It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Sugar Conspiracy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Often you hear the Coke Cola conspiracy thrown around. But that is only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the real problem. That problem is sugar. So what is causing this huge obesity epidemic? Well YOU are, but that is beside the point. Here is why you are all fat:

1. Sugar Drinks (This includes: Soda, Lemonade, Sweet Tea, Gatorade, Juice, etc.)
2. Sugar Goods (This includes: Cakes, pastries, chocolate, candy, etc.)
3. Sugar Condiments (This includes: Sugar, Ketchup, Mayo, etc.)

Cut those from your diet while you are still skinny and never have to worry about what you eat ever again. If you are fat, you will experience weight loss by cutting all this from your diet, but you still have to diet and cut even more to make up for all those years of eating in excess. Took you a long time to get fat, it will take you a long time to get back skinny. Deal with it.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Someone i know drinks a 12 pack of pop a day, eats very unhealthy and is 6'2'' and 160 pounds.

Tell me dr. polack, why?

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by jvm222

He probably doesn't eat that much. At the end of the day it is always calories in vs calories out. No one's body defys the laws of thermodynamics. But if you think he is really defying physics. Submit him to a science lab and win nobel peace price.

btw 6'2 @ 160 is rather unhealthy weight. Could be hormone problems and imbalances.
edit on 12-2-2012 by Slavich because: (no reason given)

It could also be because he doesn't eat or drink all that everyday. It takes continued over eating for consistent long periods of time to get fat. Who would of thunk it?

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 10:41 AM
link   
I have to say you are correct.

I cut out all sugar from my diet, including ketchup..and the weight dropped off.

Look at even how many grams of sugar is in milk. We should only consume 20 grams or less of sugar a day.

I now buy Almond milk.

Home made ketchup...mayo is a no no..there are products that we dont even realize how much sugar they contain.

Read labels..you'll be amazed at how empty your shopping cart will be by the time you check out..lol

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Slavich

he is extremely unhealthy but isn't it common for unused carbs to turn into fat storage? Would an imbalance of hormones cause someone to not gain weight more if lets say they had a estrogen imbalance in which they had very little estrogen in their systems with a mass amount of testosterone? Could it also be turned around and lets say an excess of estrogen in males with a lack of testosterone causes increased weight gain?

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Yummy Freelunch
I have to say you are correct.

I cut out all sugar from my diet, including ketchup..and the weight dropped off.

Look at even how many grams of sugar is in milk. We should only consume 20 grams or less of sugar a day.

I now buy Almond milk.

Home made ketchup...mayo is a no no..there are products that we dont even realize how much sugar they contain.

Read labels..you'll be amazed at how empty your shopping cart will be by the time you check out..lol

You should try making your own raw almond milk. It is very creamy and flavorful. Much better tasting that pasteurized milk.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by jvm222
reply to post by Slavich

he is extremely unhealthy but isn't it common for unused carbs to turn into fat storage? Would an imbalance of hormones cause someone to not gain weight more if lets say they had a estrogen imbalance in which they had very little estrogen in their systems with a mass amount of testosterone? Could it also be turned around and lets say an excess of estrogen in males with a lack of testosterone causes increased weight gain?

Depends on the carbs. Not all carbohydrates are digest the same. Glucose is digested differently then fructose in the liver, and your body can even pass food through the digestive system without absorbing any energy at all! (this is mostly dont with fibrous food). The problem with simple sugar is that it is READILY digested. Not only quickly, but also efficiently.

Source? Me.

My background?

Nutrition Major at Major University
Competitive Power lifter
Part time Body Buildah

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Slavich

Originally posted by jvm222
reply to post by Slavich

Depends on the carbs. Not all carbohydrates are digest the same. Glucose is digested differently then fructose in the liver, and your body can even pass food through the digestive system without absorbing any energy at all! (this is mostly dont with fibrous food). The problem with simple sugar is that it is READILY digested. Not only quickly, but also efficiently.

Source? Me.

My background?

Nutrition Major at Major University
Competitive Power lifter
Part time Body Buildah

I trust in you know what you're saying that is why i asked

What is your personal opinion on the ingestion of vegetables and fruits with their own occurring sugar? Is there a limit on how much you should still eat compared to manufactured sugar in products? Is there a way to balance specific foods out, like eating pineapple with meat. Is there anything you can recommend reading that describes this type of information?

