It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Report: Electronic cigarette explosion leaves Panhandle man severely hurt

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Just when you thought smoking electronic cigarettes was the safe, healthy choice.....

www.palmbeachpost.com...

A man in the Florida Panhandle community of Niceville lost all of his teeth, part of his tongue and suffered facial cuts when the electronic cigarette he was smoking exploded, WEAR-Ch. 3 television reported.

Photographer, Vietnam veteran and father of three Tom Holloway was being treated at a burn center, the station reported.

That's a whole lot of damage he's got there.

Fire officials theorize that the cigarette's battery somehow ignited and it was essentially as if Holloway was "holding a bottle rocket in his mouth," the station reported.

The article says that he's been smoking the electronic cigarettes for two years now. I wonder how long he'd been smoking on the one that exploded? I'm also wondering if there's an expiration point where you should throw it away and get a new one such as 12 to 18 months.

Anyways, I hope he makes a fast recovery.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 12:29 PM
link   
I'm assuming he recharged a disposable ecig, My friend tried to recharge a disposable one in my charger and the batteries blew up.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Now when ever i smoke mine, I'll have a secondthought(pun intended on your name).
Not quite sure I believe it tho. Seems like a good propaganda piece to dissuade people from switching to a much healthier alternative. And you know they don't care if we're dead, they probably want it to happen.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 12:38 PM
link   
One in millions of users suffers a non-fatal accident. Time to pull em off the shelves.

Seriously, though, hope the guy makes a speedy recovery. The lawsuit should buy him a mouth full of shiny new teeth

edit on 15-2-2012 by Figzer because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Reply to post by LongbottomLeaf

I bet you are correct. Or it may be a false flag. Alot of people around me are going to Ecigs or just quitting period. And no matter what TPTB say, they want us puffing tobacco, it is still a moneymaker. I would not be surprised if TPTB offered lots of green tp to have his mouth obliterated to help the cause. May sound farfetched but think back to.....(((NINE ELEVEN))). Anything we see or hear COULD actually be a conspiracy. Nothing is for certain...except the fact there is one man who can make Ecigs safe again. Vote Ron Paul 2012!!

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 12:43 PM
link   
This comment from the source may help explain the incident.

This man was using what is called a "Mod". It was a modified version of the standard e-cigarette. Some people buy or make "Mods" because they use a much stronger battery...which gives a stronger inhale. There are warnings all over the internet about using "Mods" or modifying your e-cig, but some people choose not to heed the warnings

I don't know anything about "mods", but something like this could be a reason for the explosion.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   
As an e-cig user this has my attention for sure.

When I purchased my unit I spent the extra money for a device that has multiple safety features designed to prevent any kind of accident like this.

www.provape.com...

I have followed the sorry as best I can on the web and so far the brand has not been released. I expect they will at some point tell us as I suspect this was a disposable unit from China or Thailand.

Yes, this does not bode well for cheap e-cigs in the U.S. and I feel terrible for this guy.

If you are going to get an e-cig, spend the money on a well designed and dependable mod.

I will be staying tuned and I will be looking out for updates for the story.

OP, thanks for bringing it to ATS.

X.

Anecdotal details about the ProVape:

-Dropped from 5 feet or so multiple times: the concrete is lucky it survived

-American made and built with some of the same considerations as a Colt .45 ACP. This is a gorgeous example of American manufacturing.

-The safety features.

-Massive vapor plumes at 3.7 volts.

-I quit smoking in 2 days.

I am blowing the massive vapor plumes at the monitor as you read this.

X again.
edit on 15-2-2012 by Xoanon because: notes

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 12:52 PM
link   
I just did a search trying to determine if this was an actual event and it appears it is since many news outlets are reporting on it.

I simply plugged in the words 'electronic cigarette explodes' into IXQuick and several results came up.
I do feel bad for the guy though and I'm sure the tobacco companies are having champagne with their lunches today.

edit on 15-2-2012 by Afterthought because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by DoNotForgetMe

I agree it could be a fabrication to sully the good names of the e cigarette industry.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by isyeye

This man was using what is called a "Mod". It was a modified version of the standard e-cigarette. Some people buy or make "Mods" because they use a much stronger battery...which gives a stronger inhale. There are warnings all over the internet about using "Mods" or modifying your e-cig, but some people choose not to heed the warnings

I don't know anything about "mods", but something like this could be a reason for the explosion.

But you know they aren't going to stress that part of the story. They're going to try to make it look like all e-cigs could do this.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   
The link story seems a little light on details... I'd sure be interested to know more about the background here and wether he was usingh it strictly as directed.

