It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

West Coast USA: Pay Attention, Cascadia May Be Ready to Rupture

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by violence=answer
reply to post by PuterMan

i do, but what i want to know is what will happen to the I5 corridor inland, on the other side of the penninsula, with the puget sound, because of the geography out here.

If I may, I will add some thoughts to this. It would depend on exactly where the quake hit, and the angle at which the tsunami wave approaches. For any quake way out at sea, the angle will be pretty much straight on. For a shallower big quake very close to shore however, that could very well affect the amount of water that makes into PS. And either way is not good. Inlets and alcoves, and any geologic feature like that will tend to concentrate the waves and cause increases in height. On the other hand, if the big quake occurs farther south down the coast from PS, the angle could be such that less water makes it into PS.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 05:30 PM
link   
I pose a question to you.

the Nisqually February 28, 2001 was an intraslab earthquake, which are quite rare, I read.

if we are in a geologically active area, why is it the last earthquake that I felt, was a rare type?

does it mean that the normal time period for earthquakes has been extended? or is the stress building up for a bigger sized normal earthquake event, right under one of the major areas? since they don't get hit with smaller normal quakes, it would be logical to presume one of them will get hit square.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Advisory 1:
Potential increase in chance for moderate EQ, in my opinion, in the next while. This is a test.
I am talking about Cascadia, specifically. Remember, this is all hypothesis for now. If no quake occurs within 30 minutes, I will call A1= fail.
edit on Sat Feb 4th 2012 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

Actually A1 will probably fail, and now I see why. Forgot to take something else into account. Complicated mess this is.

I'm slowly sifting through it though, and streamlining the process.... I think.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

Just doing USGS job i see,,
last time USGS did this they were only out by 11 years,,and got scared feet, lol,,
I second your Hypothesis,, with a B.C confirmation.

Me.
1+

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Long while? Short while? Little while? While the kettle boils? Give us a clue as to which type of while we are looking at here. While Rome burns perhaps?

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Though we dont often get ones we can actually feel all over Vancouver island, we have had a few lately, felt by some....
The last year saw some of what were called earthquake swarms in the juan de fuca....strait....
These were hundreds of small tremors....
As opposed to a big one, what do they mean exactly?
Pressure is increasing or decreasing?
The theory is look at the other side from the last biggy, there is bound to be some mega action directly across the plate.....

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Oh for Pete's sakes, stop being so grumpy and let me play. I might just surprise the crap out of you in the next months.

Also in regards to:

When I said frequency was increasing, I didn't mean long term averages, at all. I know you are the long term average king, but I am talking about when in a short period of time they increase in frequency. Like two quakes on different parts of the fault within hours of each other. That's what I meant, sweetheart.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Thanks for the update. I've also had my eye on this. Strange enough to pay attention to.
Interestingly - our local library in a Southern California town is having a Tsunami seminar/info
this week. It's the 1st time in the 30 years that I've lived here.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 07:43 PM
link   

If no quake occurs within 30 minutes, I will call A1= fail.

Yup so will I. A1 Fail. Results for 01:13 UTC are in now - no Cascadia quake
- unless they find it later lurking in a seismo with it's knees trembling!

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Just keep in mind that with every failure, we can eliminate one more possibility of failure again for the same reason. That was a very simple failure, and I am very glad to have made it.
And I told you A1 it was a failure way before you did, I might point out.

In situ at another location, however, I am starting to bear some fruit. Tastes kinda sweet, too.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Actually A1 will probably fail, and now I see why. Forgot to take something else into account. Complicated mess this is.

That was not there when I posted so no, you didn't.

Don't take it to heart. If your super dooper black ops top secret seismo gizmo was capable of predicting earthquakes I think someone would have noticed.

edit on 4/2/2012 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 08:17 PM
link   

It was there long before you posted. You just didn't see it.

Either that or it took you 10 minutes to make your last post. WHATEVER!

Rofl, I really don't care either, you know me better than that.

One problem right away though is that I can't be everywhere at once. Not to this depth I can't. Been studying another area, when all of a sudden Cascadia decides to act up. So I am trying to jump in there, but I just don't have the in depth study I need there yet, to be able to differentiate between some things.

And honestly, no offense to anyone, but seeing as I am living a whole lot closer to the New Madrid, and that is more of our problem over here in the east- I may direct my efforts more towards there, or even Charleston, SC area.

And oh, as far as someone else not noticing yet, I'm sure glad they didn't stop when they were trying to invent the lightbulb, or increase the accuracy of weather forecasting, for example.

Point is, I am not going to say defeat before even trying. So how about encouraging instead of discouraging?

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Hey, just having a bit of fun TA.

No probs.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Quake Watch, Volcano Watch....c'mon guys, can we keep it all neat and tidy so I don't have to jump from thread to thread to, well you get the picture.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Well, good bye Sanfran. Now the only thing left to do is smite those shills in Riverside that wanted to secede as "Southern California" pfft. Everyone knows LA represents SoCal not those jokes in the I.E.

Hehe just kidding. I wouldn't wish harm on any fellow Californians we all live under the threat of fires or quakes. As such it would be terrible if we got hit anywhere.
edit on 4-2-2012 by Canned2na because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 09:16 PM
link   

I was watching I think National Geo. and they were talking about the ring of Fire and was concerned about the rise in earthquakes. They are worried if a earthquake can trigger a eruption would it trigger the whole ring to go off? The MSM or the government won't warn us till is way to late,

Just think about that and picture this scenario in your head, the whole going off at the same time,,,

Oooops missed that one, was long day at work lol

edit on 4-2-2012 by mytheroy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 09:26 PM
link   
I have been watching the ring of fire since 1995.

I have seen large movements / earthquakes / volcanic eruptions around the ring. These have now occurred in the South American quadrant, the New Zealand quadrant and the Japan quadrant. There have also been shifts in the northern areas.

The only area relatively quiet for some time has been the North American quadrant. The ring of fire is a linked ring, what happens in one quadrant is eventually transferred to the other quadrants. The huge recent shift in the Japan quadrant must translate to an equal shift on the US / Canadian coast and soon rather than later.

In all seriousness, If I were living in LA right now, I would take long service leave and exit stage left.

P)
edit on 4-2-2012 by pheonix358 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by mytheroy

The MSM or the government won't warn us till is way to late,

My apologies for the bluntness but :

If they evac 10 million people and cities are destroyed then the country has to support 10 million people for a very long time. This is very costly in terms of not only $$$ but in resources as well. Lots and lots of long term resources.

If 10 Million die and the infrastructure for those 10 million is destroyed then the losses are not that great. You don't need to support anyone. In fact the ability to make a profit increases. Just review the plot for the first Superman movie.

P)
edit on 4-2-2012 by pheonix358 because: typo

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Well anything new?!

Dont leave me in the dark here TA!

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Well I am not trying to alarm anyone, but when the Cascadia starts producing quakes within hours of each other, I figured it was worth a thread. I am not used to seeing that. One quake once in a while is a given. We expect that. But the idea here is to be absolutely on top of that apparent difference, just in case.

And glad to see at least some people are appreciative of the note. I'd like to be able to report these things without feeling like I am going to get the third degree for just starting a thread. I am more active on Quake Watch, especially these days, without starting separate threads.

Probably is nothing though, so don't anyone get the panties in a wad. If a bigger one occurs soon though, better watch out.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join