It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What happened to Costa Concordia: Minute by Minute

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 05:19 PM
link   
We've heard a lot about the Costa Concordia disaster and seen a lot of pictures. The Capotain has been villified by the Media, including here on ATS. This is an explanation of what actually happened, minute by minute, narrated by a ship captain who knows what he is talking about. His narration is not well done technically, with lots of "Uhs" and "ums," but what he says is fascinating.

First, they know where the ship was at any given second in its path via stored GPS data which can be run through a computer and re-enacted. That's what this video shows.

Second, the rock he hit was NOT "uncharted" as the Captain claimed. He screwed up, plain and simple.

Third, AFTER he hit the rock the Captain's actions were extraordinary. The ship was headed out to sea with no engines and would likely have sunk in deep water, but the Captain used the bow thruster of the ship to force it aground as close to the port as he could get. That part of his manuevering was really masterful.

I'm not defending the Captain's actions before or after the disaster, his attitude, or his abandoning ship, so puhlease spare me the insults, but just look how he got the 1000 foot monster aground. You really have to watch the vid to see what happened here.
edit on 1/20/2012 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

Yeah....he did do a decent job of getting the ship closer to land after the incident happened. He still was too close in though probably. And yes...the captain is ALWAYS the last one off the ship....

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 09:31 PM
link   
I saw a report on the tv last night and in it there was one of the
ships liaison officers telling a group with their life jackets on to
"go back to your rooms, there is nothing to be worried about"

It was followed by more footage of water comming down a staircase
like a waterfall.

Ladies and gentlemen please remain calm as we sink

join