It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You know how when you Press Your Eyes, you get interesting effects?? Well,

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 03:34 AM
link   
I'm just looking for an explanation to why this happened to me.

Maybe not everyone has done it, but I can't imagine that they haven't. I'm talking about when you press your eyes with your hands and look forward with your eyes closed. You don't do it too heavily as to do real damage, but sometimes I've pressed them to the point of some lesser pain. Also, it's not something one does all the time, but more like a "Oh yeah!" "I can do this thing." thing. At any rate, you press them, eyes closed and look forward. For me, I get a cavalcade of colors with a central bright "tunnel of life" type of light forming rather rapidly. Then the geometric (mostly squarish) patterns appear.

So, yesterday, I was in the shower for a good while. When I finished showering, I put the towel over my head and rubbed my face. Then I got the "Oh yeah! This thing!" thing and pressed my eyes. It was fun as usual and I think a little more intensely colored than other times as well. But then, something else happened. I realized I could "see my breath" in the form of heat as I would breathe. It was very similar to the effect one sees when looking at heat radiating out from something like a sidewalk in July. It was definitely my breath as I did this for over a minute to make certain the ghostly imagery coincided with my breathing and matched what I felt on my skin with my head inside the dark, almost black towel. However, I've been baffled about this since it happened as my eyelids were shut and my hands pressed snugly against them. So why/how did I see this??

Feel free to discuss your own eye-pressing experiences as well of course.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 03:38 AM
link   
reply to post by gottaknow

In my day the kids would huff markers.... boy how times have changed....

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 03:45 AM
link   
Lol - I've recently turned 42 btw. The post does have a juvenile quality to it though I'd have to agree. I'm just looking for a science-y explanation for what I could see. I can't stop thinking about it.
edit on 13-2-2012 by gottaknow because: added info.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 03:51 AM
link   
I use to do that when i waz little and spots would pop up everywhere, then It was like i was going to this square never ending tunnel moving at what seemed the speed of light. Like hyper space

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 03:55 AM
link   
Sweet - I've gotten some of the hyper-drive effect before as well. Maybe it's different for everyone!

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 03:55 AM
link   
To the OP. I used to do this as a child while sitting on the toilet. Well what else can you do when you're just sitting there waiting for stuff to happen?
I agree. Lots of lovely effects, from coloured clouds to persian carpet patterns, grids, stars, the lot. Nice little hobby.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 04:00 AM
link   

Phosphene: A sensation of light caused by excitation of the retina by mechanical or electrical means rather than by light, as when the eyeballs are pressed through closed lids.

Source

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 04:02 AM
link   
I have visuals all the time, but I have vision issues to begin with.
I wear glasses and get tired eyes all the time, to which i take off the glasses and rub my eyes. So yeah I get the kaliedascope effect you mention. It goes away fairly quickly. But then If I'm in a dark room and resting my eyes I sometimes see a light phantom, or strange moving anomaly that dances around, then dissolves, then repeats. I have a condition similar to Macular Degeneration and have blurry and wiggly vision out of one eye.

The past few months I have been doing meditation focusing on my Pineal gland and have had even more weird visuals. At night I meditate before bed, and as I sit in bed I relax my eyes (eyes closed completely) and just concentrate on my vision. At first it was hard to tell until I would wave my hand in front of my eyes, but its as if I can see in the dark through my eyelids. Well this is what I thought at first (this happened a few times to me before I got into meditation or any spiritual studies) until I started to slowly move my head around looking for changes in my vision and notice I can almost see the room, but the weird thing is it's NOT the room I'm in it seems. Its like the last scene in the Matrix where Neo can see the Matrix, but VERY subtle, greyish/purple blurry features. I never have seen anything move or any real detail (it only happens when I concentrate on it), just the boundary of the walls, ceiling and floor that does not always match the room I'm in. It has gotten pretty weird at times but I just relax and allow my mind to drift and the visions stop.

Cool topic

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 04:04 AM
link   
reply to post by bhornbuckle75

Awesome bhornbuckle75! I knew I could count on this site. Certainly didn't expect something this quickly!
Not sure that explains the breath part yet, but it does account for the visuals for certain! *off to research phosphenes*

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 04:09 AM
link   

hey i understand what you're talking about.

I think you'd be interested in my litte story;

At night when i'm laying down almost asleep i can see things around my room, sort of like a black and white image, Just blackness and then outlines of the room around me.

But as soon as i notice i flinch and wake up a little, making me open my eyes and the images going away.

I also see other things, while my eyes are closed, that aren't things and objects from my room. Sometimes i'll see faces, or movement, or a place far away. It's hard to remember exactly what i've seen because i usually pass out while this is happening, cause well, it happens when i'm just about asleep.

I think this is somewhat in relation to what you're talking about.

Oh and when i do the eye thing, i also see geometric patterns flowing in the darkness.

jfyi

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 04:18 AM
link   
reply to post by dannotz

Dude, I love the hypnogogic state before going to sleep - I get that too sometimes. Mostly, I just get this crazy stream of thinking when falling asleep and sometimes, I can piece it together. When I was younger(before my apnea days) I would be able to weave those thoughts into some very lucid dreaming experiences.

