It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2 NY cops face hearing for tossing a football with a kid.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 01:44 AM
link   
Wow, so if you beat, taze, murder citizens nothing happens to you.. but these 2 cops got caught tossing a football with a kid and get in trouble?

Two NYPD officers who were hit with departmental charges last year when a commanding officer saw them tossing a football with a boy will get the hearing they requested, the Daily News reports.

On the Fourth of July last year, the commanding officer of the Bronx Housing Bureau reportedly saw Catherine Guzman, Mariana Diaz and two other police officers tossing a football with a 7-year-old at the Webster Houses in Morrisania. He yelled at them, "What are you doing? Do you realize you're on overtime?," according to the Daily News.

Yeah, you are supposed to be trying to give people tickets, not interacting with them! By the way, could the fact that these are two female officers have something to do with the punishment?

The two other officers were each docked two vacation days, but Guzman and Diaz appealed their rulings. Guzman said at the time, "I don't think throwing a football to a 7-year-old boy is misconduct.

It was the Fourth of July, it was 96 degrees out and we were interacting with the community." The officers’ lawyer, Eric Sanders, told the Daily News Tuesday, “If a police officer can kiss Jenny McCarthy in front of millions and not be charged . . . I don’t see how throwing a football to a 7-year-old can result in disciplinary action."

To SERVE and protect, right? I think our police forget, maybe their new model is to abuse all power and make the city money.

source: rest of the story. www.nbcnewyork.com...

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 01:48 AM
link   
reply to post by ReadyPower

Wow thats just retarded. Police officers are supposed to be conflict resolution for the common citizenship.

Sounds like those 2 officers were making a good public presence in their local community

And a superior rages at them :/ He needs a reality check.

Seems like they were working to me.
edit on 22-2-2012 by Mandrakerealmz because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 01:53 AM
link   
They want kids to fear the police silly. Good public image is a bad thing

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 01:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mandrakerealmz

Wow thats just retarded.

Amen.
They want cops to have a more 'people friendly' image in a society where they're looked on with mistrust and hate.
The guys where thowing a ball with a 7 year old on the fourth of july for gods sake.

This is just the worst form of hipocrasy.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 02:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by ReadyPower
Wow, so if you beat, taze, murder citizens nothing happens to you.. but these 2 cops got caught tossing a football with a kid and get in trouble?

Two NYPD officers who were hit with departmental charges last year when a commanding officer saw them tossing a football with a boy will get the hearing they requested, the Daily News reports.

On the Fourth of July last year, the commanding officer of the Bronx Housing Bureau reportedly saw Catherine Guzman, Mariana Diaz and two other police officers tossing a football with a 7-year-old at the Webster Houses in Morrisania. He yelled at them, "What are you doing? Do you realize you're onovertime?," according to the Daily News.

Yeah, you are supposed to be trying to give people tickets, not interacting with them! By the way, could the fact that these are two female officers have something to do with the punishment?

The two other officers were each docked two vacation days, but Guzman and Diaz appealed their rulings. Guzman said at the time, "I don't think throwing a football to a 7-year-old boy is misconduct.

It was the Fourth of July, it was 96 degrees out and we were interacting with the community." The officers’ lawyer, Eric Sanders, told the Daily News Tuesday, “If a police officer can kiss Jenny McCarthy in front of millions and not be charged . . . I don’t see how throwing a football to a 7-year-old can result in disciplinary action."

To SERVE and protect, right? I think our police forget, maybe their new model is to abuse all power and make the city money.

source: rest of the story. www.nbcnewyork.com...

I bold/underlined the key word in this article.

Who do you think pays for police wages?

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 02:15 AM
link   
reply to post by DaTroof

Would that be the tax payers?

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 02:20 AM
link   

reply to post by DaTroof

the tax payers who would probably much rather have positive interaction with the police, than negative interaction.

This is silly, a couple of coppers try to interact with the community on a human level, and get stick for it. I'm sure if she'd have beaten that little kid to death, she'd have been anointed in holy oils and given a medal.

It just goes to show that those who are giving out the orders, want the police to be completly seperate from the people they are supposed to SERVE. This isn't news to many, certainly isn't to me, but it doesn't make it any less sad.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 02:24 AM
link   

reply to post by DaTroof

Technically the city, but the city and state get their funds through taxes, so yes.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 02:27 AM
link   
Damn... The cops up here are so corrupt that if this happened here they would probably be promoted for interacting with the community in ways other than beating them, stealing their drugs and selling/using them.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 02:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Acidtastic

But they're on overtime. 4 officers of medium tenure on time-and-a-half could well exceed $150/hr. I'm not saying they should be out writing frivolous tickets, but they shouldn't be playing catch while on overtime.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 02:35 AM
link   
They broke protocol. Instead of building trust in the community, they should be tasering and/or planting drugs on the kid.

