It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Monsanto to face biopiracy charges in India.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 08:34 PM
link   
www.reddit.com...

An Indian government agency has agreed to sue the developers of genetically modified (GM) eggplant for violating India's Biological Diversity Act of 2002. India's National Biodiversity Authority (NBA) is alleging that the developers of India's first GM food crop—Jalna-based Maharashtra Hybrid Seeds Company (Mahyco) partnered with St. Louis–based seed giant Monsanto and several local universities—used local varieties to develop the transgenic crop, but failed to gain the appropriate licenses for field trials. At the same time, activists in Europe are claiming that patents on conventionally bred plants, including a melon found in India, filed by biotech companies violate farmers' rights to use naturally occurring breeds.

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   
I hope they win... more countries need too speak out against one of the most evil corporations in the world.

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by ReadyPower

It's news like this that almost makes me feel like living. Nice post OP, hope you don't mind if I add a little bio-fuel to the equation...?

*starts pumping 10 cubic metres of oil used for cooking fish all over Monsanto*
"Burn!"

I guess they will soon have eggplant all over their faces?

edit on 15/1/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Monsanto bought Xe.

So they better do all the talking now before they need to mobilize their army to stop Monsanto.

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by InfoKartel

Monsanto bought Xe.

So they better do all the talking now before they need to mobilize their army to stop Monsanto.

PLEASE tell me you're kidding. No.... Not a merger of Monsanto and Blackwater/Graystone. That isn't even funny.

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Monsanto and every single connection to Government needs to be stopped.

How can one company justify starting out with Bayer's, then developing Agent Orange and finally moving into destroying the very thing that feeds humanity...seeds.

Evil is too weak a word for this monster.

And yes, you corporate shill sell-outs in the White House that are connected to this are of the same caliber. Nothing but Dog $#IT that needs to be scraped off our shoes.

Was I too gentle?

Peace

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Well done India for playing Monsanto's convoluted and self serving games. It is sure to make one hell of a legal mess with the issues of IP, right to life and recognising how farmers have IP rights with the crops they have worked with over the generations if Monsanto is to have IP rights with it's breads and strains. This is a great tacit putting Monsanto's approach to the law back in their own lap and will raise all kinds of operational and social issues.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by InfoKartel

Monsanto bought Xe.

Makes me wonder. Could be the first case of a private corporation openly using their private army to get their way- it won't be long before corporations and private citizens use private forces to get what they want.

Maybe Xe will be called in to shoot up the courtroom where this trial will be held to send a message to the Indian Government... And the US government would have to justify it since Monsanto has paying influence?
edit on 16-1-2012 by star in a jar because: more info

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by star in a jar

India does have the bomb, so Xe does need to tread with caution before they get into something they cannot back out of.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   
I hope to God that Monsanto loose.... They having been bullying farmers and countries the world over...
edit on 16-1-2012 by purplemer because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join