It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tzaziki (Greek cucumber dip) recipe

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Tzaziki

2 large English cucumbers half peeled and de-seeded, sliced into 1/2" chunks
12 oz container plain Greek yogurt (drained) [can sub sour cream or a combo of both]
3-6 cloves garlic (to taste)
juice of 1 lemon
3 Tsp dill (fresh preferably)
1 Tb dill pickle juice (optional)
splash of Ouzo (optional)

Peel the cukes slightly then slice in half, de-seed with a spoon then slice into 1/2" pieces and place in a large colander in the sink and generously salt them. Take yogurt out and place in a fine strainer and place in sink as well. Now simply go do something else while you let yogurt drain and cukes dry out, check every 40 min or so on cukes shaking them vigorously to drain off excess water. After a minimum of 1 (up to 3) hour shake the cukes one last time and then dry off with paper towels or a clean dish towel, then place about 1/3 of the cukes in a blender or food processor with the remaining ingredients and blend until smooth, then add remaining cukes and give the blender a few solid pulses to leave the last few cukes a bit chunky. Taste for need for salt or more acid (lemon juice) and adjust as needed. Place in the fridge for at least 2 hrs then serve on Gyros, or with warm Pita or bread of choice. Keeps well in fridge for up to several weeks.
edit on 20-2-2012 by Aliquandro because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 11:00 PM
link   
thanks for posting this...I used to go to a greek place that has since closed that served this on their chicken or lamb gyros..it was amazing and I loved dipping my fries in it. Star for you sir!

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 11:22 PM
link   
A generous teaspoon of mint works well with this too.
Fresh, dry, as long as it's good mint.

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 11:41 PM
link   
Good idea on the mint, even a touch or either rosemary or oregano might work too depending on what you are using it for.

You can also get South American on it and omit the cukes, add some cumin and use it with grilled strap steak and spanish rice and beans with tostones. I really need to write down a good recipe for Veija Ropa and share, thats an amazing dish.

new topics

top topics

join