It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Coyote Caught On Camera Roaming Lexington Subdivision Again

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 11:00 PM
link   
I hear about this from time to time and over the last decade or so it seems I am hearing more about it. I probably would not think much of it if I had not seen a pack of three myself on the south side of the town over 10 years ago. During that time the rabbits disappeared and peoples cats were mysteriously never coming home. Eventually they were trapped and relocated.

This is the first time I have heard of them behaving this way, which seems to add to the theory that this is becoming more common place than once thought.

"It just didn't act the way I know coyotes should act," says Karen.

While walking her two dogs around 4:30 pm in broad daylight,

"It followed me home. When I turned around, it was across the street, and I hollered at it. That should have made it go away, but it didn't," says Karen. "That's really not usual for a wild animal to be that way."

Source

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Skewed

Yeah, coyotes are quite common in populated areas. Mainly due to us building on their land. I see no problem here.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 11:06 PM
link   
It's pretty usual. Coyote's are bold animals. They don't scare too easily. I live in the country and I have to run them away from my place sometimes. They usually don't spook, just kind of saunter off like they lose interest or decide it's not worth it.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Dude,a few years back I had one walking down my street here in louisville.
And I have 4 deer that frequent my backyard often.

Nature is coming back,rightfully so.

I welcome it unless they take one of my kids.

And ,I might also add,that raccoon's are frequent visitors here,so I have one of those hav-a-hart live traps that I catch them with and relocate them.
edit on 23-1-2012 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Because we don't eat coyotes and they associate us as a source of food they are becoming less afraid of us.

The same thing is occurring with black bears.

They like Snickers,Cheetos and Doritos the same as we do !

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Im in Colorado and we have TONS of coyotes all around us. In fact, a family lives behind my house...literally behind it. I sit on my back deck and watch them play and catch food...

They are very very aggressive here.....they have been attacking dogs, kids, adults.....so when we go on walks, we have to take a weapon practically

However, I am out in the country sort of....but they are very very common in all areas of Colorado...
edit on January 23rd 2012 by greeneyedleo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Wouldn't it be funny if by virtue of proximity to humans, and by dint of living off our scraps a whole range of species started to list toward domestication? In which case, we would not be seeing nature resurgent in any sort of traditional sense, save only that the fittest are those best able to get along with suburbanites.

To adapt is to become adorable.

Those poor coyotes ditched their fear of humans, and shall not prosper half so well as the raccoons who are tame enough to coax a bowl of cat food from a housewife.
edit on 23-1-2012 by Eidolon23 because: Ain't neoteny a bitch?

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Coyotes in populated areas lose their fear of humans and can't be scared off easily. The small pets and trash around neighborhoods brings them in when there is a shortage of food and water in the wild. They learn to be quiet as they roam the streets at night. I lost quite a few pets before I got wise to them being around, and that was only because it snowed one night and their paw prints were all over the fresh snow on our lawn in the morning.

Out here on the open, unpopulated prairie where we now live, the coyotes are very timid and run like hell when they see us We can't get within 50 yards of them. We have a .17 caliber critter popper to keep them away during the day when our cats are out. At night we don't care because all 9 of our cats are collected before the sun goes down. We are mindful of the fact that the coyotes were here first, so the night belongs to them.

Don't leave your pets out at night, and if you go out during the day walking and you happen upon a coyote whom you feel threatened by, a big fat stick or a big rock will make it run away if you smack it. When I lived in the city as a kid, we lived on the outskirts in a new subdivision, and I had one chase me on my bike all the way home. You never know if one will decide to be aggressive.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Last time I visited the Blue Ridge Parkway for camping I saw a few coyotes in an old lot on the outskirts of Boone, NC.
Also spotted a 13 point buck near my father's home in PA, several times in fact. He (my father) lives in Wynnewood, a suburb township just outside of Philly. The buck must live in a 1 acre wooded area between a playground and the neighborhood, because everything else is all residential. I'd often times see it in people's yards stealing fruit off the trees, or raiding the backyard gardens. I eventually discovered it was using a small creek as a path to travel from this wooded acre to the park, hitting yards in between.

