It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

LA bans frisbees and football on the beach

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   
So if you get caught playing frisbee or football at the beach, you could get up to $1,000 fine. This is so stupid to try to make these thing a crime. Obviously, just another way to take our freedoms and make money for the city.

Come Memorial Day, beachgoers in Los Angeles County won't be able to play a pickup game of Frisbee, sand soccer, beach Quidditch or flag football. Part of a 37-page ordinance passed Tuesday by the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors identifies which flying objects are prohibited on the beach between Memorial Day and Labor Day. Beach volleyball players needn't worry—the amendments specifically permit beach volleyballs and inflatable beach balls—but anyone who plans to "cast, toss, throw, kick or roll any ball, tube or light object other than a beach ball or beach volleyball" can be fined as much as $1,000 if they're caught in the act.

A thousand dollar fine?? Why? Beach football is fun, and imo much safer than playing on a hard football field. Who is this supposed to protect?

www.kfiam640.com...

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   
I think that if I lived there I would attempt to get every single person in the area to show up on the beach with the banned items on the first day the law takes effect. When they show up to enforce the new law, take the banned items and.......(use your imagination here)........

This may be the most ignorant law I've seen yet. I see no reason for a law such as this. What are they worried about? Someone might get hit with a frisbee?....Afraid of people enjoying themselves?

The only sensible course of action to me, would be to stand up against such ignorance.
If I lived there, I would be there first person to be fined.
edit on 9-2-2012 by isyeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Hey look!

Another ridiculous law brought to you by the nanny state.

Don't you feel safer knowing you will not get decapitated by a deadly frisbee or football while beaching yourself?

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Burning the candle of stupidity at both ends.

We're all too fat so lets regulate the hell out of what you eat.

Activities are dangerous so lets ban tag, football, frisbee, and walking above 4mph.

They can regulate all my food to rice cakes but if my ass cant get up and play I'm still going to be fat.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   
do it anyway.
if enough people play frisby it'll be impossible to process all the "criminals" (hopefuly)
lol saying criminal to describe people playing frisby or other beach games is hilarious to me.
laws like this are clearly about making money while pretending to be about your safety.

were there thousands of deaths related to beach activities lately, if not this is a load of bosswollocks.
fight the power (if you got $1000 spare)
edit on 9/2/2012 by listerofsmeg because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by ReadyPower

Isn't it like a dream living in the land of the "FREE"???

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Frisbees might be a bit much but footballs can be a hazard.

I personally witnesses a crew of young teens throwing a ball about on a crowded beach. They would miss and it would bounce close to us. We asked them to kindly move or be careful, i didnt want my young daughter getting beaned. They assured us they would be more careful and kept right on doing what they were doing.

Within five minutes they pasted a young child sitting close to us, knocking him absolutely silly and causing him to bleed like mad. If i was that childs father i would have beat those kids black and blue.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by nightbringr

Lots of things are dangerous.

Do we need legislation for every damn thing under the sun?

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Well, it seems they are not completely banned. They are just allowing it only in certain designated areas now. Or you can still do it, with a permit from the Director of the Department of Beaches and Harbors or with permission from a local lifeguard or firechief....

The County says that people can still play Frisbee (or any other game that requires throwing or kicking a ball, object or tube) in designated areas or if they have a permit from the director of the Department of Beaches and Harbors or permission from a local lifeguard or fire chief.

That said, it still seems rather silly. Can it be that much of an issue? It really does seem like just another way to get more money... If they are seeing it as a danger..Why allow it at all? It doesn't make sense to me.

edit on 9-2-2012 by gimme_some_truth because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 03:10 PM
link   
they're just trying to limit the inevitable radiation exposure, coming to a beach near you.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   
They will have an area for throwing things. Yeah, I liked throwing things, but I also got hit in the head. I don:t really care much about this silly law they won't enforce much. I smoke on the beach all the time, it too is illegal.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by sixswornsermon

Lots of things are dangerous.

Do we need legislation for every damn thing under the sun?

Excuse me, maybe you can point out the part of my post showing i want legislation banning it? I simply said the way the kids were throwing it was a hazard, and i would have beat the little punks, not charged them.

I could teach them a lot more about respect with my fist than a misdemeanor charge ever would.

edit on 9-2-2012 by nightbringr because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 03:27 PM
link   
So will there be a law that bans swimming in beaches, because sharks can be a hazard? I think I would rather get hit by a Frisbee or a football then to get my leg bitten off. This is non-sense...

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   
wow..what's this world comming too? If you cant play football and frisbee on the beach, where's next? the parks..? So sad..

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Your argument was the exact one I'm sure some committee made to get this crap passed. However, the question I posted was supposed to be general, not specific to you. Apologies.

In your circumstance, you handled it the way people should handle things, but don't seem to have the nads for any longer.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by sixswornsermon

Your argument was the exact one I'm sure some committee made to get this crap passed. However, the question I posted was supposed to be general, not specific to you. Apologies.

In your circumstance, you handled it the way people should handle things, but don't seem to have the nads for any longer.

No worries.

I am quite anti-big government. I, like you, dont want laws passed for each and every little thing simply to "protect us from ourselves". Im a bit older, and remember a time when everything wasnt so sterile and safe.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Amen to that. I'm probably not as old as you, but the way I grew up would probably scare most parents these days.

Biking with no helmet, dogs with no leashes, campfires on the beach, frisbees flying everywhere.........

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   
So, thank you for F'ing up my mortgage. Thank you for raising my taxes. Thank you for my lost job. The one thing that can relieve some stress, going out on the beach and tossing a fricking football you take away.

Why does this REALLY feel like 1984?

This is total bullsnip.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Wow.

What's next, no sand in sand boxes because some kid might swallow some? Will swing sets be made illegal because some kid fell off and sprained his ankle?

How is getting hit in the head by a frisbee more dangerous than swimming in shark infested waters, which Cali has? Logically, isn't surfing more dangerous than tossing a football around? Statistically, isn't the drive too the beach far more dangerous than tossing a ball? God this is dumb.

There are far too many stupid people in this world in positions of authority.
edit on 9-2-2012 by MysticPearl because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by ReadyPower

Americans are a bunch of pu**y's. We're scared of flying footballs, and frisbees, and bicycles and skateboards on sidewalks. People need to grow up and accept that reality brings danger. You don't want the danger, don't go to the beach, you don't make it illegal to play football on the beach, you make it legal, and if you don't like it you don't go. Simple as that.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join