It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In Honor of My Dad...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   
I had really cool parents growing up. They liked to drink and listen to music, seems like
someone was always over at the house on the weekend and my friends got along really
good with my parents.

My dad really enjoyed listening to music. Yeah, you guessed it, the oldies. When I was
young and then once I was a teenager, I hated it. Couldn't stand the music dad would play
and sometimes sing along with.

When I was 17 and got my drivers license, I got to take the car out for the first time by myself.
Cruising down the road, radio on and a song comes on, it was CCR - Sweet Hitchiker. I almost
turned the channe but didn't, I listened and it hit me, I enjoyed the song.

Today as I type this, my dad isn't doing so well. Major medical issues and he won't be with us for
too many more days. I'm making arrangements to get off of work and go visit one more time. I was
able to visit him last weekend and we're on good terms. He lives 5 hours away from me, so it's difficult
to be there all the time.

So that being said, I'd like to share some of the music that tortured me as a child, but I've since
come to love and appreciate.

I love you dad and I'm going to miss you.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   

edit on 25-1-2012 by elevatedone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Oh, hon, I'm so sorry... I know how it is to stand by and 'wait', while a parent approaches the end of their life...

I love the music you posted. Brings back good memories for me, too.

My thoughts are with you. Take care...

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   
here's a goody.... my youngest brother loved when dad would play this song.
We actually hid a tape recorder in the bathroom once, little bro was taking a bath
and singing this song... it was hiliarious....

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by elevatedone

Memories...I remember watching CCR win a recording
contract back in the 60's.Sorry to hear about your father.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   

I'm saddened to hear of your situation elevatedone, I send you and your father my best wishes and hope you can stay strong .

This is for you .

edit on 25-1-2012 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   
My dad introduced me to a lot of music, I'm sure I'll forget to share a lot of it with you
guys, but here's one that sticks out in my mind. The day I heard my dad playing it,
he was excited to tell me the story of about how the artist changed his name.

That's right, ? and the mysterians front man, acutally changed his name to ?

enjoy :

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Really sorry to hear about your father, he sure does have a great taste in music. My mom got me into all the music she listened to in college (classic rock, blues, southern rock, country) and i love her for it. Stay Strong

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   
My heart goes out to you brother! Reading your post sounded SO much of what I just went through - so I had a bit of connection there as I read. My pop recently passed away and I took a week off to spend his last days with him.

Both my parents moved from Los Angeles, CA to Idaho after they retired --- *who the hell moves to IDAHO to retire!!! My crazy a** parents, that's who! So, I drove up to see my pops for his final week in this world, and I was able to take my acoustic guitar and saranade him with the very songs he ADORED throuout his (my) years.

The cool thing (for me) about that experience was, little he did know how much his eclectic range of music appreciation helped to shape me as a musician. As I grew into an adult, my pops would ask me to get him some music, so I'd always order him "some Credence" or a Time/Life box set of Doo-Wop music...

This thread hits close to my heart brother, and it's so cool for me to hear that we (as people) can have that type of relationship and connection with someone via music. Not only can music be a time machine, but it's also proof that music (sound frequencies) is more powerful than we can imagine!

Stay strong bud - hope your dad has a peaceful journey!

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Such heart breaking news. My thoughts are with you at this difficult time.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Sorry to hear that about your pops, I went through some of what you talked about. It seems the older I get the more I like the music he listened to when I was a kid.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   
I remember dad playing this one and would sing along... in the middle of the song
would yell out to my mom "hey dale, wanna play the game of love? "

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 10:13 PM
link   

It is such a tough pill to swallow, when it comes to the mortality of your parents : (

I hope that you can spend time with him before he sets off...

*To your dad* cheers : )

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 04:37 PM
link   
I remember my dad singing this all the time...

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Now these next few songs are really special. My mom and dad both really loved them.
Once when I was 17, I came home from a date ( not a good one) with my g/f, mom knew we
were getting pretty serious... she also knew that we'd been arguing that night.... she made
me sit down and listen to this

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   

top topics

<<   2 >>

join