It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ancient Walled City, Older than Egypt's Pyramids, Unearthed off US Georgia Coast

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 04:38 AM
link   
reply to post by predator0187

Amazing. S&F Pred

After reading your thread, I dug up a bit.....

And... Seems that there is something "more and huge" off coast of Georgia and Bermuda Islands beneath the waters on ocean sea floor.

But this deserve another thread.

Pyramid Bermuda Triangle

edit on 31-1-2012 by Arken because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 04:42 AM
link   
It is an interesting find. But it is not yesterday that these got dug up. Its just that the journalist who wrote up the piece got interested in the find and did the piece.

secondly, The Pyramids are not the oldest structures/constructs in the world.
In fact, the shell rings are not a city. just a settlement.
there are hundreds of such primitive level settlements all around the world, older than the pyramids.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 04:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by punisher2012
reply to post by BlastedCaddy

Maybe they were "walled up" from the rising tides, pehaps just enough to let water flow over the walls and when it recieded, it left an abundance of fish for meals, not a bad idea considering how close to the water they are. Not need much ag. for a small colony like that.

I really like this as a plausible explanation.

As cool as it would be if this was a 'city', it wasn't, but instead, was an artificial tidal pool, or net.

Sea levels have changed drastically over 4000 years. What's on dry land now, may have been partially submerged then.
On the other hand, there's a number of other ancient sites in coastal areas, especially in the Mediterranean that were once on dry land, but are now submerged due to rising sea levels.

4000 years is a lot of time, and sea levels could have risen and subsided more than once.

Back at the 10k mark, at the end of the last Ice Age, sea levels would have been quite low.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 05:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by tpaine1809
reply to post by kimish

Europeans have never settled anywhere...They just go in and kill all the ingenious populations and take others land.

What about in North Africa where whites had significant populations there thousands of years ago, but have since been driven out by arabs and africans?
Or what about the arab merchants who used capture white people from Britain and used them as slaves?
It works both ways buddy.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 05:58 AM
link   
[ i]reply to post by nineix

Thanks for sharing your interest in the idea, it occuered to me that it also may have been build to keep preditors like sharks out but provided enough room for smaller pray in, but not out. Thanks for showing some love.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 07:00 AM
link   
reply to post by predator0187

Ancient Walled City, Older than Egypt's Pyramids, Unearthed off US Georgia Coast

Growing up in Savannah... back in the '60s and '70s, my friends and I spent a lot of time exploring the various coastal/barrier islands and those isolated by vast salt marshes. Over a period of years, we found an amazing number of artifacts, ranging from onyx-black pieces of fossilized sea creatures to Native American campsites/refuse pits to some more unusual items that we never really did identify.

All of this was back when the state had not made such explorations all but illegal. And we never really did any digging because so much was close enough to the surface to be found just by looking and kicking the sand as we went along. When we did sift, it was from huge silt piles left by dredging operations of the Corps of Engineers.

On one particular occasion I remember quite well, we had made our way out to a small isle that bordered between a salt marsh and the open Atlantic. Along the beach facing the sea, there was a lot of trash left by boaters and such. But further in where the vegetation, spiders and mosquitoes got really tough to negotiate, we found what looked like a series of circular walls made of tabby... or a kind of cement made with oyster shells. They were - if memory serves - about 20 feet in diameter, 10-12 inches thick and exposed to about a foot above the ground.

We always promised to return there someday but we never did. The only souvenir we came away with was a number of round, clay balls that we finally discovered were used as heaters after placing them in a fire and then spread out under a bed mat.

It's an amazing area.
edit on 31-1-2012 by redoubt because: typo

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 07:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrsBlonde
well the timeline of Meso American civilization keeps getting pushed back everyday
we know the megalithic ruins of Tiahuanaco and surrounding areas are at least 12,000 years old, it isn't hard for me to believe given that, that there were people in North America building villages at that same time.

Sorry, by Tiahuanaco dates to the Common Era.

Radiocarbon dating leaves no doubt about this.

Also:
- This site doesn't predate the Pyramids, given the date provided in the quote (not that this matters.) The site dates to 2300 BC, the pyramids to around 2500 - 2600 BC.

- The site post-dates the Clovis Culture by 8,000 years or more.

- Humans were making pottery in Northeast Asia more than 14,000 years before this site was constructed.

