It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

As of feb 9th, Canada's own version of SOPA: Bill C-11 will kill more of your freedom

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 08:44 AM
link   
We faught Bill C-32 and here it is back.. but so much worse! ((Bill C-11 is like SOPA))

Under this proposed bill you will no longer be able to rip cd's you bought to your MP3 player.

You will also be unable to unlock your smart phone, obtain internet services if you are charged with internet-related crime (even if a court date has not been set).

Recording with a PVR will be illegal as will obtaining the tools to unlock dvd's, cd's cellphones, etc.

Not only will this bill illegalize common practices, it will also make it illegal to circumvent the laws set forth in this bill.

Here is the Bill in its entirety.

Openmedia.ca in depth articles.

The Canadian Coalition for Electronic Rights.

A handy letter-writing wizard from the above website to voice your opinion to your local MP.

An article about Bringing SOPA to Canada.

An article on Canadian Business blog

Please, at the very least write to the MP!

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Holy #! Sorry for you Canadians

Sure down under we have internet censorship and the such, but nothing like that!

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Iwould not be overly worried,,,,,

29. Fair dealing for the purpose of research, private study, education, parody or satire does not infringe copyright.
-------------------------
41.12 (1)
Interoperability of computer programs
"circumvent” means,
(a) in respect of a technological protection measure within the meaning of paragraph (a) of the definition “technological protection measure”, to descramble a scrambled work or decrypt an encrypted work or to otherwise avoid, bypass, remove, deactivate or impair the technological protection measure, unless it is done with the authority of the copyright owner; and
(b) in respect of a technological protection measure within the meaning of paragraph (b) of the definition “technological protection measure”, to avoid, bypass, remove, deactivate or impair the technological protection measure.
does not apply to a person who owns a computer program or a copy of one, or has a licence to use the program or copy, and who circumvents a technological protection measure that protects that program or copy for the sole purpose of obtaining information that would allow the person to make the program and any other computer program interoperable.
No statutory damages
(3) The owner of the copyright in a work, a performer’s performance fixed in a sound recording or a sound recording in respect of which paragraph (1)(a) has been contravened may not elect under section 38.1 to recover statutory damages from an individual who contravened that paragraph only for his or her own private purposes.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Invariance
We faught Bill C-32 and here it is back.. but so much worse! ((Bill C-11 is like SOPA))

Under this proposed bill you will no longer be able to rip cd's you bought to your MP3 player.

You will also be unable to unlock your smart phone, obtain internet services if you are charged with internet-related crime (even if a court date has not been set).

Recording with a PVR will be illegal as will obtaining the tools to unlock dvd's, cd's cellphones, etc.

Not only will this bill illegalize common practices, it will also make it illegal to circumvent the laws set forth in this bill.

Here is the Bill in its entirety.

Openmedia.ca in depth articles.

The Canadian Coalition for Electronic Rights.

A handy letter-writing wizard from the above website to voice your opinion to your local MP.

An article about Bringing SOPA to Canada.

An article on Canadian Business blog

Please, at the very least write to the MP!

Here what happening in the other country same bull

www.abovetopsecret.com...&addstar=1&on=13345273#pid13345273

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 02:54 PM
link   
but this is canada, home of the spot election. federal elections are complete surprises in canada. they pop out of no where with 3 weeks notice.

half the time you don't even know who's running.

at least in america you have tonnes of debates, a vicious media looking for any dirt and plenty of time and information to make a decision.

they don't call it canuckistan for nothing. harper is bush's lap dog. i wouldn't be surprised if harper calls bush weekly for advice.

imagine calling bush for advice. maybe that's why bush choked on a pretzel a while back, he couldn't believe what an idiot harper was.

edit on 29-1-2012 by randomname because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Get a load of bill C10, and C52 as well....this is the equivalent of the NDAA in america...warrantless searches and entry RCMP snooping into anywhere they want with no court oversight at all and more!
The country has already gone to the dogs but this kills any freedoms we may have once enjoyed......
It is time to take a stand, and i dont mean protest....its gone too far for such fruitlessness....it really really time to go underground and take the fight to the goverment before they strangle any chance we have of winning......

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 04:01 PM
link   
That's the way to handle the issue. Turn hardworking citizens into criminals lock them up with real criminals and further bankrupt the provinces.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   
You guys think this is new? The CRTC and the CBSC have been doing this for decades. Check it:

www.guardian.co.uk...

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Invariance

It's global thing as every country will try a similiar bill...I guess every bill the passes is like a dry run for the next country...but as we all know technology is incredibly difficult to police...

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Well all i can say is thank God it does not break this Canadian Law,,,

Section 8
of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms
provides everyone in Canada
with protection against unreasonable search,
(Hard Drives)
and seizure.

Me.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 09:02 PM
link   
I really wasn't one to buy into the NWO stuff before... but thanks to you I see that this issue is global. I did some further digging, and it seems that freedoms and privacy are being stripped away at an alarming rate! Quite frankly, I'm a bit afraid of what our elected officials propose to do next.

I can whine about harper all I want... I didn't vote for him (lol)

But really... does it matter who you vote for anymore? Not that I'm naive or anything, I just feel so helpless these days!

I won't even ask what's next!

new topics

top topics

join