Glad you get the patterns - I told a friend about it and he gets "oily" colors, but no patterns.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 04:25 AM
link   

i know what you are talking about, for me i dont have to press my eyes at all, just close them and try to focus on the back of my eye lids try to actualy see them, it initiates the same thing which for me will last for so long as i watch it, no physical pressure neccesary

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 04:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by gottaknow
reply to post by bhornbuckle75

Awesome bhornbuckle75! I knew I could count on this site. Certainly didn't expect something this quickly!
Not sure that explains the breath part yet, but it does account for the visuals for certain! *off to research phosphenes*

Thanks

You're right though, in that my reply doesn't quite address the 'breath' effect you described....Hmmm that ones a conundrum to me...I've never heard of that before. Maybe someone else will have an answer to that one.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 05:12 AM
link   
Sounds like a similar effect to the optical migraines I sometimes get.
Usually it happens after too much time sat in front of the PC under artificial lighting, so I try to take a break from the PC at least every couple of hours.

During these episodes, I get a kaleidoscope effect of moving crystalline shapes in the peripheral vision and focus diminishes to a narrow tunnel vision. Very interesting effects and I only found out what they were a couple of years ago, although they'd been happening for a good 5 years or so beforehand. Remedy is most often just get up and leave the PC for 30 minutes or so, or go sit in a dark room for a while.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 06:08 AM
link   
I have come across some Organic experiments that people can practice by themselves.

1. If one has ever sat in a dim room or outside at dusk, and loosely gazed at one spot for an extended period 1-2 minutes at least, whilst already relaxed and in deep thought, they may recall seeing/feeling pulsating ripples that seemed to emanate out of or into your centre of visual awareness and/or temperature sensors around and the head and chest. This can often happen as one is watching TV in a dim room.

The ripples will have different colours depending on ones own state of mind, and they have a fuzzy pixelated quality about them. They are also synonymous with the Torus shape as they are rings that shrink inwards or expand outwards and then dissipate at the periphery of ones awareness as they come down or up the Vortational axis centred on the 3rd eye and spinal column (pranic tube). I say 3rd eye because regardless of whether one closes one eye or the other one can still see these ripples uniformly as if each of their eyes are open and observing them. They do not change in intensity of colour as one uses on eye with the other shut as would be expected if these rippling pulses were external and operating on the measurable band of energy that would be filtered by the eye-lid. Akin to when one closes their eyes and faces the sun, that which is golden-white day-light becomes red behind closed eyelids, if ones closed eyes stays oriented to the sun like this long enough there will be a bluish/aqua hue overlaying everything once they open them. These pulses in question are instead fixed upon ones awareness and centred, visually speaking, on the optic nerves/pineal gland (3rd eye). This is apparent because the visual pulsing follows as ones eyes move, one can evoke a similar effect by applying gentle yet firm continuous pressure to the eyelids when closed. After a short while of waiting pixelated patterns will pool and swirl in the closed eye field.

This occurs because the eyes rods and cones that rely on oxygen where the blood is being prevented from saturating the eyes capillaries are starved of oxygen where the pressure is being applied, and the ones that are not are under greater blood pressure and oxygen absorption than normal. However when one perceives this pixelated ripple effect without evoking it physically in a dim room the colours and patterns are less abstract and uniformly symmetric, and they are not occurring due to pressure. This entails that they are an extension of ones own Toroid/Auric field patters projected from the 3rd eye which translate down the optic nerve. When one sits still they can use these pulsations to detect other high frequently emanations that create interference patterns with their own auric toroids pulsations, these external fields actually remain static in location as one moves their eyes producing a streaming interference pattern across their own relative visual pulsations display as the 3rd eye translates the external information through, this entails that there is a 2 way aspect whereby the eyes can actually tune into the higher frequencies by being carried upon the 3rd eyes field directly, rather than translated info of the Aura and its state/environmental EM interference perception channelled down the optic nerve from the pineal gland. When one is very still they can sense the external fields in the subtle layers of their own aura as pressure/warmth when they are close.

edit on 13-2-2012 by Spiratio because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 07:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Britguy
Sounds like a similar effect to the optical migraines I sometimes get.
Usually it happens after too much time sat in front of the PC under artificial lighting, so I try to take a break from the PC at least every couple of hours.

During these episodes, I get a kaleidoscope effect of moving crystalline shapes in the peripheral vision and focus diminishes to a narrow tunnel vision. Very interesting effects and I only found out what they were a couple of years ago, although they'd been happening for a good 5 years or so beforehand. Remedy is most often just get up and leave the PC for 30 minutes or so, or go sit in a dark room for a while.

That effect is related to the migraine headache family of symptoms. I've had that phenomena occurr to me a few times with none of the headaches usually attached. In fact, I've never had a migraine. What I see around the periphery of my vision I can best liken to very bright, almost fluorescent carpet fibers. These are called in migraine work as "zig-zags." On the web.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 08:02 AM
link   
Oh God...The ANGLES...THE ANGLES!!!!!

new topics

top topics

join