- Given that humans came to N.America from Northeast Asia after that (over the Bering land bridge or however,) it's not surprising to find pottery at old sites in the Americas.

Harte

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 07:45 AM
link   
perhaps the 20 foot mounds of seashells were erected to keep out the flood waters...

see, even these ancestors probably had a cultural myth of a great flood (as in the Gilgamesh or Noah stories)
or more practically, the mounds surrounding the villages were meant as barriers for the wayward Mastedons/Mammoths
or other beasts of the late ice age melt and had no connection to 'civilization' or 'agriculture'

in fact, in the nearby Murrells Inlet SC... the seafood restaurants heap up or else layer all the seashells, oyster shells onto their driveways and boat ramps along the marshfront.

the ancient landmarks of the article may be just the table scraps piled up as their dump area, and the taller the heap the more prestige and status that family or group living inside the ring (walled city?) would have

It has been proven that early man & possibly neanderthals used Mammoth tusks as the basis for constructing shelters/tents
www.historyworld.net...
edit on 31-1-2012 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 07:52 AM
link   
Clovis People?

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 08:04 AM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

The shell ring at Hilton Head Island is very small, a ceremonal site. Shells left from feasts? It is only 30-40 wide.
These shell rings remind me of the ring forts in Ireland that are suposedly 6,000 years old. There are some shell rings in south west florida that are from 3,500 BC USA's oldest human civilization site to date.They are on some island near Naples, I would have to look at an Atlas again.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Nice find! Stars and flags for you

These shell walls though, are nothing 'new' really (even for the period) they are after all material that was easy to find given the location.
But, it is awesome if it does indeed pre-date the earliest known 'civilisations' in North America

edit on
edit on 31/1/2012 by Kliskey because: (no reason given)
extra DIV

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Hello WOW awesome post this technology had to come from up above. Think out side the box if they started as Hunter-gatherer then all of a sudden they have technology they def had help from up above. Look how far technology has come so far way to fast. I think if they never showed us technology we would still be in the stone age. I would like to know were they Europeans or Natives who?

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hanslune

If these villages were made in 2300 then they do not 'predate' the pyramids. Saqqara the first step pyramid was built 350 years before these villages and the Giza pyramids 250 years.

Mrs Blonde noted

we know the megalithic ruins of Tiahuanaco and surrounding areas are at least 12,000 years old, it isn't hard for me to believe given that, that there were people in North America building villages at that same time

Actually we don't know that; the dating for Tiahuanaco is between 300-1000 AD, people have been in the area since 1500 BC but the date Posnansky (actually he guessed 12,000 BC) he rather pulled out of his nether regions! However he did so before any of the modern dating techniques were perfected
edit on 30/1/12 by Hanslune because: (no reason given)

and I think it should be stated that some egyptologists/archeologists (what have you) believe the egyptian pyramids to be around 11,000 years old and were built during the last golden age, the last age of enlightenment where people were seeing a peak in scientific technology, consciousness and spirituality.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 09:31 AM
link   
This cant be, we didn't learn about it in school.

There have been lots of finds that point to more advanced civilizations all over North America, you see a tiny little blurb about it on some site and it rarely gets touched on in msm. Then it all just gets swept into a corner because it doesn't fit with the way people seem to WANT it to be.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by kimish
A pre-clovis civilization? Interesting. I would be willing to bet that the settlement was from Europeans.

Just my simple thoughts.

Europeans would have used wood to make cabins and such. They wouldn't have thought to use seashells...nor would they have taken the time required for such a tedious task.

No...this is something else. Perhaps a different branch of Native Americans? History shows they used the landscape around them to their advantage...and you never know: some tribes may have been more culturally advanced than others.

It's not like we know everything about Native American history. After all, the settlers destroyed half of it.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 09:36 AM
link   
YES!

So, It turns out that the metropolis of the South in the US was at least as old as Egypt. There are many awesome artifacts coming out of the area, too. They look strangly like a mix of 33%Greek, 33%Egyptian, and 33%American Indian. (really, got to youtube and check out those artifacts--not the fakes, though. the real ones are not in the museums) There are signs of trade with the "old world", and that there was acres of corn planted all around it.

