It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Defective Ammunition Warning

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Source: RGuns

RGuns: "It has come to our attention that the Federal/Lake City [LC] XM 193 ammunition currently available on the commerical market is displaying severe quality control issues. There have been numerous cases of overpressure and primer issues. The overpressure is severe enough to cause gas ring blowouts and extraction difficulties. Primers have been reported to fall out and jam lower reciever components."

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Thanks for the info! You might just have saved someone's hand! If that ammo was stuck into a cheaper gun, there's no telling the damage it could cause.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 11:37 PM
link   
reply to post by nobody you know

Cheap, expensive, the fact remains that the receiver thickness specified for your average AR weapon is too thin to protect anybody from overpressure.

This is why I have an AUG.

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   
You pay for what you get ! You buy cheap your getting cheap made rounds. Rounds that are not all charged with the same amount of powder or not stored right over the years etc etc. If you want to go cheap load your own rounds and you wont ever have to worry about this problems. (loading them as directed at least)

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Erno86

WOW thats very scary, Lake City Ammo usually gives a good product. It shoots a little dirty somedays BUT the scary part is LCA makes ammo for our troops. They hold on of the MAIN contracts from the DoD for our troops in Iraq and Afganistan if they got a bad batch too I fear the worst.

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by merkej23
reply to post by Erno86

WOW thats very scary, Lake City Ammo usually gives a good product. It shoots a little dirty somedays BUT the scary part is LCA makes ammo for our troops. They hold on of the MAIN contracts from the DoD for our troops in Iraq and Afganistan if they got a bad batch too I fear the worst.

You think that is scary your should talk to some veterans coming home about their rifles they had to carry and depend on. Yeah the us military one of the greatest in the world but like my buddy marine said. " This rifle has been in 2 wars for a straight 10 years." The government wants us to go to war but only give the certain groups of the military the good equipment. Guns get worn out also but they want the soldiers fighting with guns that are junk. Civilians in the states have better rifles than the military are being forced to use !

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 11:20 PM
link   
reply to post by TopElite

I know its really a sad thing that our troops carry garbage guns into the battle zone. I was in the ARMY (thank god for the stroke I suffered, saved my life) and the rifle I was issued I wouldn't go PLINKING with it let alone fight a war I REALLY wish TPTB would let them come home.

I'm glad more people know the problems our troops face and I hope all these aweful wars end and our men and women can come home.

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Lake City is not the only one. Hornady's most expensive line, Critical Defense, has been having major problems with their primers going back to October. They wouldn't even admit it until December. Every smith I know said they were spewing out the "malfunctioning weapon" jargon. Now they admit it and will swap ammo, but you have to pay the shipping.

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by ludshed
Lake City is not the only one. Hornady's most expensive line, Critical Defense, has been having major problems with their primers going back to October. They wouldn't even admit it until December. Every smith I know said they were spewing out the "malfunctioning weapon" jargon. Now they admit it and will swap ammo, but you have to pay the shipping.

Shouldnt have to pay for shipping !

Thats BS.

I would make a stink,trust me,they would be shipping it for free........

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Is this really Lake City Ammo or might they be reloads that someone is doing under the table on surplus military spent casing.

I have seen over the last 45 years i have been shooting a number of fly by night reloaders that use fake packaging to hide that they are reloads and they some times dump at gun shows

There is no way primers will fall out of mil spec ammo as they are crimped in
But they can fall out of reloads with the primer pocket reamed for reloading

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 11:41 PM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

If the store wants to cover it you're in luck, but this was a big deal. Primers with dimples and no bang. One of my stores called me and told me to bring it back. Ask a dealer next time you run into one.

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 11:53 PM
link   
reply to post by ludshed

Ya.....

It depends on the dealer/store. I have a good one I go to.

Ive ran into bad slugs once. Federal Stock........

I honestly think it was a bad box,cause i bought 3 and and only one was bad....

I always bought them before,without any defects. Hydra-Shok....has never let me down.
edit on 11-2-2012 by sonnny1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 06:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by ludshed

Oooh me thinks I'm going to shoot through my Hornady CD .38spcl +P 110 gr FTX for my backup wheelgun and use of the other +P's I have for carry.

Luckily for me I can always rely on my Speer .38spcl +P 135 Grain Gold Dot Short Barrel.

new topics

top topics

join