It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

5.5 Quake California - (dormant volcanoes were precursor)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   
5.5 Mag Quake Northern Cal., Here's a Dutch Sinse Video expressing his thoughts about what's been happening there.

www.youtube.com...

He has been warning about this lately.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 04:36 PM
link   
I appreciate you posting that. Here "on the edge" in Eureka,I'll be curious to see if something else is coming soon.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by quedup

Here is the location from a 4.3 in Northern California from earlier this week. What is that facility that it was near? Looks very interesting from here in SF, as the video above references fracking. I have no idea what this site is, but it looks to be in the middle of no where -- right at the location of the quake. Thoughts???????

Data from USGS: 4.3
2012/02/12
20:47:12
38.790N
122.745W
5 km ( 3 mi) WNW of Anderson Springs, CA

Google Map from USGS Site:

maps.google.com...(M4.3+-+NORTHERN+CALIFORNIA+-+2012+February+13++04%3A47%3A12+UTC)&ll=38.79,-122.7453&spn=2,2&f=d&t=h&hl=e
edit on 13-2-2012 by SFWatcher because: re added link. error found in previous link

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by SFWatcher

Well spotted - I can't imagine what it might be but sure there'll be some ideas cropping up.

I really wouldn't like to live in Cal with all those volcanoes - dormant or not - the way things are going - we have enough to deal with here in New Zealand just something tells me and many others that California is rumbling for a showdown!

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Dutchsinse is a lousy source in my opinion. It's absurd to link the locations he has used like the location in Utah to anything occurring in that part of California. That alone should make people ignore him.

I would imagine people living there know they live in a very active location and why.

That area sits practically right on a Plate Boundary. See the map below.

The next graphic is of the historic seismicity since 1990.

This one is the risk assessment for that area.

Large earthquakes can and will happen in that area often. It has nothing to do with "dormant volcanoes" which is an absurd notion on it's face.

There are many sites and a huge amount of information on this topic all over the Internet.

It's at the level of comical that this fellow somehow linked this to dormant volcanoes. Fear mongering or attention whoring, you tell me?

edit on 2/13/2012 by Blaine91555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by quedup

Predicted last week by psychic, Blair Robertson:

3. I predict a major tremor will strike California near the middle of this month.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by SpaceJockey1

What's his definition of major? That seems pretty vague to me.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpaceJockey1
reply to post by quedup

Predicted last week by psychic, Blair Robertson:

3. I predict a major tremor will strike California near the middle of this month.

5.5 is not major; but if that's all it takes to be a psychic, I predict an earthquake of similar size nearly every month in California and Alaska for the foreseeable future. Some months there might even be two.

Let me know how I do in a year or two.
edit on 2/13/2012 by Blaine91555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by phoenixlights321

Note he said TREMOR...anyone will tell you that anything over 5 mag can be considered 'major'.

Living in Christchurch New Zealand, where we've had over 10,000 quakes since 4th Sept 2010, I can attest that anything over 5 is MAJOR. Even 4's are causing ongoing damage, and only last week we had 4 of those during one day, and it resulted in one of our major shopping malls needing to have a major portion of its shops CLOSED due to new damage.

Anyway, this 5.6 in CA might just be a foreshock to a much bigger one...what would satisfy your understanding of what MAJOR might equate to?

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by SFWatcher
reply to post by quedup

Here is the location from a 4.3 in Northern California from earlier this week. What is that facility that it was near? Looks very interesting from here in SF, as the video above references fracking. I have no idea what this site is, but it looks to be in the middle of no where -- right at the location of the quake. Thoughts???????

Data from USGS: 4.3
2012/02/12
20:47:12
38.790N
122.745W
5 km ( 3 mi) WNW of Anderson Springs, CA

Google Map from USGS Site:

maps.google.com...(M4.3+-+NORTHERN+CALIFORNIA+-+2012+February+13++04%3A47%3A12+UTC)&ll=38.79,-122.7453&spn=2,2&f=d&t=h&hl=e
edit on 13-2-2012 by SFWatcher because: re added link. error found in previous link

It's a geothermal power plant.

www.geysers.com...
edit on 2/13/2012 by JackBauer because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

If I remember correctly, wasn't it YOU that made some inane comment over our earthquakes in New Zealand (a 6.3 which ended up KILLING over 180 people), with a similar statement, and then get your AS* handed to you on a platter, that caused you to backtrack for being so INSENSITIVE???

People have been KILLED by earthquakes of less size than the one that just struck CA...how could that not be called MAJOR?