This sort of animal/human sharing ground is becoming the norm as we're imposing on more and more of their territory. I say we just give them their space, respect them, but remain vigilant.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 11:56 PM
link   
One of my favorite topics. I live just a short walk from a nature walk. There are all manner of critters there. I see doe's now and then, cyotes, cooners, rats and all the other kinds. Never have I had any problems except with a large male coon. He was very agressive to all. The highway finally got him. There are people always walking through. The animals just accept and go on. One cyote is the size of a german shep. Been here a long time. Sad they have give the order to shoot on sight for cyotes. Followed a grade schooler home one day and really traumatized him.
We must remember, stripped of our tools and put in the wild, we just become part of the food chain.

thay

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 12:27 AM
link   
So it's not just Road Runner that has to meep meep and flee...

Crazy, I've never heard of this sort of thing, I know about deer and the like venturing into urban areas, but not coyote. I'm amazed thus far there has been no "A coyote stole my baby!!" jokes, plenty of dingo jokes but the dingo in the outback never comes here.

I wonder if this guy purchased a ticket lol

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 12:30 AM
link   
They are starting to run in packs around here. They use to be afraid of human activity. They were starting to loose their fear of humans, so they started to get brave enough to literally come onto people’s back porches.

We tried accommodating them. But we learned our lesson the hard way. We tried using firecrackers to scare them away. It works at first. But they quickly learn that the firecrackers won’t hurt them, and they just have to wait until we are asleep in the early morning.

Dead newborn calves. Dead farm animals throughout the valley. Chickens, cats, dogs….. You name it. they killed a dog that weighed almost a 100 lb about a month ago. Ate about half of him. They chased another dog into a lake where he drown before the owner could come to the rescue.

It came to a head for me when several followed me from the barn to the house. By the time I got back outside with the shotgun, they had already left. They were not just following, they were stalking.

Everyone else in the valley has finally come to the collective conclusion that “enough was enough”

We now have a shoot on sight policy. It’s time the survivors learn a healthy fear of humans again. They seem to be getting the message. They are starting to stay clear of any human activity now. Farms that haven’t taken any action have noticed that coyote kills have almost come to a complete halt. We know we haven’t killed all of them because we can hear them howling on the hill tops, but they have learned they better stay away for their own good. Just as it should be.

So, my best advice would be to shoot them when you see them. You may regret it if you don’t.

Just giving you a friendly warning. Nothing more nothing less. You may not like my opinion, but I personally don’t give a damn.
edit on 24-1-2012 by Mr Tranny because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 01:54 AM
link   
Bastard coyotes took our dear 13yo girl Yorkie, right before Christmas
Poor thing, she couldn't hear a thing as it was, and it was at night to boot... She had no idea what was coming

I'm in a suburb just south of Atlanta. Right after this had happened, there were a whole litter of posted signs around the neighborhood; I'd say about a good 9-10 pets. Dogs, cats, you name it.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 07:10 AM
link   
I saw a coyote last night on my way home from skiing, dead on the highway. That's pretty common around here. I see tracks through my yard and see them several times a week roaming around, whether I am driving or just out in my yard. My dog flips out whenever he hears them outside but they don't come around when he is out there. I can hear them yipping and howling and stuff every night when I am out walking him. I live in a rural area in New Brunswick.

You can get a varmit license to hunt them and there a couple of sporting goods stores here that hold contests for the biggest coyote.

They are a pretty normal, common thing around here or even in the more suburban/ urban areas. There have even been a couple of coyote attacks on adult humans in the last few years in eastern Canada
edit on 24-1-2012 by GAOTU789 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 07:32 AM
link   
For the coyotes around here and the ones I have encountered they have always been skiddish and would avoid contact. I find it interesting that over the years they are becoming less afraid of humans.

It kind of reminds me of boot camp where the squirrels were not afraid of us when we walked/marched by them and they would pay us no mind.
edit on 24-1-2012 by Skewed because: (no reason given)

top topics

join