It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DARPA Seeks Soldier Memory System

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2004 @ 12:09 PM
link   
This is a few days old, but I'm not seeing it reported anywhere. Hopefully this post isn't a repeat.

The Pentagon is hoping to build a soldier-mounted camera, video and audio recording system to capture battlefield events.
The system replaces what the Defense Advanced Research Project Agency once called Life Log, a soldier automatic memory system intended to record not just battlefield occurrences, but also what books and magazines a soldier read along with emails that were sent and received, according to Wired.com.

The ASSIST program, as envisioned by DARPA, would integrate a small digital camera, a microphone, GPS, wireless network connectivity, and a digital compass onto a soldier's vest or helmet.

The imagery, voice and data could be sent immediately back to headquarters or edited and downloaded later to make for more accurate after-action reports.

DARPA expects to award four to eight development contracts worth up to $4 million each, for one year.

It reportedly pulled development on the more intrusive LifeLog in February.

Source: www.spacedaily.com...

E_T

posted on Sep, 16 2004 @ 03:30 PM
link   
I think there are lot of people who would need this kind of system...
so that they could check things when they don't remeber them.

posted on Sep, 16 2004 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Is that a rist gun? Wierd

This is good, alot better then the life log, life log is straight up an invasion of privacy, but this seems alot beter, as long as they control the digi cam.\

Cool pic, I've thought soldiers should where helmets for along time now - Bullet Proof ones and the face shield be bulletproof to, they should also have speakers by your ears that can do different things like:Comunicate with command or other soldiers (cause they couldn't hear you with the helmet on), and also have a microphone outside they helmet as well wich would transfer what it hears to your helmet speakers and is would turn off outside sound when someones talking to you or vice versa. But I'm sure the biggest complaint is "Are You Kidding, Its over 100 degrees outside, i'm not gonna wear that", Thats why the helmet should have a built-in Air Conditioner.

posted on Sep, 17 2004 @ 05:42 AM
link   
The helmet should also include a miniature coal fired power generator to power all of that crap, or a 40 pound battery.

Get what I mean? You can only fit so many things on a soldier, they're supposed to be mobile and lightly packed.

posted on Sep, 17 2004 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by shbaz
The helmet should also include a miniature coal fired power generator to power all of that crap, or a 40 pound battery.

Get what I mean? You can only fit so many things on a soldier, they're supposed to be mobile and lightly packed.

Everything I suggected is just that, As for the air conditioner, they could get it built into the helmet or an external one that can be place in a bag with 1 or 2 hoses coming out of it going into the helmet, which would be under 5 pounds, a large majority of troops if you asked them while there in Iraq, what would they prefer, they would say the 5 pounds more with the air conditioning.

I know they need to be light but keeping cool should be at the top of the list, so people dont die from 110 degree heat exhaustion.

posted on Sep, 19 2004 @ 11:45 PM
link   
what next? a remote controlled soldiers? that politicians can play with?

new topics

top topics

join