It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Check 21" starting in late October

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2004 @ 11:26 AM
link   
I just received this in an email and thought that it was of importance for everyone.

This seems legit. Be aware.

As of 28 October it will no longer be possible to float a check.

I know that we would never do that, but just in case you know someone who might try please read this. A new law goes into effect on 28 Oct and all checks will be cleared electronically within minutes...even at night, even on weekends. If payday is Monday and you write a check on Saturday assuming it won't clear before your paycheck is in you will be wrong-that check will bounce. And you will be charged overdraft fees.

Be aware of what you are doing and the affect it could have on your credit rating or career. Make sure funds are available before you write a check.

"Check 21" starting in late October
You've probably bought something in a store with a check even though you don't have the money in your account at the time. You figure you have a few days for the check to clear, and by then the money will be there. It's called the "float." Well, the float is slowly becoming a thing of the past. Because of a new law going into effect in October, money will be drafted from your account immediately when you write a check. It's called "Check 21," and it allows retailers to scan your check through a machine that deducts the cash within minutes. It's essentially the end of the paper check system, as well, because the check will eventually be destroyed. There will be an image of the check online and that will serve as proof if you need it. But everything is becoming electronic, and a bank will know if a check is good right away. So, be prepared to move to an electronic bill pay system. It's the smart way to go. What about checks that you deposit? Well, the float is no longer available to you, the customer. But the bank still will hold a deposit for a few days to make sure it clears. It's not fair, but it's the way it's happening.

What are the main effects of "Check 21" on consumers?

You won't be able to get your original paper checks back, because your bank will no longer have them.

Checks you write will clear sooner, increasing the risk that a check will bounce if funds are not in the account when you write the check. Don't write a check unless the funds are already in the account to cover it.

"You may not get access to the funds from checks you deposit any sooner, because the new law does not shorten check hold times. After 30 months, there must be a study on whether banks are making funds available to consumers earlier than the allowable hold periods.

Banks will save money on processing checks, but banks are not required to share these savings with consumers.

Different kinds of copies of a check will have different rights attached. Check 21 creates a new kind of paper copy of an electronic image of a check. This special kind of copy is called a "substitute check." Only a substitute check can be the legal equivalent of the original check, and only a substitute check triggers your right to recredit of disputed funds. A regular copy of a check does not carry these same protections. If you ask for a copy of a check, your bank may send you an ordinary copy instead of this special kind of copy which triggers legal rights and protections unless you ask for a substitute check.

"A bank other than your bank will have your original check, and will decide whether to destroy it. Neither Check 21 nor other law requires a bank to keep your original check for any period of time. Before Check 21, your own bank decided how long to keep your original checks, if you didn't get them returned with your statement. Under Check 21, the bank of the person you wrote the check to may decide when to destroy your check.

Consumers will get new rights for some electronically processed checks, but not for others. When a so-called "substitute check" is provided to a consumer, Check 21 gives the consumer a right to have funds of up to $2,500 recredited to the consumer's account in 10 business days if the check is paid twice, paid for the wrong amount, or otherwise paid in error. The statute is ambiguous about whether this new right applies when a paper substitute check is used in the processing of the check but is not returned to the consumer. The regulations restrict the right of recredit only to checks where the consumer was provided with a substitute check. If a check is processed electronically by all the banks it is routed through without the use of a substitute check and the consumer is not provided with a substitute check, then the check remains under state check law. In that case, the consumer does not receive a 10 day right of re credit even if the electronic image of the check is paid twice, paid for the wrong amount, or if both the electronic image and the paper check are paid.

Consumers who want to maximize their consumer rights should ask for return of "substitute checks" with their checking account statements. Watch out for fees associated with a substitute check-returning account. Look for another bank if your bank charges a high fee to get copies of all your checks as substitute checks.

Only the special "substitute check" can be legally equivalent to the original check to prove payment. The copies that a bank sends to consumers under a so-called "voluntary truncation" agreement, where the consumer agrees not to get the checks back, do not prove that a payment has been made, and do not trigger your Check 21 recredit right.

When do these changes go into effect?

Check 21 becomes effective October 28, 2004.

posted on Sep, 16 2004 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Some of this information seems outdated to me. I didn't even know that people still received returned checks from their bank. I haven't got a returned check in probably over 5 years. All I get is a monthly statement with debits and credits and I use to get a sheet with tiny copies of my checks. But hell, I don't even get that sheet with tiny checks anymore because I haven't even written a check in 2 years either. I pay my bills online and use a debit card. It sounds like floating a check is a dangerous game to play. I guess some people are on a tight budget but it is still a gamble to pay with money that you technically do not have yet.

posted on Sep, 16 2004 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Yeah, a lot of people at my office were in an uproar about this, but I can't understand why... Clear the damn check sooner and I'll have a better idea of how much money I have afterwards

Paper is overrated, anyway.

Zip

posted on Sep, 16 2004 @ 08:24 PM
link   
I was worried when I saw that post, because I'd never heard of it and my wife and I do all our check reconciliatin via computer. We need to look at the check sometimes, and we do see a snapshot of it on the computer when we check our balance on the Internet.

The good news is that when I called my Credit Union, he said that the no-float was an FDIC thing, and credit unions, like savings and loans, don't have any FDIC oversight.

So I'll still be able to call up a picture of my check.

But it's true that people don't write as many checks as they used to; and anyway, floating checks is a bad plan. when you think about it, you should pay for the stuff when you take posession of it

new topics

top topics

join