It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lightning lines

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 09:15 PM
link   
so here it is:
this one you already know:

and here's one in context so you can check cloud circulation etc. that day. Obvious lightnings in clear sky areas. No way this was natural.

sources

The site says it lies in line with SURA - Russian Ionospheric Heating Facility...

Feel free to debunk. I'd like to know what's going on.
edit on 15/2/2012 by PapagiorgioCZ because: grammar

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by PapagiorgioCZ

Well, firstly.....your source was a blog written in Czech.

But more importantly, it was dated from way back in 2009. The two images appear to be the result of radar "noise" captured at those particular moments, for the screen shots used in the Blog.

No, lightning usually does not occur in dry air....with a few exceptions. This is always associated with nearby thunderstorm activity, or at least a cloud with a lot of vertical motion occurring in it....even if the lightning actually travels to a ground, for a strike, in an area that is not currently receiving rainfall.

The air will generally have enough material in it to carry the electrical current....even a lot of dust can do this. So, moisture in the air, and other particulates, can be conductors of electricity....as well as the ionization of the various gas molecules themselves, due to electrical imbalance of the molecules' electrons ("static" electricity build-up).

Dry Lightning and Dry Microbursts

To tell the truth, the actual science of lightning, how it forms, is still undergoing a lot of research.

A great deal of all lightning that occurs does not even strike the ground.....there is also a lot of cloud-to-cloud activity, but such are not detected and cataloged for later research.

The Wiki Article about all Lightning has a lot of detail.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 11:12 PM
link   
reply to post by ProudBird

Is wikipedia any more reliable then some random czech blog?

Someone always ruins the fun with logic and facts...... damn facts, think they're so good..

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Looks more like a data error to me. Latitude or longitude get fixed at a particular value, so you get a line. It could even be a bug at the rendering stage on the web server.

That line falls around 100 miles south of Moscow, while Sura is about 200 miles to the north.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 07:38 AM
link   
To me Nizhniy Novgorod lies nicely in the line but it isn't the main point here anyway.
You can't just blame attenuation in all these (rain-free) areas. I understand it's tempting to say radar failure but can you take lightning detection seriously anymore then? It is sensitive piece of equipment and it isn't just one radar.
Check how stuff works: L.- detection
Question is: Had it to be lightning? What kind of electrical event could have similar patterns?
Ye, it is not really fresh stuff. So it's two years old so what, it's barred? Or debunked by default?

I could find some later but this one was really nice.
Your explanation did not convince me a bit. Try again.

new topics

top topics

join