And BTW, there has NOT been anything near a 5.5 in CA each month, so don't ever go in to the PSYCHIC prediction business, as you'll quickly go BROKE!

edit on 13-2-2012 by SpaceJockey1 because: add comment

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 05:41 PM
link   

I don't know if this is a universal standard, but it breaks them down into classes. If that psychic is used to predicting earthquakes then I'd assume he'd use a scale that some are used to as to avoid vagueness. On the other hand, if he has actually said that he considers 5+ to be a major earthquake then that's a different story

Class Magnitude
Great 8 or more
Major 7 - 7.9
Strong 6 - 6.9
Moderate 5 - 5.9
Light 4 - 4.9
Minor 3 -3.9

two sources i found that use this scale: www.china.org.cn...
www.geo.mtu.edu...

edits: typo, adding links
edit on 13-2-2012 by phoenixlights321 because: (no reason given)

Also, he predicted that the Patriots would win the Superbowl. Just saying.

edit on 13-2-2012 by phoenixlights321 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

Hope you're right - he usually is and has a track record.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by quedup

I wrote off Dutchsinse a long time ago (since the "HAARP rings" which are radar signatures and the horribly wrong use of standard weather maps stating they're clouds of radiation coming from Japan!) so I won't click on his link, but if anyone's looking at the earthquake data, this could be big!

This 5.5 so close to the Mendocino Triple Junction could be a precursor to a "major" (7+) earthquake in my opinion. The whole rest of the Ring of Fire has been uber active but the Juan de Fuca and MTJ have seen almost nothing.... this is a wake up call to be earthquake prepared in my opinion.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 04:57 AM
link   

I'm in Chch.. it's not the size of a quake that kills, a lot depends on where that quake hits. Remember, it's not earthquakes that kill, it's buildings/landslides and other resulting phenomena. I live just a few kms from the epicentre of the 7.1. We have plenty of 5s here in NZ that don't kill and similarly so does California and other places on the Ring of Fire.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Well, the southern part of the San Andreas Fault recieved the shake.. It set off a small 4.9 quake near Baha...
Hope this doesn't awaken anything... For some reason, I've been seeing more stressing on the fault near San Francisco than anywhere else...

I Hope it just calms down...

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpaceJockey1
reply to post by phoenixlights321

Note he said TREMOR...anyone will tell you that anything over 5 mag can be considered 'major'.

Living in Christchurch New Zealand, where we've had over 10,000 quakes since 4th Sept 2010, I can attest that anything over 5 is MAJOR. Even 4's are causing ongoing damage, and only last week we had 4 of those during one day, and it resulted in one of our major shopping malls needing to have a major portion of its shops CLOSED due to new damage.

Anyway, this 5.6 in CA might just be a foreshock to a much bigger one...what would satisfy your understanding of what MAJOR might equate to?

Either you have me confused with somebody else or your just and angry person who does not like debate. Only you know that. No need for a personal attack because I don't care for psychics who deal in fear for fun and profit.

I've been in a large quake in Los Angeles and one in Alaska. You might recall the 7.9 on the Denali Fault in 2002 where my house was near enough it rocked like a boat.

I was about two miles from the epicenter of the San Fernando Earthquake in 1971 which was a 6.6 (7.2 under the scale then if I recall correctly) and killed 65 people. The reason I was there was to start my education for a degree in Geology which I received after attending a local College and then Cal State in Pomona. Then I switched Majors and went on to UCLA.

The one in Los Angeles I was on a bus and to be honest were it not for the rubble in the streets on Wilshire afterwards, it felt like a the bus was going over ruts. It was surreal as the driver announced over the microphone we were in a major quake. Then as we ended up going down Wilshire the street was full of bricks and glass.

The one here, at my location the estimate was, it would have felt like a 5.5 to a 5.6. My dog slept through it while I watched the water in my aquarium slosh back and forth as the house rocked like a boat on water. Luckily it was centered away from the population and nobody was killed even though a 7.9 is huge. We have quakes here almost daily, only you cant feel most of them.

Precursor quakes are far rarer than the other way around. You do live in an area as risky as where I am. We also have the volcanoes to deal with from time to time, but not often.

Risk depends on the quality of construction. A modern building where there are adequate building codes has very little risk from a 5.5. Only poorly constructed buildings in places with improper building standards would suffer any meaningful damage. If you live in a building like that, you do have something to fear.

In California the standards have been high for well over 40 years. Most old building have been brought up to modern standards. It's not the same at all. A stick frame house will easily go through a 5.5 with no problems. Even in 71 only the facades and glass were damaged. The injuries and deaths came from flying bricks and glass and people running into the street and becoming targets. I know, I was there. The old building with brick facades were dangerous. They know better now. The same quake would likely hurt nobody at all.

Anyway the dormant volcanoes have no possible link to these quakes. It only proves the person putting forth the idea has zero knowledge on the topic. That is simply a fact.

edit on 2/14/2012 by Blaine91555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 12:24 AM
link   
Funny that - only two days since your comments - Mag 6 Oregon Mmmm

top topics

join