It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DMZ TOUR

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 04:51 AM
link   
As some of you know, I am stationed in South Korea with the U.S. Army. This is my second time here and have been on the 'DMZ Tour" at least three times already. Here are some photos for those of you who will never be able to view the place in person. It's nothing special really, but thought some people might like to see anyway.

Sorry my pictures were too big to upload to ATS so not sure how to embed them into the post.

This is where exchanges take place between north and south korea, sometimes a north korean soldier washes up on shore in the south and they are exchanged here. Or thats what the tour guide said. Also the building on the left is where talks between the north and south are supposed to happen, inside there are tables and translation booths. The tables have microphones on them that record 24/7 and are monitored inside the large building in the background, which belongs to the north.

This is inside the building described above.

North Korean guard, also if you look to the left of him in the picture there is a window with the curtain slightly pulled back, a guard also sits in there with binoculars monitoring the area.

There was an axe murder incident where a Captain Bonafis was killed. Incident took place in 1976 and this marks the spot.

This is known as "The Bridge of No Return." Crossing this bridge, well i believe halfway across it will put you in North Korea.

Again..the building with translation booths and 24/7 mic

Another view of "The Bridge of No Return"

North Korean village known as "Propaganda Village." It has an official name however it is called propaganda village because almost nobody lives there, it is all for show and most of the buildings are hollow. The flag is huge and has a dry weight of 600 pounds. During monsoon season they have to take it down or it will tear under its own weight.

There used to be a coy pond at this spot where a North Korean defector hid. When North Koreans came looking for him a firefight broke out between south and north.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 05:06 AM
link   
I visited the DMZ about twelve years ago whilst on a business trip to South Korea. I remember the propaganda village and also the large speakers that. Lasted propaganda towards the south. The guide basically told us that that they were saying how great it was to live in the north and how good they have it.
I also remember the massive military presence.....why can we not just live in peace?

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 05:32 AM
link   
Your image links are giving off this message;

This content is currently unavailable The page you requested cannot be displayed at the moment. It may be temporarily unavailable, the link you clicked on may have expired, or you may not have permission to view this page.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 05:36 AM
link   
Great...well I click them and they work. Nice try I guess, next question is how do I delete a thread?

new topics

top topics

join