It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The mystery of 100+ mpg cars, and the disappearance & deaths of men behind it

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 02:47 AM
link   
reply to post by SirMike

Consider an average battery .. about 500CCA. Now, if your batter is nearly drained, it might be putting out 8 volts, just enough to turn the motor over. 500 Amps at 8 volts is 4000 watts. Maintaining 4000 watts would consume about 20% of all the usable mechanical energy that our 1970 Ford Galaxie could deliver. So now we are down to around 200mpg.

A 1970 Ford Galaxie maintaining 500 Amps
Are you driving around with the starter motor or have a massive stereo and light show in the boot?

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 04:28 AM
link   
Cars run on a 14.7 to 1 air fuel ratio.

Its a fact of life that can not be changed.

Once you have reached a point where you try to go lower your engine is running lean this increases NOx emissions and fails smog testing .

Yes you can have people running cars with 20 to 1or lower air fuel ratios but they would never pass a modern smog test.

That leaves cutting the weight of the vehicle by striping everything out, many race cars do this but you can not sell cars that do not meet safety laws so that is out for production cars, and this is why motorcycles get such good MPG

You can also cut horse power by using a tiny engine but you will not like that when you can not keep up with traffic.

I had a old 1966 VW bug i ran on two cylinders at around 15 HP that got great gas mileage(about 50 mpg) but would not climb a hill outside of town

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 06:58 AM
link   
A few months ago, I took my truck into the dealership for an oil change...

They had a Chevy Volt there. I was curious, so while I was waiting,
I went over and checked it out...

I was immediately met by a salesman...I assured him I wasn't interesting
in buying, just curious.

The salesman said no problem, but just was dying to show it off. I must say,
it was the coolest car I've seen in a while. The salesman went on and on about
how much everyone there liked it, showing me everything on the car, lifting the hood
etc.

I asked, have you sold many? He said, no. We have a ton of interest, but this
is the only car we've been able to get. There is a 6 month waiting list, and even
then, you aren't guaranteed to get one.

Plus, GM was forcing dealerships to put in not one, but two expensive charging
stations, even though one can charge up the Volt with a regular outlet and an extension cord.

And then the government comes out and claims the batteries can catch fire in a severe accident, and
recalled all of them..Truth is, out of hundreds of severe accident tests, (at great expense to the taxpayers)
they had ONE catch fire (a small fire) and one smoked a little bit..

Now, the Volt has a fuel tank. Enough severe crashes, the car is bound to catch fire, not because of the batteries, but because there is fuel on board....

So my point is, just like they killed the last electric car, they are killing this one too (only after they raped
the taxpayers to develop it.)

Anyone as sick of the status quo as me?

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 07:18 AM
link   
Years ago I had a 7 seat montego countryman. It'd do 60 odd to the gallon. It was a turbo diesel and ran pretty well. These days I have a fiat multipla, 6 seats, turbo diesel and goes just as well but the mpg is in the 40s.
Air con makes a difference, but I think fatter tyres are what does it. The montego had skinny ones...

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 07:30 AM
link   
i want a tesla
induction motor is the greatest thing ever

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Anyone as sick of the status quo as me?

I certainly am. Nice thread on a very relevant topic. I am a long time auto mechanic, spent 38 odd years under the hood. I remember cars that got 60 mpg out of the factory, I had a 1960 Plymouth Valiant with a slant 6 that did that. I also remember hearing about, and reading about the magic carburators. A friend ordered a device out of a magazine, Popular Mechanics, I think, that went under the carb and doubled his mileage, but I cannot remember much about it. See, in those days gas was $0.35 a gallon, and it was plentiful.

I live on S.S. Disability now, the days of big paychecks are all gone. So gas mileage is on my mind a lot. We are a family of five, with three disabled people, and a little car is plain out of the equation.
Too hard to get in and out of. So we drive a full size, G-20 Chevy van, it has a V-8 350 engine, and weighs in at 4800 pounds wet.
So I, and my ace mechanic son have been experimenting with ways to get better mileage, when we got the van it was getting 12-14 mpg. So, I used some of what I learned to make it get better mileage. Even went as far as to install and run a HHO Reactor on it, which did, coupled with the other things, more than doubled the mileage. I attempted to tell the members about it, but got a lot of ridicule and claims it would not work.

I think it's plain the Electric Car is fine, but battery technology has not come far enough to make it work right. What we need in them is a power pack of some kind that recharges itself using the Sun.
I am thinking of converting to CNG. Recently a rather large pocket of the gas was found, here in Ohio....

“We have, in fact, 163 billion barrels of recoverable oil-nearly six times higher than what President Obama and the Democrats like to claim. Let's think about 163 billion barrels for a moment: that is enough to maintain our current levels of production and replace our imports from the Persian Gulf for more than 50 years. “But oil resources offer only a glimpse of the full picture. As I noted earlier, CRS found that America's combined recoverable natural gas, oil, and coal endowment is the largest on Earth. It's far larger than that of Saudi Arabia, China, and Canada combined.”
Source
All one needs is a CNG Conversion Kit to run CNG, and research shows the HHO gas bonds nicely with CNG. A rather large investment, some $1000 worth, but the benefits would offset that cost in a few months time.

