It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas Teacher Suspended for Telling Student 'Go Back to Mexico'

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Shirley Bunn, a math teacher at Barnett Junior High School in Arlington, Texas and two-time "Teacher of the Year" award recipient, has been suspended for telling a student to "Go back to Mexico."

Bunn said she lost her temper on September 30 while passing out Title 1 forms to her eighth grade students.

source

"According to public documents, a student who had a history of being disruptive repeatedly asked his teacher for a form printed in Spanish by saying, “I’m Mexican. I’m Mexican."

The documents said Bunn tried to tell him that he could get the forms in the office but he continued to argue with her and repeat, “I’m Mexican.”

In response, Bunn blurted out “[Then] go back to Mexico.”

This teacher should NOT have been suspended. I think they handled this fine, except for the fact, she should have removed the student from the class for being disruptive and marched them to the office and suspended them.

edit on 19-2-2012 by elevatedone because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 01:21 PM
link   
I wonder how much money the US spends every year on printing documents and forms in languages other than English?

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by elevatedone

I agree. It's not like the teacher just randomly told a Mexican student to go back to Mexico in a racist way. On the other hand the teacher does need to keep better control of her temper.

+10 more 
posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   
I hope the kid told the teacher

"Well if you were to open a history book dumbass you would find this was part of mexico until you filthy white devils stole our land through your rampant colonialism".

Btw, on a side note, this would explain to anyone why there might infact be brown people in southern parts of America, you know, just for anyone who is confused and possibly threatend by there presence.
edit on 19-2-2012 by Ixtab because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by mileysubet
I wonder how much money the US spends every year on printing documents and forms in languages other than English?

I wonder how much it costs nearly every country in the world that uses english as their 2nd language to print english documents.

+6 more 
posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ixtab
I hope the kid told the teacher

"Well if you were to open a history book dumbass you would find this was part of mexico until you filthy white devils stole our land through your rampant colonialism".

Btw, on a side note, this would explain to anyone why there might infact be brown people in southern parts of America, you know, just for anyone who is confused and possibly threatend by there presence.
edit on 19-2-2012 by Ixtab because: (no reason given)

Its not U.S.'s fault that Mexico sold the U.S. the land for 100 chickens or something. lol
I just thought Id like to lighten this thread up with a joke after your blantant racism against "filthy white devils"
How would you like it if I called you a "filthy brown chupacabra". I dont think you would like it.

I dont feel threatened by the brown people down here at all. I am a citizen on my side of the border, so why should I feel threatened?

I think the kid should be taught that he is in fact an American. A Mexican American.

edit on 19-2-2012 by AnimositisominA because: (no reason given)

+6 more 
posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   
That's whats wrong with a big part of this world. Kids mouthing off thinking they know everything already.
They took paddling out of schools and this is what we get.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by AnimositisominA

I think its time for you to open a history book

Learnings more fun than it sounds!

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   
I usually don't stand up for Union Thugs, but when they are up against a smart *** illegal alien students, I'll take her side.

If a Canadian student demanded a test in French, yelling "I'm Canadian", and the teacher said "Go back to Canada" this would have not been an issue.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Carseller4
If a Canadian student demanded a test in French, yelling "I'm Canadian", and the teacher said "Go back to Canada" this would have not been an issue.

Canadian says "wanna bet"?

As the video pointed out this wasn't her first go around in this manner. Is she a good teacher? According to the video, yes. Does she have issues? Yes. She's the teacher. She's the adult. She's the states representative. She should be able to curb her "frustration."

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   
It was better in the days of getting the attitude beat out of you with a cane or a leather belt.You either shutup and learned something or sat there and plotted how you were going to make the teacher pay by throwing toilet paper and shaving cream all over their car.
Either way it made your brain tick over ,which is the whole point of school.Now we are bringing up sooky ,whingeing kids who run off and call their lawyers.
The correct response from the teacher would be "I dont give a F33 where you are from ,i only care where you are going"

+12 more 
posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 02:09 PM
link   
She should get another teacher of the year award. She called a spade a spade.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by elevatedone

That's one of the problems why we have failing schools. Teachers are expected to tolerate students who are disrupting the education of other behaved and respectful students in the classroom. Disruptive students can't be expelled unless they are a threat to other students or the school. Where are the rights of students who want to learn? Why should a teacher or the students who understands the importance of education put up with a child who is disruptive and apathetic on a daily basis? It creates an unmanageable learning environment.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by WeRpeons
Why should a teacher or the students who understands the importance of education put up with a child who is disruptive and apathetic on a daily basis?

In that case remove them because they are disruptive. NOT point a finger at them because they are "Mexican". I hope you can see the difference. As I previously stated, the video said that she had labeled people before. That is unacceptable in any school. Sets the minorities up for ridicule and school is nasty enough without that.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Although I agree that the teacher should not have been suspended as the kid wqas obviously a total idiot. What would have happened if a black student has demanded a form in Swahili, saying I am african I am african, and the repsonce would have been "then go back to Africa:

Just testing the ATS waters for double standards

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by JakiusFogg
What would have happened if a black student has demanded a form in Swahili, saying I am african I am african, and the repsonce would have been "then go back to Africa:

Just testing the ATS waters for double standards

Would the black kid be able to read Swahili? How about a kid that is from Alpha Centari?
. Let's get real here.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Lot's of people here assuming that the kid is here illegally.

Typical ATS response, condoning the teacher's actions.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by muse7
Lot's of people here assuming that the kid is here illegally.

That's what I was looking for in the source and it wasn't stated that the kid was legal or not. Illegal immigration is a hot button topic. Especially in the southern border states. If the kid is legal what makes them any different than Joey in Philly? Or Maria in Seattle? Pointing them out in class only furthers animosity towards those legal kids. Not right.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

In that case remove them because they are disruptive. NOT point a finger at them because they are "Mexican".

You don't have a problem with disciplinary action but have a problem with her giving helpful and realistic advice, even if it wasn't in a firendly manner? If he demands documents and assignments in his native language, then going (back) to Mexico would be the rational thing to do. HE is the 'bad guy' in this story, not the teacher.

As I previously stated, the video said that she had labeled people before. That is unacceptable in any school. Sets the minorities up for ridicule and school is nasty enough without that.

You're complaining about 'labeling'? What if it's an accurate label? 'Student' is a label within itself. You seem out of touch with reality if you think it's 'minorities' who get ridiculed by majority white students. I graduated from a nearly 80% white school in the deep south and nearly ALL of the racial taunting towards Hispanics (and whites) came from blacks. There was once a racial riot planned between the blacks and Hispanics, but luckily that was stopped before it could get started.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

You can't remove them because of the way the laws are set up. Private schools can expel them because they don't have to abide by the same laws as public schools. In fact public schools have to accept disruptive students who have been expelled by private schools. Public school's can't reject students based upon poor GPA's or a history of disruptive behavior.

Are you aware that if a student is labeled as mentally challenged and he comes to school and threatens another student with a knife, he can't be removed from the school? The law considers students who are mentally challenged don't really understand the consequence of their actions. Would you feel safe knowing that you had a child in the same class?

I don't know what is happening in this particular teacher's classroom, but I question how many students in her class room have used that excuse before, or how many days she's been subject to verbal abuse, or disruptions by some of her students. She may have blown her cool in the past, but I would like to see the various reasons why she did.

<<   2  3  4 >>

join