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by jvm222

There isn't no hocus pocus to this. It is simply calories in vs calories out. As long as you meet your nutritional needs then you are cool. It doesn't even matter what you eat after that point. You can get fat eating nothing but vegetables, chicken, and fruit just like you can get fat by drinking tons of soda. It would just be A LOT harder and time consuming eating all that food! lol. The key is simple: Moderation in all that we eat. (and do).

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   
If that were true, i would weigh like 950 pnds. I am 150 and 6'2''.

And I drink cokes, eat fast food, hot dogs. and whatever else i want.

A friend of mine weighs about 400 right now.

Watches his diet, eats no BS like I do, he has also had a tummy-band? or gastric bypass, can't remember.

He can't get under about 375, also, he isn't a lazy person either.

Anywho, you can't lump all people in the same groups, just because it works for you.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Slavich

I would suggest you do not know what you are talking about.
Sugar is not the best thing for you sure, but try to find something that does have "sugar" in it.
There are a few things out there that have stuck to their sugar recipe but many have gone to the High Fructose Corn Syrup recipe.
Obesity has become and "epidemic" say about 30ish years ago, go and see about when HFCS came on the scene, there you will find the true answer.
The "real" sugar conspiracy is making people believe that the real culprit is sugar, and or sugar and HFCS are one in the same.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 06:56 PM
link   
I agree,sugar is not to blame here,it high fructose corn syrup.

Health concerns have been raised about high fructose corn syrup, which allege contribution to obesity, cardiovascular disease, diabetes, and non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. A peer-reviewed study in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition by John S White who is a Consultant in sweeteners, HFCS and sucrose for the Food and Beverage Industry and also has a professional association with the Corn Refiners Association, rejects the HFCS-obesity hypothesis and finds that "[a]lthough examples of pure fructose causing metabolic upset at high concentrations abound, especially when fed as the sole carbohydrate source, there is no evidence that the common fructose-glucose sweeteners do the same."[13]

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Exercise and physical activity... that is the key.

Less activity, then you likewise eat less. More activity, then you can eat more.

Back a generation or so, most people burned off several thousand calories a day doing manual labor. However, with kids playing video games instead of riding bikes and building forts and tree houses and playing ball... the kids are getting fatter. With adults working in cubicles and utilizing machinary and hydraulics and computers instead of brute strength, adults are getting fatter.

The problem is we still eat like we are going to work at the sawmill.

Breakfast would be a couple of eggs, bacon or ham, bisquits and gravy, homemade jelly or preserves, mollasses and butter ... grits or fried potatoes.

Lunch would be chicken and dumplings, beans, corn bread, and a desert.

Supper would be leftovers from lunch and another batch of bisquits or corn bread....

No shortage of carbs and sugar there. The trouble is, most folks I know still eat like that and then go to work in the office or sit on their dozer or in their truck all day. Guess what? After a few years, they are fat as hogs. Hey, I love food as much as anybody and have to watch it myself.

No sugar conspiracy or Coke conspiracy or grease conspiracy... just a "eat too damn much and don't work it off" conspiracy.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Not a conspiracy. Eating sugar filled crap causes weight gain. Well, processed sugar, as natural sugar from fruits and food such as honey is good for you.

Where's the conspiracy? People used to cook every meal, which required natural, healthier foods. Now people microwave the processed version, or eat out. Of course that's unhealthier.

People years ago realized sweets, and sugary foods were meant for dessert, not snacks three times per day, plus after each meal. Brownies were unhealthy and sugary fifty years ago as they are now. Same with cookies. Same with candy. The difference is that people used to be more active, and eat less sweets.

I'd say it's quite dumb to increase ones intake of sugar, and not expect negative health effects. Sweets used to be a treat, now they're what many turn to to satisfy hunger. People used to cook, now all the sudden they don't have time to cook, even though restaurants are packed. People used to be more active, given there wasn't cable tv, video games, wireless internet and ipads.

Try living like people did for thousands of years, and then tell me there is some sugar conspiracy. Cook dinner, don't order/microwave it. Instead of sitting and watching tv for hours, sitting at the computer for hours or playing video games, go for a walk, do yard work, wash your car by hand, go for a hike, go hit golf balls, do something. People sit on their butts more than ever, eat unhealthier than ever, eat more sugar than ever, and than try to say there's a conspiracy regarding sugar?

Just eat less of it. And get off your butt.

new topics

top topics

join