It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

West Coast USA: Pay Attention, Cascadia May Be Ready to Rupture

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

TA you are the man

you are one of the reasons i keep coming back to ATS

If you think you need to start a thread DO SO!

its why there is a forum here...

Quake watch... volcano watch...threads yadda yadda

SnF

I got a good friend in Tacoma... thanks for posting something about this potential quake!

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Or you could just not worry about it...ever see how many quakes hit alaska each week? But this is in an area of where there aren't many quakes you say, remember the Berkley quakes a few months back? Nothing happened from that.
Deny Fearmongering

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by berkeleygal
woah!

just happened to catch this

THOSE are the exact 'stress points' you would see with the Pacific plate pressure on the Cascadia fault. I sure hope this isn't a foreshock... Remember Japan, the foreshock was a 7.1 I believe before the 9+ megaquake...

Anyone near the shores within 5-10 miles should have an evacuation route READY, and NOW!
edit on 2/4/2012 by Pharyax because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 10:23 PM
link   

No panties in a bunch, no third degree...I actually follow you and PM and Muzzy quite close on the other threads and do appreciate your information. Just don't want to miss anything if i am not online when important information is posted.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Oregon is so unprepared for it. If a mega quake 9.0+ magnitude struck that fault line I was told it would feel like a 6.0 inland, and that is plenty enough to make a lot of un-earthquake proof buildings in seattle, Portland, Eugene.. and especially the towns right on the coast to fail. Not to mention the damage a Tsunami would cause. Some coastal towns have built certain buildings designed for safety from a Tsunami but the damage and death would still be huge.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Actually anything less than a three ft. shift , from,
Alaskan/B.C
all the way too
Chile,,
would just be a preliminary,
in my opinion,,
The sonic wave produced would be devistating enough,
with all of that sudsidence,
Let alone the 3 ft sheer,,sideways,,
only that would meet 10.0 specs.
Which of course is deemed impossable.

or as other wise known as
The Big One.

Me.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 10:53 PM
link   
As i was saying,,

05.02.2012 05:40:18
Alaska
05.02.2012 05:10:12
Chile

Still a 1
as far as im concerned.
Me.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 11:29 PM
link   
i grew up in coos bay till i was 14 then we moved inland a bit, but the Slough/Bay would most likely flood and the tallest building in town in a Tioga hotel.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Drezden
If a mega quake 9.0+ magnitude struck that fault line I was told it would feel like a 6.0 inland, and that is plenty enough to make a lot of un-earthquake proof buildings in seattle, Portland, Eugene.. and especially the towns right on the coast to fail. Not to mention the damage a Tsunami would cause. Some coastal towns have built certain buildings designed for safety from a Tsunami but the damage and death would still be huge.

It entirely depends on where exactly the hypocenter is, and what depth. I happen to think it would be closer to shore myself, because of where the subduction is happening. Anywhere in that big purple path I drew:

This is because that area, being directly on top of the deep stress points of that subduction, is likely the area to pop up and "spring back" abruptly. No one knows of course, but I wouldn't be too surprised to see it occur somewhere in there.

Original map source USGS here:
earthquake.usgs.gov...

And read that whole article if you like, cause then you'll see what I am saying.
edit on Sat Feb 4th 2012 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 11:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Berenai

Not neccessarilly a scenario, if it slips sideways,,
but subduct/fault drop,, then yes ,, but i would be more inclinded toward sideslip,
due to what APPEARS,, and i use that term very loosely,
to be what i call,
Long Range Super Fault, Mechanics,,
due too amougnst other factors,,
Torsion Physics,
and, Centrafugal force,
and one still unconcorable law of physics,,
an object in motion,,etc,,,

Me.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican
It probably isn't. But it might be. And these quakes may be the only warning you get.

Recent quakes on the Juan De Fuca Plate, and near Vancouver bear some attention:

earthquake.usgs.gov...

And if you will notice, there are also two smaller ones in Tacoma area on that map.

Normally I would not be concerned, but Cascadia doesn't usually get that many quakes in such a short period of time. And noticing changes in frequency of quakes is important. They could be precursors for a very bad situation.

A more recent quake up near Vancouver Island also plays into this. And this 5.7, while not out of the norm in the long term, is still, potentially of the kind of magnitude that bears watching.

Be alert my friends. Be alert. And watch this closely over the next days and weeks.

I don't like it. One bit.

And of course as many here at ATS already know, scientists have been concerned about this for quite some time.

edit on Sat Feb 4th 2012 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

Military remote viewers saw some terrible images of the Cascades erupting.
My thread here.

