ATS might be on the more strict side, but can you really blame them? This is a *huge* website and it takes some serious effort on behalf of the staff (and members) to keep it the way it is. Yes, perhaps it is the case that more often than not threads pending staff review are closed, but that's not to say it happens 100% of the time (it doesn't). As much as I hate anecdotes, I have personally seen threads reopened following review.

new topics

top topics

join