It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Deer Woman

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 05:50 AM
link   
I havent seen this coverd on ATS yet so I figured I would share it with ya'll.

Deer Woman, sometimes also known as Deer Lady, is a shape-shifting woman in Native American mythology, in and around Oklahoma, The Western United States and The Pacific Northwest.

She allegedly appears at various times as an old woman, or a young maiden, or a deer. Some descriptions assign her a human female upper body and the lower body of a white-tailed deer.

The Deer Woman is said to sometimes be seen as a beautiful woman just off the trail or behind a bush, calling to men to come over. Deer Woman is often said to have all the features of a normal young woman, except her feet which are shaped like deer hooves and her brown deer's eyes. Men who are lured into her presence often notice too late that she is not a natural woman and are then stomped to death. Other stories and traditions describe the sighting of Deer Woman to be a sign of personal transformation or a warning. Deer Woman is also said to be fond of dancing and will sometimes join a communal dance unnoticed leaving only when the drum beating ceases.

The Deer Woman is similar in nature to several other female figures of folklore from other regions such as La Llorona from Mexico and the Southwestern United States, the Fiura of Chile, the Colombian creatures the Patasola and "the Tunda and the Iara of Brazil, the Xana from Asturias (Spain), and Naag Kanyas (serpent women) from India. All are females who at times, function as sirens leading men to their death.

This physical deformity marking an otherwise perfect women is a common theme among legendary siren figures. Deer Woman has hooves for feet, La Patasola and the Tunda have deformed feet and La llorona is often said to have no feet by those who see her. The Iara on the other hand is a fish woman with a blow hole in her neck.

According to Ojibwe tradition, she can be banished through the use of tobacco and chant others say that you can break her spell by looking at her feet, which are in fact hooves. Once she is recognized for what she is, she runs away.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 05:53 AM
link   
reply to post by JROCK2527

Someones been playing too much Skyrim

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 06:28 AM
link   
Actually I havent touched the game I found this on a website of Native American Folklore.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 06:30 AM
link   
Do you have any tobacco?

Ah, i love that movie.

Anyway, I'm guessing now that the worldwide trend toward banning tobacco could be seen as a conspiracy to enable the Deer Woman easier access into our lives to lead all the men folk into certain doom?

Seems plausible.

There's worse ideas that get pull.

Women with strange feet. Mebbe this is a misinterpretation of high heels? High heels could look like hooves to somebody that has never seen high heels?

Maybe Deer Woman is a Time traveller from the future where men are scarce and tobacco is totally outlawed, so, she travels back in time to abduct men, but gets scared off by her own future cultural taboo about tobacco?

Hey, that sounds plausible too?

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 06:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by TsukiLunar

Someones been playing too much Skyrim

There's no deer woman in skyrim..... There are half woman half bird creatures though.... don't think tobacco would bother em much, an axe to the skull works pretty well though.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 07:01 AM
link   
I love Native American mythology/folklore and even tho your first few responses have been negative I say Thanks for posting it.

Native Americans were here long before us, they weren't crazy or liars. They were way more in touch with the land, the animals, and much more spiritual/wise than anybody inhabiting this continent is today. Do I believe theres an actual half deer half woman running around the pacific northwest? not really. I do think however think that there are nature/wood spirits that you can sense whenever you are out in the woods and alone. Thats why nature/trees/water/animals are sacred. Maybe she is one of these nature type spirits.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 07:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Raivan31

Or an arrow in the knee.

Had to be said sorry. Anyways I've read this before, and there is kind of a cheesy movie about it too. I haven't had any sightings, but my friend and his grandfather claim to of seen a deer woman. They don't talk about it much, and I found out by accident. But the story is a few years back him and his grandfather was going on some old trails, the grandfather wanted to show him some of the old ways. They got lost, and a young lady came out of the woods and motioned for them to follow, and she lead them back to the main trail and pointed the way out. Never talking or anything, they said she walked funny but didn't notice anything out of the ordinary, till they went to thank her the grandfather grabbed him and told him lets go. He was asked why and he pointed to the feet and started to walk away quickly holding on to him. He glanced back and he swore and still swears to this day he saw deer feet. He said he never seen his grandpa so frightened before.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 08:02 AM
link   
Interesting, that no mention was made of the Native American "White buffalo" myth. That story has the animal appearing as either a white buffalo or a young maiden, very similar to the deer woman.