On a serious note, facing a disciplinary hearing will only cause animosity towards the citizens they swore to serve and to protect and further alienate the community.

Who ever doesn't believe in conspiracies, here's an example of the powers that be cultivating an us vs them mentality and militarizing the police.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 02:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaTroof

But they're on overtime. 4 officers of medium tenure on time-and-a-half could well exceed $150/hr. I'm not saying they should be out writing frivolous tickets, but they shouldn't be playing catch while on overtime.

regardless of overtime, and regardless of the fact that these are female, i'd still rather see a policeman tossing a ball to a kid, than tasering or shooting some accidental victim.

more proof that society is completely twisted by these money grabbing overlords of ours.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 02:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaTroof

Right, I am about as anti bad cop as I could possibly be, so when I see a good cop thing, I got to stick my neck out. These 2 officers were trying to do a good thing, creating trust in the community, trying to make the police more approachable. This is still community work, they are still doing their job, even if that means having a bit of a mess around. It's community work.

I'd much rather see more of this kind of thing from the police, than the needless taxation of the public, for private investors of the police. I'd much rather see the police trying to be seen as real people, instead of jackboot hired thugs. And I'd definatly rather not see the police berated for doing something good, kind and human. We all need the police to act responsibly and with the community in mind. That doesn't always mean kicking the crap out of someone then blowing his brains out. Sometimes that can just mean interacting with the people they are trying to serve.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 02:51 AM
link   
Question: Why were they on overtime if they were so unoccupied with whatever they were supposed to be doing that they could toss a football around? If their superior knew there was nothing going on, why not send them home?

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 02:53 AM
link   
uhh, its a holiday, theyre going to get overtime regardless.

their commanding officer also got paid overtime, for all the time he wasted chewing them out, writing them up and so on.

if he had just kept it moving, the officers would have been back to handing out tickets eventually and less total man hours would have been wasted.

welp!!!

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 03:25 AM
link   
reply to post by snarfbot

couldn't agree more. These police were a positive influence, something rarely seen nowadays !

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 03:32 AM
link   
reply to post by snarfbot

Originally posted by snarfbot
uhh, its a holiday, theyre going to get overtime regardless.

their commanding officer also got paid overtime, for all the time he wasted chewing them out, writing them up and so on.

if he had just kept it moving, the officers would have been back to handing out tickets eventually and less total man hours would have been wasted.

welp!!!

Thank you for saying this by the time I got to bottom of the posts.

ANY police officer that was on duty that day would be getting paid overtime, as July 4th is a Holiday. I don't see how improving the public image of the City's Police Force is considered to be a negative thing. If nothing else, that kid will have a positive view of his local PD for a while.

I wouldn't have a problem with my tax dollars (that were going to spent on overtime regardless what those officers were doing) being spent on something like this.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 04:12 AM
link   
Holy bejesus!!! Cops tazering people left and right and now this? Playing pass with a 7 year old? Cops are getting out of control. (For the few who might think I am serious, my post is sarcastic.)

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 06:37 AM
link   
Okay, they were on the job, it wasnt their fun time, I have to say that. So weather their conduct was part of their job could be up for debate. I believe they are encouraged to connect to the community though.

But I also have to say before the issue of the spread of football tossers is tackled, shouldnt there be more pressing issues at hand, like looking in updating the training with tazers, to knock down the fatality count related to that non fatal weapon?
edit on 22-2-2012 by Cassius666 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Are you being serious or are you just trying to provoke a reaction out of people? If you are seriously asking a question, I will have a discussion with you. If not, stop being ridiculous.

Well, lets look at the totality of the circumstances.

What you seem to forget is that the officers were on overtime. When officers are held on overtime, it is usually for a certain purpose. Lets say, anti crime detail, traffic detail, whatever. When officers are on overtime, they are usually being paid time and a half to do said detail. So, if officers are being paid overtime to do a certain detail, they need to be performing that particular job or it is a waste of taxpayer money.

Yes, throwing a football with a child is a very worthwhile and important job for the police department because it builds community relations. If the officers were on patrol on regular duty then this is a good use of their time as long as nothing else more important is going on at the moment.

Was it an overreaction to formally reprimand the officers? I would say yes.

Would the appropriate reprimand be not considering those officers for overtime details in the future? I would say yes because instead of doing the job they are being paid overtime to do they are throwing a football around with a kid.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join