It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Nuclear Target, Coming to a Neighborhood Near You!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 08:49 AM
link   
I grew up in the Kansas City area, was a teenager in the 1960's, and like a lot of people I read novels like On The Beach, Fail Safe, Alas Babylon, Red Alert, and others which depicted WW III and its aftermath. It was a worry we all got used to. Not so long ago, I looked, really looked, at a fallout map of the USA, and noted that Kansas City was not safe - well, duh. I had thought to head for the Ozarks in case of nuclear trouble, but the map told me that the Ozarks will probably be in Wichita's fallout shadow. Wichita, Kansas is a BIG target. My best bet would be to go west on I-70 and get past Salina, Kansas. That takes too long, however, if the SHTF. What to do?

I meet my wife-to-be. We get married, and she wants to move to Carlsbad, NM. OK, a small town in the middle of nowhere. Not so long after moving here, I discovered that if the SHTF, we will be in the fallout shadow of Phoenix, AZ. @#$%^&!!! Then I find out that there is a government-sponsored program locally to store low-grade nuke waste in an old potash mine. Potash mining is a big deal around here, and the mine is deep. Low grade? No biggie, right??

Last night, I found out two things:

Some of the nuke waste going into that old potash mine is labeled "fissible" - I was told that means weapons grade. Ouch!

A huge uranium-enrichment plant is being built in Eunice, NM, not so far from here. Thousands of jobs, oh boy! Ouch, ouch, ouch!!

Looks like no place is safe. Maybe I'll get up on the roof when it comes to it, after all...

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Air carries radiation a lot better than rock. No matter what, stay underground...if you go to your roof, the immediate effect will kill you where you sit.

If you stay underground, the rock will buffer you, radioactive mine or not.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 09:27 AM
link   
this reminds me of the sensational videos and propaganda that was spewed during the cold war...

last time it was the evil Russians with their perilous communism... now it's the evil Iranians with their devil worshiping terrorism....

same tune, same lyrics, different generation...

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Starchild23
Air carries radiation a lot better than rock. No matter what, stay underground...if you go to your roof, the immediate effect will kill you where you sit.

That's kinda the idea.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Magnum007

Duck and cover ??? your toast no matter what you do, live underground and be blind , could not come out for 10,000 years??? why all the fuss, no nuke war all out war will happen get use to it , limited one yes one or 2 small dirty ones or one from Iran 4-5 from us on Iran that would be it Russia and china needs the US in tact not full of nuke fall out, what makes me so sure of this , think like them, would woods and fields be better used to produce than a waist land I think so. who would be Target , LA DC NY Denver?? think about this where would you want your invasion force LA DC NY Denver. nothing like kill your self to kill them er us.

edit on 8-2-2012 by bekod because: editting

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   

A Nuclear Target, Coming to a Neighborhood Near You!

I really can't offer a response in any format other than a simple, personal opinion but... as that is, here it is.

The world we live in today is just not safe. In truth, it hasn't been honestly safe for decades. It's only been the last few decades that this reality has caught up to us... and caused some pause when we consider what our lives mean in the broader sense.

I am not a big 2012 theorist but I can't help but see that there could well be a convergence of both natural and human events coming in this 12 month space of time. It could actually, be drawn out even longer... meaning that if we survive to see 2013, it doesn't mean that the birds will sing and the grass grow green again.

There is just a lot of unhappy things brewing right now. Survival is, of course, of great import to many. But in all honesty, you may want to ask yourself just exactly 'what' you are striving to survive into...

Tomorrow. What lies ahead AFTER we have exhausted our political and religious angers? What survives for us to depend on, after all this madness and hatred passes?

We, being no prophet or seer, I can't offer an answer. But I am fairly sure that the long term tomorrow will be a victim of the insanity brewing today. Wishing for a place in that new and perhaps, demanding place... is, in my opinion, questionable at best.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Lazarus Short

Not to bum you out even more but you'd likely be in the fallout map for White Sands as well. But thena again... you do have the Caverns.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Never mind.
edit on 8-2-2012 by Papagrune because: Already asked in another post

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by jtma508

Not to bum you out even more but you'd likely be in the fallout map for White Sands as well. But thena again... you do have the Caverns.

The Caverns were once stocked as a fallout shelter (the Left Hand Tunnel, where some 1950's "B" movies were filmed), but that was cancelled when it became known how much air exchange there was with the surface. There are safer caves in the area, but some would require breaking into.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Move Northwest If you can..Montana, South Dakota, Wy, Idaho. North Dakota..just dont get to close to coast.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 10:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Apollo7

Those are not good survival areas, IMHO - winters are too harsh. Anyway, review my other posts in this thread, for I think I made it clear that I don't really care to survive, no matter what...

I was a bit of a survivalist in my younger days, but now at 62, I leave to to the younger folks...

top topics

join