It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Irisin. Is this the new miracle drug that will save us from being fat?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Haven't seen it posted yet and thought I would post about the news release about IRISIN. It is supposed to be a new miracle drug that replaced white fat with brown fat. This is supposed to simulate exercise and possibly battle diabetes.

Here is one of many links out there.
www.telegraph.co.uk...

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 09:12 AM
link   
I think that the best drug is a combination of a medicine ball and duct tape.

I wouldn't trust anything new approved by FDA. Too much greed involved in drugs and approvals

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Or instead of trying to take shortcuts...

Seriously people need to stop looking for instant solutions to losing weight and just get up and start working hard and discipline themselves. I guess some have genuine medical conditions that might benefit from "miracle" drugs but this is not a miracle. Miracles are events that were once thought impossible and losing weight for a huge majority is a matter of lack of effort.

edit on 12-1-2012 by OwenGP185 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 09:27 AM
link   
I hope not. People need to take responsibility for their actions. If you are fat, it is down to you. Stop eating so much and do some exercise - this is effective for 99% of tubby folk.

Don't expect wonder medicine to save you and then moan when it doesn't or there are side effects!

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by OwenGP185

Of course it’s not a definitive (quote, unquote) "miracle".
I'm not claiming that.
I was just using the word in a casual nature such to describe this event as "unlikely but beneficial."
I was not insinuating that this is an act of god.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 10:05 AM
link   
You don't want to get fat? Easy. Do not eat too much.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   
A pill that Simulates exercise !
Yes we have had pills that raise the metabolic rate for some time now...

The were formerly called diet pills or stimulants !

I presume if someone considers working out as only working in doors in a gym....breathing all of that stale air .

They really just need to get off their duff and get moving .....as a society we sit way too much.

It is somewhat sad to hear this because exercise makes you feel so good and taking a pill can never simulate the exhilaration of good old plain exercise and physical work outdoors....

There are Many more benefits to breathing fresh air that a pill can never provide....

Remember how they treated TB patients....with lots of mountain fresh air ? .

Stay away from drugs of any kind...unless absolutely necessary.

Peace

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 10:16 AM
link   
As an individual who has personally accomplished significant weight loss (100+ pounds) the old fashioned way, I can undoubtedly tell you it wasn't easy. I spent the better part of 8-10 months running almost daily until I got most of the weight off. Along that time I undertook a whole lifestyle change for the better. I am now at a comfortable 225 for a 6'5" frame, down from 338. I've been at my new weight for about 2-3 years now and there is no going back. In fact before the holiday I started to creep back up around 245 and this time I tried a new supplement that was given as a sample at GNC. Turns out these pills have been good to me too. I dropped those 20 pounds in about a month and am currently back at 225. Oxy Elite Pro are the pills and they suppress your appetite as well as boost metabolism and they burn fat too. So a healthy balance can be reached by both means but without the hard work there isn't as much incentive to keep it off. God knows I don't want to re run those hundreds of miles to get a ton of weight back off

Just my 2 pennies

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by phishfriar47

Are you continuing to run? I ask because I know that when I hit my target weight (and that is kind of like probably once a year) I have to keep up a maintenance routine. Maybe not as strenuous as when you're really trying to cut weight, but I know if I don't keep it up as a lifestyle I'll go right back there.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   
A semantic proposition... the opposite of a "drug" to remove fat, might be the substance that is converted into fat... refined sugar.

I found this video last year, and figured I'd only watch for about 30 seconds. Instead, I watched the WHOLE 1 1/2 hours and IMHO, its the best information around regarding sugar consumption and related health problems. Its especially good info. for people who have a modicum of education in simple chemistry. ENJOY

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   

New pill that 'helps you to stay fit without exercise'

A new drug that could provide new treatment for a range of obesity related disorders without a need to hit the gym has been developed by scientists.

You want to talk about instant riches. The company the develops such a thing would have to beat investors away with a stick. Heck, even huckster companies do quite well selling placebos advertised as doing the same thing.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   
To all of you who keep parroting the mantra that fat people are lazy and lack discipline and simply need to get off there asses and put down the forks...

You're idiots!

Lethargy and hunger are more likely symptoms of obesity rather than causes. www.abovetopsecret.com...

Fat people are driven to be lazy and hungry by physiologic states. That's right... researchers determined a long time ago that physiology dominates obesity, not psychology. In fat people, physiologic conditions and happenstances (metabolic dysfunction) drive psychologic (lazy, lack of discipline, cravings, hunger, etc.).

edit on 12-1-2012 by DevolutionEvolvd because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by surfin4it
A semantic proposition... the opposite of a "drug" to remove fat, might be the substance that is converted into fat... refined sugar.