It turns out the "Black" man is Native to North America and Africa. The City in the southeast part of N. America and the population of this city lasted since before the current age and was more populated (and cleaner) than Paris AT THE SAME TIME IN HISTORY- (this is not a typo)-and probably was trading with sister state Kehmet (up until the "birth of Christ"). The downfall of this city came from diseases the Whites brought in that killed them off in less than 200 years. The reason it was so effective at wiping them out, was genetic. And THEN the Arawak met Columbus....and he met a fraction of what was left of this magnificent place....

It makes perfect sense when you know that prior to the last ice age, the sea water would have been locked up, and the edges of all the continental shelves, which extend sometimes 200 miles out into the sea, are the actual edges of the continents, were shallow enough to have been colonised (by natives) at that time. Of course, then the glaciers melted...

I ask some Indians about is, and Id say, half know this, and half dont. I guess they too have middlemen regarding the truth of their history.

I am still waiting for a peer review on Charles Manns 1491, but I suspect him to be leaving out something.....

We have NOT been told the truth about world History, but there are many who GUIDE humanity that do.

Im still waiting for Pahana......or maybe thats just controlled opposition, as well....
edit on 31-1-2012 by rainbowbear because: accuracy

edit on 31-1-2012 by rainbowbear because: oops

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Starchild23

Originally posted by kimish
A pre-clovis civilization? Interesting. I would be willing to bet that the settlement was from Europeans.

Just my simple thoughts.

Europeans would have used wood to make cabins and such. They wouldn't have thought to use seashells...nor would they have taken the time required for such a tedious task.

No...this is something else. Perhaps a different branch of Native Americans? History shows they used the landscape around them to their advantage...and you never know: some tribes may have been more culturally advanced than others.

It's not like we know everything about Native American history. After all, the settlers destroyed half of it.

Ya you would not expect that kind of time consuming effort for a temporary location or even an initial colonization.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   
honestly technology was pretty advanced back in olden days...more than we normally give credit...before the Flood oceans, seas, rivers were in completely different regions...ocean floors could have easily been mountainous ranges....

there are accounts in the Bible about huge cities also...Nineveh was a city large enough for Jona to travel 3 days accross...

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   
The Calusa tribes here in Southwest Florida also used shells to construct entire islands, called shell mounds. One of these mounds is called Mound Key, and it is a state park.

www.krolltravel.com...

The Calusa did not develop very much agriculture, and they instead got their food primarily from fishing, which also gave them the materials to build these mounds. This group started dwindling under the presence of European explorers and settlers just like all the other natives, so checking if their lineage is in any way connected with this group in Georgia would be pretty difficult.

In any case there were also enormous civilizations (who also built massive mounds) in the United States, especially in the middle of the country around Ohio, which is almost categorically omitted from the history books. I think that any theory or explanation of Native American culture failing to acknowledge the presence of these civilizations is weak.

Beginning with the construction of Watson Brake about 3400 BCE in present-day Louisiana, nomadic indigenous peoples started building earthwork mounds in North America nearly 1000 years before the pyramids were constructed in Egypt.

en.wikipedia.org...(people)

I have my doubts about the age of the pyramids too, but it is useful to at least bring the mainstream history of humanity into question. Good post though OP. Maybe one day we will have more a more coherent idea of human history.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by rainbowbear
YES! So, It turns out that the metropolis of the South in the US was older than Egypt, or Mayan. Even the Cherokee were discoverers of the Mounds, there. There are many awesome artifacts coming out of the area, too. I guess the Black man is Native to North America. And the Cities and populations of these cities were greater, and cleaner, than Paris AT THE SAME TIME IN HISTORY.

We have NOT been told the truth about world History, but there are many who GUIDE humanity that do.

Im still waiting for Pahana......or maybe thats just controlled opposition, as well....

No, it really doesn't show that at all. Sorry to disappoint. American inhabitants can be traced back to around 15,000 years ago through DNA analysis, amongst all sorts of other evidence. Settlement in Egypt can be traced back easily 40'000 years.

All it demonstrates is that there were settlers in that part of America at that period. Also, it isn't surprising that shells were used in construction. The DNA analysis traces origins back to the Altai Mountain region of Siberia - there is plenty of evidence showing that these people used, for example, animal hides and bones to create shelters. Any descendants in the Americas would have shared this knowledge so i would expect further finds over the coming years.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join