It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need Help with my Dog! Anyone?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   
I know it's a long shot but I am desperate for help.
So about 2 weeks ago I realized that my dog "Harley" was pregnant.
This isn't her first pregnancy so I figured everything would be fine.
Last night she has 4 puppies with out any trouble, but I noticed she was still having contractions.
I can feel another puppy inside her. It's been almost 12 hours since the last puppy came out.
I don't know how common it is for a puppy to get stuck, but there is no progress.
It would break my wife's heart if anything happened to this dog.
I'm afraid that she will need surgery to give birth to the puppy ( which is probably already dead ).
I'm in a financial bind and I don't know what to do. They will only operate with a deposit and will NOT give you the dog back until you pay in full. I'm sure this is breaking some ATS rule and I know this seems pathetic and desperate, but that's how I'm feeling right now.
If ANYONE can find it in their heart to help, just send me a message, I would be forever grateful. Even if it's $1, I just want her to be ok.

edit on 17-2-2012 by GmoS719 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   
I'm sorry to hear about your dilemma. I suggest that you take the dog to the nearest anna shelter. You will pay half the price that a vet charges, that is if you can scrounge up enough cash.
edit on 17-2-2012 by kimish because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by GmoS719

Are you sure it would need a major surgery? It might be something that can be done without a surgery, so i really recommend that you get to the vet as soon as you can.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 12:29 PM
link   
You need to reach inside and pull the pup out. If you can feel a paw or leg, take a piece of CLEAN twine or string (preferrably) nylon, make a noose, wrap it around the leg or paw and gently pull. Wait for her to work with you (because she will) and slowly pull the pup. Yes, it probably will be stillborn, in any case, at least she'll be able to clean (afterbirth). Do not pull the pup away even if it's dead, let her clean it. It will help her relax and clean out the placenta. BTW, if the string is not an option, pull it with your hands. YOU HAVE TO DO THIS.

Edit: I'll watch this thread and assist you through this.

edit on 17-2-2012 by Vinny5036 because: Forgot to mention.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 12:29 PM
link   
I'm truly sorry to hear of Harleys' health problem. Have you no friends or family to help where you live?

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 12:31 PM
link   
She MIGHT not need surgery, but I've had this happen to one of my dogs when I was younger and they had to do a caesarean to get the puppy out.
I HOPE that it wont resort to that though.
My problem is I can't even afford to pay for the evaluation.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Vinny5036

Are you sure about that? I wont hurt her?

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by GmoS719
She MIGHT not need surgery, but I've had this happen to one of my dogs when I was younger and they had to do a caesarean to get the puppy out.
I HOPE that it wont resort to that though.
My problem is I can't even afford to pay for the evaluation.

If you came into my practice, I would attempt to pull the dog out first before resorting to opening her up. Try to pull the puppy...if you can feel it, you most likely can pull it. Now, this presents another issue, has this breached puppy blocking the delivery of other pups. Get that one out.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   

I'm almost certain that it's the last puppy inside, I did a lot of massaging her stomach and feeling around, I feel one head. That's it.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Are you sure about that? I wont hurt her?

This isn't going to be anymore fun for her than it will be you. Yes, you may stretch the vagina (of course, try not to) but you must get this done. Do not be afraid to use a lubricant such as KY Jelly if you have it. Vaseline will work, but you need to thin it by heating it very little.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 12:38 PM
link   

I'm almost certain that it's the last puppy inside, I did a lot of massaging her stomach and feeling around, I feel one head. That's it.

Can you only feel the head through the abdominal wall? Clean yourself very well and use your hands.

Edit: If you have rubber latex, use them. Take some warm water and mild soap and wipe the vagina clean before putting your fingers in there. Clean her well..The key here is bacteria, as much as you can prevent this from happening. I've delivered everything from horses to cats to dogs to cattle.
edit on 17-2-2012 by Vinny5036 because: Need included.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Vinny5036 and GmoS719, jump into chat room into your own channel as the conversation can work much much faster than writing posts.
edit on 17-2-2012 by cerebralassassins because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Well, I'm pretty sure it was a head through her abdominal wall. It was hard and round.
I have nylon gloves and I just felt around in there and I didn't feel anything?
She doesn't act like she wants to push, she only starts to contract when I massage her belly.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by cerebralassassins

It won't let Vinny in chat. Not enough posts I think.

ETA OP, nice to see someone getting what appears to be expert pet medical advice.

I'm sorry to hear you haven't got enough cash to take her to a vet. I wish I could help but I'm on welfare and I have a cat I can't afford anymore too. I hope it all works out okay for you and your cute doggies.
edit on 17/2/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: ETA

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by cerebralassassins
Vinny5036 and GmoS719, jump into chat room into your own channel as the conversation can work much much faster than writing posts.
edit on 17-2-2012 by cerebralassassins because: (no reason given)

I dont know how

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   

I know this sounds gross, but I felt around in there and it stops about an inch and a half in.
I'm guessing it's the opening to her uterus, what do I do?

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by GmoS719

try gently pushing on the dogs birth canal,you should be able to feel the puppy. just be very gentle,and watch the dog don't bite you! child birth you know. we had a shepard that had this problem,she had 15 pups,but # 15 was being stubbern! my little sister ended up helping mom by pulling the pup out when its body first appeared. the mom was so tired,she let it all happen. the last pup was the runt,and we kept him and he lived for 13 years!!!
dont sedate the mom,or this will take longer for birth. just keep talking to her and love her. she thinks shes in a pack,so your presents does wonders.
good luck and i pray for the best

peace

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Well, I'm pretty sure it was a head through her abdominal wall. It was hard and round.
I have nylon gloves and I just felt around in there and I didn't feel anything?
She doesn't act like she wants to push, she only starts to contract when I massage her belly.

Here is the possibilities-
-she could be trying to clean the placenta which will involve contractions
-she could have another pup breached inside
-IF there is a stillborn pup still breached inside, and for 12 hours, she'll likely need antibiotics
-Has she gotten up and walked or gone outside since beginning birth?

Another option...if you know a local farmer who might have dairy cattle experience..that would be the man to contact outside of a veterinarian

If you can get in touch with a diary farmer you could ask for a few drugs
- 1 cc of ECP (help her clean out)
- 1 cc of Oxytocin (relax her and bring on more productive contractions as well as milk production)

You will most likely need to get a hold of some penicillin, amoxicillin, something similar

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by GmoS719

It's ok, nothing gross about that. What you've touched is the cervix. It's time to contact a veterinarian at all costs.

Edit: The cervix opening acts as much as say a sphincter. It will contract or dialate just as well.
edit on 17-2-2012 by Vinny5036 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   
i just wanted to repond about the fast action the members at ats have taken,and it is all good advice!

i just hope mom and her new 'kids' are all healthy. my prayers go out to you my friend

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join