It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Monsanto guilty of chemical poisoning in France

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Monsanto guilty of chemical poisoning in France

in.reuters.com

A French court on Monday declared U.S. biotech giant Monsanto(MON.N) guilty of chemical poisoning of a French farmer, a judgment that could lend weight to other health claims against pesticides.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   
I'm not very into this type of subject, but I know a lot of ATS members are.

Just thought you guys would enjoy the news (those who argue against Monsanto "plans"), since this actually is a declaration of "guilty" for chemical poisoning.

Personally? I have seen europe give the middle finger to these sorts of thing before. We have a lot of biological, chemical free suppliers for our food.

At least in my country, you have mandatory labels on products (from milk to meat) telling you the source of those products, and how safe they are.

Glad to know that these sort of thing is still handled properly in Europe.

Regards

in.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Monsanto is one of those companies who is deeply rooted in lobbying in DC. Clarence Thomas, a US Supreme Court judge, was a lawyer for Monsanto. My point is Monsanto is above the law in the United States. While this poisoning is sad and tragic, I really hope that France lays down the law and Monsanto gets what they deserve.
edit on 13-2-2012 by jrod because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Thank you for the post. You are very lucky your country has the mandatory labeling. We however, are not so lucky here.
I really am hopefully, that with this verdict and other countries at least taking them to court, that we may have a chance here in the U.S. Although I do realize that they have their hands in too many pockets here.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   
ah you beat me to it.

just made a thread, got closed already

The French association of crop protection companies, UIPP, are downplaying the claims saying;

"I think if we had a major health problem with pesticides, we would have already known about it," Jean-Charles Bocquet, UIPP's managing director, said.

i hope Monsanto gets it.

here another one of my theads about Monsanto.

300.000 Organic Farmers Sue Monsanto In Federal Court

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Perhaps it would have been prudent to not inhale pesticides... If I go suck on my exhaust pipe and it gives me brain damage do I get to sue BMW? I'm no fan of Monsanto but this seems like a silly lawsuit. The obviously poisonous stuff didn't say it was poisonous...

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

You do know that pesticides can be absorbed into your skin, right?

Here's some more info in case anyone is interested:
www.extension.org...

Dermal Route

Wet, dry, or gaseous forms of pesticides can be absorbed through the skin. This may occur if pesticides are allowed to get on the skin while mixing or applying, or if pesticide-contaminated clothing is not removed promptly and properly cleaned before being worn again. Oil or paste forms allow greater absorption through the skin than water-based pesticides. Some pesticides do not pass through the skin very readily. Others are quickly absorbed through the skin and can be as dangerous as if they were swallowed. Skin varies in its capacity to act as a barrier to pesticide absorption. The eyes, eardrums, scalp and groin areas absorb pesticides more quickly than other areas on the body. Damaged or open skin can be penetrated by a pesticide much more readily than healthy, intact skin. Once they are absorbed through skin, pesticides enter the blood stream and are carried throughout the body.

edit on 13-2-2012 by Afterthought because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Afterthought

In the first such case heard in court in France, grain grower Paul Francois says he suffered neurological problems including memory loss, headaches and stammering after inhaling Monsanto's (MON.N) Lasso weedkiller in 2004.

I am aware. Either way it seems silly to assume something is safe because it isn't labeled. I suppose some people need to read that the knife is sharp or guns can kill people. Sadly those are the people we should let die as they are screwing up the gene pool.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Sadly those are the people we should let die as they are screwing up the gene pool.

perhaps we should leave yours out as well...

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

I see that he thinks that he was only inhaling it, but in reality, he was absorbing it into his skin as well.

If a company expects its workers to be around pesticides, they should be required to supply them with Hazmat suits.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 04:08 PM
link   

If a company expects its workers to be around pesticides, they should be required to supply them with Hazmat suits.

I would certainly agree with that. What company was he working for? I was under the impression that he was in business for himself and was just using Monsantos pesticides. Perhaps he should have realized that poison is poisonous.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   

LOVED this commercial during the Grammies last night. If it didn't make you tear up, well .. . keep eating your GMO's
edit on 13-2-2012 by amongus because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Just to give you a good idea of how toxic pesticides are, a good few years ago I was working as an office manager at a lawn care and pest control company. My office was beside the door that went out to where they stored the chemicals. After working there about two weeks, I decided to bring in my fish from home to keep on my desk. The fish had been living happily and in good health at my home for about 3 months. Two days after I brought him to work, he was dead. I can only figure that the little bit of dust that was carried in by the wind when the door was opened and closed was enough to taint the water in his bowl killing him. It's good that I only worked there for about 6months before the company went under. I shudder to think about breathing in/absorbing the dust and fumes in that place every day and what it may have done to my health in the long term.
edit on 13-2-2012 by Afterthought because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   

It's pretty easy to kill fish as I understand but I do fully agree that pesticides are very dangerous/bad for you. I think anyone with some common sense knows that. My point here is that a farmer cleaning out his pesticide tank without a respirator/proper precautions should not expect the manufacturer of the stuff to pay out a settlement because they didn't label the pesticide as toxic.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Healthy fish don't die that quickly. I doubt anyone intentionally killed the fish either because everyone I worked with were very friendly.

Of course he should've been smart enough to protect himself, but then again, we have people who have sued and won because they weren't informed that the coffee was hot before they spilled it on themselves driving.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1
It's pretty easy to kill fish as I understand but I do fully agree that pesticides are very dangerous/bad for you. I think anyone with some common sense knows that.
Unfortunately, common sense is apparently not as common as we would like. This is the reason my massive windsheld cover which covers the entire windshield, keep the car cooler inside when it's parked, and protects the top of the dahboard from UV radiation has a warning label on it: "Caution: do not drive with this windshield cover covering up the windshield".

If common sense were common, no such warning would be needed LOL. But I must say that any pesticides I buy are plastered with so many warnings on top of warnings that I have to wonder exactly what the labels looked like that were involved in this case.

He blames the agri-business giant for not providing adequate warnings on the product label.
So it had warnings...I guess he claimed they were inadequate. Maybe they forgot to include the warning "caution: do not use as mouthwash"? Lasso must be nasty stuff though, since it's been pulled off the market in several countries.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1
Perhaps it would have been prudent to not inhale pesticides... If I go suck on my exhaust pipe and it gives me brain damage do I get to sue BMW? I'm no fan of Monsanto but this seems like a silly lawsuit. The obviously poisonous stuff didn't say it was poisonous...

Nice try but....FAIL.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 09:44 PM
link   
guilty of poisoning food where ever they go.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 11:32 PM
link   
im going to start washing my produce a lot more thoroughly. alas, you cannot wash off modified dna.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 12:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Tifozi

Duduman

www.handofhelp.com...

said that . . . in addition to Iran, Russia, China, Cuba, Lybia, Mexico . . . there would be one European Nation attacking the USA.

Have long thought it might well be France.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm

top topics

<<   2 >>

join