I found this video last year, and figured I'd only watch for about 30 seconds. Instead, I watched the WHOLE 1 1/2 hours and IMHO, its the best information around regarding sugar consumption and related health problems. Its especially good info. for people who have a modicum of education in simple chemistry. ENJOY

Agreed. I saw this video about a year ago, and I haven't seen sugar the same way since. IMO, this should be a part of high school biology class. Poison in - cancer out. Once he broke it down into simple biological processes, and showed how the liver receives sugar as it does a poison, I had to pick my jaw up off the floor. Such a brilliant presentation!
edit on 1/18/2012 by chasingbrahman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by remyrange
Haven't seen it posted yet and thought I would post about the news release about IRISIN. It is supposed to be a new miracle drug that replaced white fat with brown fat. This is supposed to simulate exercise and possibly battle diabetes.

Here is one of many links out there.
www.telegraph.co.uk...

I seriously doubt it.
Its about a proper diet.
And, oh, yes, our whole food supply is contaminated, so good luck figureing that one out.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by chasingbrahman

Originally posted by surfin4it

Agreed. I saw this video about a year ago, and I haven't seen sugar the same way since. IMO, this should be a part of high school biology class. Poison in - cancer out. Once he broke it down into simple biological processes, and showed how the liver receives sugar as it does a poison, I had to pick my jaw up off the floor. Such a brilliant presentation!
edit on 1/18/2012 by chasingbrahman because: (no reason given)

Sugar is just the tip kf the iceberg. Investigate! Our whole food supply is contaminated!

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   
As an overweight 61 year old I resent being told its because I'm lazy or that I'm stuffing my face even. In fact I'm out dogwalking several times a day and I have a much better diet than some of my thinner friends!
The amount people can eat without putting on weight does vary - plus metabolism drops with age.
It's OK for those TV dieters who 'simply' have to cut out the pies and chips etc. What's a person like me supposed to do when they already have a good diet?
I've recently upped my veg and fruit, reduced carbs, I'm eating smaller and more regularly, I don't eat after 5pm and I've ramped up the exercise. It had better work because I don't know what else I can do.
Miracle drug? Bring it on.
edit on 18-1-2012 by starchild10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by starchild10
As an overweight 61 year old I resent being told its because I'm lazy or that I'm stuffing my face even. In fact I'm out dogwalking several times a day and I have a much better diet than some of my thinner friends!
The amount people can eat without putting on weight does vary - plus metabolism drops with age.
It's OK for those TV dieters who 'simply' have to cut out the pies and chips etc. What's a person like me supposed to do when they already have a good diet?
I've recently upped my veg and fruit, reduced carbs, I'm eating smaller and more regularly, I don't eat after 5pm and I've ramped up the exercise. It had better work because I don't know what else I can do.

Well it definitely sounds like you are doing all the right things. Reduce simple carbs, eat healthy fats (fish, olive), lean protein, tons of veggies, and move your body. Ive seen a lot of people have success with weight watchers and you can find the booklets and point calculators online so you don't really have to go to the meetings although it helps to have a weight loss buddy or two. Truly if you are not losing then you may want to mention that to your doc next time you see them, couldn't hurt to check a thyroid and a blood sugar.
Good luck, and you can do it!

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 02:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by starchild10

I agre with you, this is why a miracle drug is not the answer.
Have you not considered that you are overweight because our food supply is contaminated?
Incidently, have you always been overweight or have you put this on in the last 20 years or so?
you do realize that your body cares not that it is after 5 pm....Its a myth. off course not eating after 5 pm means you eat 20-30% less. thats all.
edit on 19-1-2012 by BBalazs because: edit

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 10:48 AM
link   
It would be helpful for folks who have diabetes and cannot exercise because of physical handicaps.
edit on 25-1-2012 by remyrange because: not a good reason, just needed to change what I said

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by remyrange

it was found 80% of "peer reviewed studies" have bias in them due to scientist wish fulfillment/expectations/fraud.

i mean you spend 2 years and $500 000 of the company money on some crappy drug and you are going to tell your boss you have nothing to show for it?

no....you get real.

you massage the data for it to look good.

here is a perfect example how the figures are massaged.

next time you hear some 2 bit hack journalist telling about the latest cancer drug improving rates by 18%.

remember this:-

www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 25-1-2012 by nobodysavedme because: info.

<<   2 >>

join