Perhaps each of these versions of the story in their own way are telling young warriors about the allure, changable nature according to the month and the overall mystery of woman.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   

reply to post by nineix

Women with strange feet. Mebbe this is a misinterpretation of high heels? High heels could look like hooves to somebody that has never seen high heels?

reply to post by Cancerwarrior

I do think however think that there are nature/wood spirits that you can sense whenever you are out in the woods and alone. Thats why nature/trees/water/animals are sacred. Maybe she is one of these nature type spirits.

reply to post by Jedite

they said she walked funny but didn't notice anything out of the ordinary

[taken from Madame Xanadu #1[2008]
Madame Xanadu is copyright VERTIGO and DC Comics
the moral authority of the copyright holder has been asserted]

in the magical world, as in the material one,
things are often not what they seem.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by DerepentLEstranger

That was so funny! do you usually just find threads and contribute absolutely nothing to the topic while making fun of the people that are discussing it to make yourself feel like a smart, big guy?

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cancerwarrior

That was so funny! do you usually just find threads and contribute absolutely nothing to the topic while making fun of the people that are discussing it to make yourself feel like a smart, big guy?

did you look at the lady's footware?

no,
of course you didn't, you just looked at the pictures superficially.

other than informing all and sundry about your lack of powers of observation and ability
to put 2 and 2 together: is there anything else you want to contribute?

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by DerepentLEstranger

no,

other than informing all and sundry about your lack of powers of observation and ability

Ah yes! I see now! I'm so sorry, your superior intellect and witticism went far above my head on that one oh smart-one! Yours is a superior intellect! Forgive me for not studying a comic strip to notice a joke that was neither funny nor informational!

sarcasm aside, it was ridicule of the thread topic, for no purpose other than to debase a discussion on a topic thats silly to you. people like you are why ATS has gone steadily downhill.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 09:28 AM
link   
They had this as an episode of "Masters Of Horror"

en.wikipedia.org...

Masters of Horror was an awesome show..

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by DerepentLEstranger

no,

Ah yes! I see now! I'm so sorry, your superior intellect and witticism went far above my head on that one oh smart-one! Yours is a superior intellect! Forgive me for not studying a comic strip to notice a joke that was neither funny nor informational!

sarcasm aside, it was ridicule of the thread topic, for no purpose other than to debase a discussion on a topic thats silly to you. people like you are why ATS has gone steadily downhill.

actually it's new members that don't bother checking other peoples posts and threads, ignore a picture because its from a comic book [as if finding an actual picture of a keltic nymph/shamanka wearing that type of footwear were easy], jump to conclusions without any supporting data, lack the imagination, not to mention wits, to extrapolate meaning from a picture,

and ASSume things.

that is responsible for the decrease in quality threads.

the sad thing is that apparently you are not a new member according to you're re-introduction thread www.abovetopsecret.com...
and should know better

Facing your own death has a way of forcing you to look back on your life and decisions. And making you think of how you prioritize the choices you make.

apparently, you're backsliding
and your priorities are once again out of whack.

and so i take my leave of you,
no need to reply
as i have my priorities straight
and indulging irrational assumptions is not among them.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 05:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Cancerwarrior

Thanks to you and the poster above you for the support. I have learned on this site not to be swayed or bugged by negative replies.

on topic: Though I dont really believe all of the Native American tales and folklore I like to study them. This post actually was suppossed to be part of the cryptzoology forum but apparently Mods didnt think it fit the criteria so it ends up here. oh well

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 05:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Jedite

Interesting story thanks for shareing. I am always up for hearing of peoples experiences with such things.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 06:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Aliensun

Could very well be. Alot of tribes had stories with the same basics but just different characters. I have never heard the white buffalo story until now actually good stuff

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 10:33 PM
link   
I used to sleep with Deer Women..but then I took a hoof to the knee.

: I'm sorry guys. XD

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 04:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Surtur

hope the healing process works out

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by JROCK2527
reply to post by Aliensun

Could very well be. Alot of tribes had stories with the same basics but just different characters. I have never heard the white buffalo story until now actually good stuff

I live in the Cherokee Capital, and hear about the Deer lady often, as well as many other MORE disturbing lore.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join