It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Taliban will take over from US and Nato in Afghanistan – leaked US report

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by andy1972

Agree. Except that Afghanistan is a small conflict but policing for the most part. WWII was a real war where millions killed/perished and several countries were grounded to rebuild. I just hope it doesn't go to WWIII.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   
I fear that the only difference in Afghanistan when we leave, will be a stronger relationship with pakistan, a booming poppy business, and a BOAT LOAD, of US hardware left behind.

Oh, and Bin Laden isn't there anymore...

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 12:27 PM
link   
This supposed to be a surprise? I am not surprised in the least, and it took moths for special forces to canvass the countryside for months to develop this report? Everyone knows that Pakistan ISI and the Afghan Taliban are as thick as thieves. There have been countless reports, inquiries, testimony from detainees, and other forms of intelligence validating that fact for years now. Maybe if they keep coming up with the same data the problem will go away on its own? I meant that last statement sarcastically. Pakistan is the biggest double dealer in the region, and is quite proficient at playing both sides of the fence.

However, the US/ISAF are in no position to do anything about it. As long as there are troops in Afghanistan, everyone is going to turn a blind-eye to the obvious, and that is Pakistan is more of liability than an asset. Still, they are a useful liability, because the US/ISAF need access to their country for transportation of supplies. Dealing with them is like walking on egg shells. Just as the war in Afghanistan is slowly becoming a military quagmire, but so too is the diplomatic relationship with Pakistan. Right now I don't see any end in sight, and the Taliban will continue taking pot shots at the international force, intimidating Afghans, and the Pakistani's will continue offering aide and comfort across the border.

I am sorry to say that Afghanistan is looking to be another mammoth stalemate. The only option left on the table is to withdraw, and let Afghanistan fend for itself. Nothing against the military who have fought and bled over there, but how much more money, equipment, and lives will it take to accomplish what appears be complete and utter nothingness? That is a question we need to ask ourselves.

new topics

<< 1   >>

join