A Must Read for the People on the West Coast.,
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 11:49 PM
link   
That reminds me.. I saw these quakes on my alerts this morning & being in the middle of the area that would be affected I was immediately nervous...Was going to go get more bottled water but got busy with other obligations and forgot. Started to review my emergency proceedures & realized I have NO idea where my gas line shut off is...

For those who are new or missed it there was special on Cascadia that gives a good overview of what it could be like...

Cascadian Megaquake 1 of 5
www.youtube.com...

Cascadian Megaquake 2 of 5
www.youtube.com...

Cascadian Megaquake 3 of 5
www.youtube.com...

Cascadian Megaquake 4 of 5
www.youtube.com...

Cascadian Megaquake 5 of 5
www.youtube.com...

Clips 4 & 5 have a simulation of how it may play out...

Quiet Right

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 11:58 PM
link   

I don't know True, but i tell you this. If this we're anyone else save an un-named few. I'd be popp'in cheese balls off you're forehead. Things being what they are, you have my attention.
edit on 4-2-2012 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 12:47 AM
link   
reply to post by vjr1113

Honestly I've always wondered this myself, I live in the Everett/marysville area and always wonder when it does happen what kind of damage and things would I expect to see, like water rising all of that I'm not sure we have so much for the water to run past like the whole puget sound and the San juans all of that so as far as a tsunami I don't know.. :/

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 01:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sarahraeann
reply to post by vjr1113

Honestly I've always wondered this myself, I live in the Everett/marysville area and always wonder when it does happen what kind of damage and things would I expect to see, like water rising all of that I'm not sure we have so much for the water to run past like the whole puget sound and the San juans all of that so as far as a tsunami I don't know.. :/

Just make sure you have emergency rations, water, toilet paper, first aid stuff and other supplies. I can't imagine what it must be like to live in such a dangerous area.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 01:38 AM
link   
Oh god here goes TrueAmerican again.

Look we appreciate your insights, but stop crying wolf at the sight of every earthquake, you've done it so many times it hurts your credibility. it's not going to rupture, stop trying to scare people

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 02:19 AM
link   
I think you have a follower TrueAmerican, the bag is out of the cat!

Question, did the pattern look anything like this?

There are few places if any safe from natural disasters. Just always have an emergency plan and take it as it comes.

If you don’t mind me asking how rare is this inclusion of quakes for that sector?

Have there been past post large eruptions associated with the plot you linked in your post?

Aesop

edit on 5-2-2012 by Aesop because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-2-2012 by Aesop because: correction

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 02:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Drezden

I agree with you. As someone who grew up, and recently moved from, the central Oregon coast, I know that the only bridge on Hwy 101 expected to survive a major quake is the Alsea Bay bridge in Waldport. There really is no other arterial way from Newport south other than the Yaquina Bay bridge, and that's only one lane each way. There was an accident on the bridge during the recent wind storm, and the ODOT advisory said to "find an alternate route"...I had to laugh. The "alternate route" would be about a 30 mile detour through some windy country roads. The largest city on the Oregon coast, and the home of NOAA, no less, and it is sorely ill prepared for a major seismic event, and resulting catastrophies.

Oooooh...but look at all the cute little signs with the water eating people that they put up! Those will help us!
edit on 5-2-2012 by TolanIsMaximus because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 02:52 AM
link   
And the haters persist.

I am disengaging monitoring for the area for a while. But so far so good- no alerts I can see on my end...and it just so happens...no more quakes for the moment. Just coincidence- for now. But I am going to get better with this.

PM, here- have a song. Specially selected just for you.

That may appear off topic to mods. But it actually isn't. Not in my own twisted little way.

edit on Sun Feb 5th 2012 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 03:56 AM
link   
I was unaware that earthquakes could be predicted? Anyway, I am familiar with that fault line. I am aware that when she releases a lot of energy the people of coastal British Columbia and Northern Washington better get their swim trunks.

Some earthquakes here and there does not mean a major earthquake is imminent today, tomorrow, or anytime in the foreseeable future. That fault could rupture a hundred years from now. The thing is you just don't know. There lies the problem, and if memory serves? That particular area does not have a tsunami warning system or earthquake structural standards like Japan does? Chances are the devastation will be on par with Japan or worse. Seismologists are expecting a magnitude 9 at any time.

The clip above mentions that this mega thrust could last five minutes, land sides, and a tsunami. This disaster is going to be a monster. People ought to prepare for it as much as they can. No sense fear-mongering, but after seeing the devastation in Japan the projections are not far off. Great thread OP, but lets not run for the hills just yet. There is no telling when the next big quake is going to hit in that region or any region for that matter. Shout out to quietright for putting up links to the Cascadia mega quake documentary before me.
edit on 5-2-2012 by Jakes51 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join