Not to assume anything by the fact he's panhandling a living, but that way of life does suggest improvising as much as not to make things stretch and last. I'm horrified if this was 100% legit and nothing funny had been done to the device..like trying to recharge it or use it for something other than it's listed purpose. People use these around me at school. I'm not going to start looking at them funny without a bit more detail though......

It's a pretty serious thing if this is what it appears to be though. Some people have already been working to ban these things. This won't help matters.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Here is the full WEAR report. I've bolded the significant parts:
www.weartv.com...

A strange accident has left a Niceville man with severe injuries and burns.
He was smoking an electronic cigarette when it blew up in his face.

Laura Hussey "When firefighters here at the North Bay station got the call there'd been an explosion in someone's home, they thought it might be an oxygen tank. It turns out something much smaller had done some awful damage"

Tom Holloway is a photographer, a Vietnam Veteran, a father of three.

Wendy Jensen/Friend "Just a super nice guy, and he's had some health problems with his lungs and so he, he quit smoking"

Neighbor Wendy Jensen says Holloway had been using electronic cigarettes for about two years.

Monday evening, his wife heard a loud noise from the study.
"She said that it sounded like a firecracker, and it was just a horrible noise, and she heard him scream and she ran in there"

Holloway's cigarette had exploded.
The debris that flew around the room was so hot, it melted everything it touched.

Chief Butch Parker/North Bay Fire District "And what we believe was in the battery, and whenever the battery ignited, it was basically like him holding a bottle rocket in his mouth"

Wendy Jensen "It exploded in his face, and it knocked out all his teeth and part of his tongue and he had blood all over his face, and it set the study on fire"

Jensen says Holloway has been transferred to a burn center.
Firefighters say it was impossible to tell the brand of the electronic cigarette; this is the first time they've heard of one exploding.

Wendy "Oh it's horrible, we were just up all night thinking about it, it's horrible"

Laura Hussey "This incident has been reported to a national database, so any possible patterns can be identified."

edit on 15-2-2012 by Afterthought because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   
I am going with hoax in this story.. The battery on a Ecig is not strong enough to do that amount of damage
and they are the same type batteries as used in laptops. And by the damage done in the story A laptop battery that is a lot bigger would blow your legs off along with something a lot more sensitive.
The only other possibility would be someone booby trapped his e-cig with some explosive or the powder from a couple fire crackers, i know that i could easily do that with the knowledge i have from working as a blaster and the material to do it is easy to get.

Maybe his wife wanted to do him in.
Most media does not check the validity of stories like this

I can remember back about 20 years ago when companies were banning disposable lighter in factories and job site because there were stories that they could explode with the force of a couple sticks if dynamite to a case of dynamite
That story was found to have been started by the union at diamond match company as business started to drop from the sales of disposable lighters.
edit on 15-2-2012 by ANNED because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by isyeye

The only reference i can find to this guy using a 'mod' cigarette is in the comments of the source article. Im not sure how real that is until i see it reported somewhere

edit on 15-2-2012 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   
That is wild and yes there are many questions. However I hope that this father of 3 gets a huge huge settlement.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 02:36 PM
link   
And just when I get my best friend onto them and off the pipe. AHHH!!!!!

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   
He modified the e-cigarette for extra "bang' for his buck,

and got it!

May he recover well, and this serve as a public warning not to mess with electronic oral devices!

Would be a shame if he can still collect damages from the manufacturer,

considering he dangerously modified it with stronger batteries, etc.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

The only reference i can find to this guy using a 'mod' cigarette is in the comments of the source article. Im not sure how real that is until i see it reported somewhere

I just wanted to repeat what you stated above.

There is no evidence yet as to whether or not the cigarette had been altered in any way.
Details are still pending.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   
OK, ATS vapers, based on the language that 'they' are using I would say that this is going to be the first big shot at e-cigs. It looks like folks are already starting to talk about legislation...

So much for being safer. An electronic cigarette blew up in a Florida man's face, leaving him in a hospital with severe burns, missing his front teeth and a chunk of his tongue.

www.cbsnews.com...

The report mentions that there was a battery charger present and that it was a 'large' battery, so it looks like it was a mod for sure. They still won't release the brand, though.

X.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Ah no, boys and girls this is not looking good.

I would personally never buy an 'Ego' unit but...

Again with the fing 'ego' unit: germany?

Finding these is not making me happy...

edit on 16-2-2012 by Xoanon because: X

top topics

join