It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Open "Discussion"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 11:23 PM
link   
My question is this: If there are hackers out there that can do such great things (anonymous?), could they keep the electronic voting machines that undoubtedly are reprogrammed during elections, could they somehow keep them pristine, straight, legal and unprogrammed to change votes once cast?

To me, that would be the apex of this election. To keep it right, above board and not tampered with.

If my choice in the upcoming primaries and elections wins or loses, I would like it to be fair and square.

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 11:27 PM
link   
"could they somehow keep them pristine, straight, legal and unprogrammed to change votes once cast?"

maybe they can monitor it then report the findings after..

but to keep it straight nah , to many systems , to much security , not enough time lol

best way is paper ballot voting , leaves a paper trail. Most secure way , next to RFID scanning voting . Or blood + dna match voting

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by yourboycal2

best way is paper ballot voting , leaves a paper trail. Most secure way , next to RFID scanning voting . Or blood + dna match voting

SHHHHHHH...... Some egghead reading this forum on his lunch break at DARPA will now run off and see about how such a thing could be created in time for 2016. lol....
edit on 15-1-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: fixing quotes

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 12:06 AM
link   
reply to post by NightFlight

Well and think of this... Let us say this group of hackers performed this task you speak of. Let us say that they somehow gather enough resources and time and people to "monitor" these machines used in the voting process and find that votes are miscounted. They report this insanity directly through the media telling the people that all the votes were miscounted. Perhaps they even provide an ample source of proof backing up their claims. Well then, people like you and me would see the truth and would be glad it is being told. People like you and me would applaud them and demand fair voting rights-- BUT -- The people with the power and authority to program the machines to give an outcome supplying their agenda... do you think they would let the hacking group be justified?

No... unfortunately I believe those people would still manage to win in the end. I mean logistically, it wouldn't look so good to see a group of world-class and somewhat infamous hackers "monitor" the voting machines. They would throw it right back on that group saying that they rigged the votes to make it seem bad, or whatever the best excuse would be they would use it

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 12:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by yourboycal2
"could they somehow keep them pristine, straight, legal and unprogrammed to change votes once cast?"

maybe they can monitor it then report the findings after..

but to keep it straight nah , to many systems , to much security , not enough time lol

At this point and time we are fighting over having to just show ID. I'm in my 40's and have to show ID to buy beer, but not to vote. Unreal

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 12:48 AM
link   
reply to post by PhysicsAdept

That is an excellent point, but the reality is that almost every election has had some tampering somewhere. The trick is not getting caught. Bush had the legal system to wipe away the problems, Obama got through with the media. America does seam to have quite a colourful array of different voting systems and methods which it good at limiting any monopolistic control over the system.

There is some very well documented issues and flaws through out the electoral system with public expose providing some assistance in seeking resolution but is not always effective. The reality is that deception works as long as it does remain deceptive. There has already been lots of calls in rigged and tampered voting with the current candidate selections. I am not sure how effective any investigations have been so far.

America has a strong competitive spirit when it comes to the election process with many issues in the grey area explored and crossed along the way. In article 18 of the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights www2.ohchr.org...

Everyone shall have the right to freedom of thought, conscience and religion...

With Article 4, these rights are not subject to any derogation under this provision. I do expect there will be some IT staff put into difficult situations as the technology tries to keep up with the times. Be careful in engaging the dragon that you do not become one, keep the bastards honest and good luck.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by NightFlight

My question is this: If there are hackers out there that can do such great things (anonymous?), could they keep the electronic voting machines that undoubtedly are reprogrammed during elections, could they somehow keep them pristine, straight, legal and unprogrammed to change votes once cast?

Sometimes I enjoy letting my thoughts wander about certain subjects, this is one that has interested me.

My answer to this hypothetical (?) would be to implement a virus into the system (?).

After the virus has run its course, I would gather all data collected and reverse engineer an anti virus to counteract any further attemps to "reprogram" voting machines around election times.

IMHO

YOS

top topics

join