Let's face it. Big Oil will never lower the price of gasoline, I am 58 years old, and have never seen the price go down more than a nickel or a dime. Every Holiday it goes up. Across the board it only rises. The government is not going to give us anything at all to help us get better mileage, in fact, they have Federal Laws to prevent you from altering the factory emission controls, which you would not even need in an efficient engine. It is up to the individual driver to do the research, and the labor, to beat Big Oil. I spent over $200 and am right now getting near 32 mpg. It isn't enough, I need more, and so does everyone else in the world.
Great Thread.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by kwakakev

Do you think that sounds unreasonable? How many CCA and at what voltage does it take to turn an engine over?

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 09:01 AM
link   
reply to post by SirMike

I do not know the specifics, but 500 amps to start an engine does sound reasonable. This is only applied for a few seconds with a good battery replenished after a few minutes of running. This 500 Amp load is not required once the car is running. My motorbike has a max load of around 12 Amps for lights, spark and other electronic bits and pieces when it is running.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by mossme89

excellent thread. I see you didn't even mention Stan Meyer, but his little world may well have been a hoax. I am a bit confused as to how Honda could make a CRX HF in 1986 that got 54 miles to the gallon, but now cannot do any better than 40MPG without battery assist. At some point, you would think the people who are greedy would get enough money and retire. Wait, did I just say "enough", sorry, my mistake.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by anonentity

yes i have noticed that effect my self , now whilst i am not an enginer i have often wondered that if we could cool the air that went into the engine , we would get a bigger combustion for less fuel .
maybe someone has looked into this .

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 10:05 AM
link   
I know that 400+ mpg carbs are total BS but how about something completely out of the box like hydrogen power?

Here's Bob Lazar of Area 51 fame who claims to have designed a way to harness trickle charging with solar panels and transforming that energy into hydrogen tanks that can be used in automobiles.

edit on 28-1-2012 by Unknown Origin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by network dude
reply to post by mossme89

excellent thread. I see you didn't even mention Stan Meyer, but his little world may well have been a hoax. I am a bit confused as to how Honda could make a CRX HF in 1986 that got 54 miles to the gallon, but now cannot do any better than 40MPG without battery assist. At some point, you would think the people who are greedy would get enough money and retire. Wait, did I just say "enough", sorry, my mistake.

The reason a crz gets less Mpg is because of the weight difference. A crz weighs around a thousand pounds more then a crx hf. Cars have gotten much heavier over the last 20 years because of all the safety devices incorporated into the chassis.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 10:16 AM
link   
tom ogle story makes me sad. you know he was murdered. i hate it when someone has a good idea but they make him out be some loon and ruin his life for greed. suppression of inventions has been going on for centuries, time to get an organization going for people to feel safe for their ideas..

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Stryc9nine
.....time to get an organization going for people to feel safe for their ideas..

I agree. A database of people who feel under threat with the agreement that if one goes down all the others get REALLY vocal about it. The oppressors want it all hushed up because they can't take the publicity.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by kwakakev

Ahhh, I see what you are saying. The 500 amps is representative of the work it takes to turn the engine over after it catches the battery stops and the motor does the work but regardless it takes the same a mount of energy to turn the motors mechanical componenents. I used the battery/starter to estimate how much work it takes to do this.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by SirMike

So what car do you know of that will turn over at 8dcv? I would love to know as anything 10.5dcv and below in my experience mean no turn over.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Here is my take.

And to the so called hobbyist's that make these claims.

Post the schematics, bill of materials, assembly procedure or else your full of crap.

Post a break down and assembly of the unit itself, on video via YouTube, and not just the unit running because this proves nothing.

edit on 28-1-2012 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Most cars today have computers installed that control the mixture coming out of the fuel injectors, no carbs. But you can get reprogramming or a new chip, or an adjustment panel put in to adjust the mixture. This will increase MPG a little.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by drock905
The reason a crz gets less Mpg is because of the weight difference. A crz weighs around a thousand pounds more then a crx hf. Cars have gotten much heavier over the last 20 years because of all the safety devices incorporated into the chassis.

So the engineers have not found a way to lessen the weight? It's a two seater. It never had any room to speak of, just a cheap way to commute. If we have added 1000 pounds of safety stuff to a two seat car in just 25 years, and people still die in car wrecks, we suck. Maybe we should look back at that design. Unless buying more gas is somehow advantageous.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Check this out. Plans, schematics, everything, on how to modify ANY car to run on hydrogen.

All the skeptics will cry, "HOAX" but this guy claims he's been running it for twenty years.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join