It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How do YOU cure road trip boredom?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 10:07 AM
link   
With my job, I am on the road alot (driving/riding) and after awhile there is only so many stories that you can banter back and forth with a co-worker in the car. Over the years I've found a few cures for road trip boredom but lately the escape has been through electronic means, such as a PSP, laptop, dvd player or mp3player.

I would like to hear some of the members ideas to break-up the roadtrip monotany WITHOUT the use of electronics.

Some of my fav's are choose a word and put it in place of the manufacture of the cars you see on the road.
(example: the word 'anal'- Anal probe, anal focus, anal charger ect
)

Another one is if you have a jack[snip] tailgating you for no reason, then I will make his drive a living hell by speeding up and slowing down in sync with the cars around me to make him constantly change lanes to try and get around me. Its great when the other motorist around you realize what your doing and they join in the roadtrip torture.

So lets here it ATS, whats your roadtrip boredom cure without the use of electronics?

edit on 14-2-2012 by Talltexxxan because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 10:15 AM
link   
ATS will not permit me to comment on this one... Pffff deny Ignorance?

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 10:16 AM
link   
I spy with my little eye...
kind of childish, but it works.

Another one, kind of like the one you mentioned, is where someone choses a subject, for example: bands from the 90s, horror movies, fruits,... and then you take turns saying one of them.
So if the subject is game titles, you could say Counterstrike, Warcraft, Age of empires, ...
The first person to say one that is already mentioned or can't come up with anything looses.
One of the great things with this is that if you for example use old music bands, you might actually remember some classics you've totally forgotten about

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by NoLoveInFear46and2

ditto buddy! i know what you're getting at

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Gwampo

Yeah I actually made a thread on the subject yesterday and as I got to go and read responses it was taken down already. Thanks mods well at least I did not get banned as my thread title implied.

Oh yeah, a little afternoon delight!!
Peace my brother

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Talltexxxan

The old ones are the best.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   
It's green,

It's sticky,

It smells....

or if that isn't your thing, you could always do the wave at everybody game.

But that only lasts so long...

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 10:53 AM
link   

A good audio book works nicely for me...kids in the back watching a movie (with headphones on...) and the wife and I enjoy an audio book...sometimes fiction...sometimes non-fiction!

The miles fly by...and at times I feel like continuing the drive until the book is over!

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by SilentE
It's green,

It's sticky,

It smells....

or if that isn't your thing, you could always do the wave at everybody game.

But that only lasts so long...

How does dog poop help?

Smelly, sticky, green dog poop...that is original!

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 10:56 AM
link   
I have always composed music on long road trips, but if you cant do that, there's always singing your favorite songs as if you were a cat and all you could say is "meow ". it's great, you don't even have to remember the words.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by jerryznv

A good audio book works nicely for me...kids in the back watching a movie (with headphones on...) and the wife and I enjoy an audio book...sometimes fiction...sometimes non-fiction!

The miles fly by...and at times I feel like continuing the drive until the book is over!

Ahh, but you must read the OP alittle closer, as I stated WITHOUT the use of electronics.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by NoLoveInFear46and2

Took me a second.
I was like what in the world could he be doing that he couldnt say........ooooooooooooohhhhh......... now I see.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Ya I saw that...but it just can't be done by my family...we NEED our electronics!

And officially it is a book...sort of...I guess I could make the wife read to me...that would eliminate the electronic intrusion!

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Ya I saw that...but it just can't be done by my family...we NEED our electronics!

And officially it is a book...sort of...I guess I could make the wife read to me...that would eliminate the electronic intrusion!

The thought of someone reading a book to me in the car seems very werid. I love reading books and I like when my wife reads outloud on the couch as Im napping, but I just dont think it would be the same in the car.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 11:04 AM
link   

How does dog poop help?

Smelly, sticky, green dog poop...that is original!

Hey, don't knock it till you've tried it!

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by cointelprotroll
I have always composed music on long road trips, but if you cant do that, there's always singing your favorite songs as if you were a cat and all you could say is "meow ". it's great, you don't even have to remember the words.

Thats sounds like somthing I would do. Im a goofball at heart and Im sure my wife and kid would get a kick from that. Thanks for the idea.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 11:10 AM
link   
You could try this:

When you pull up to traffic lights. Sit on the green light and pull away just before it turns red. Make sure you've got a good line of cars behind though.

That's always good for a laugh!

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Yeah just try and type in the word and see what happens... Bam!!! Deleted...
Such a dangerous thing as Reagan stated : I've been told that ( bleep) is the most dangerous gurd in America!!!

Sorry for the spelling but I don't even know if I can use this word. Mods?

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   
My mother and dad used to play this game for us, when i was younger much much younger boy.

The idea was to look at cars and generate a name by the face of the car and then group that name to an actor. Seems easy but it gets hard real fast.

How to play

One person picks an oncoming vehicle or one that is beside him,

The people need to generate a name to that car that represents an actor,

If everyone agrees to the name of the actor and the face of the car to that model then its the next person's name

It gets real bitchy when someone picks a truck, so i suggest you exclude all trucks.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Shameless plug I know, but I have Coast to Coast podcasted to my Ipod. Definitely kills the time, and you learn a bit to.

But as you say, without electronics....

Have you heard of the Horse game? (for those who travel by farms)
The people in the car have to spot horses and call them. So whoever calls them first gets them (Horses! 5).
You can bank them in your barn by calling bank when you pass horse trailers. If you pass a cemetary you can bury another persons horses that arent banked. And if you call horses but they are actually cows, then you lose all your horses.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join