It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are people trying to trick god?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 06:01 AM
link   
I decided to create this thread after responding to a thread in the paranormal studies section...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Does anyone ever get the impression that some people are trying to trick or fool god? Professing to be or do one thing whilst doing another?

It'd be rude to make thse comments without declaring my own beliefs. I do believe there's a god, I don't think I know who or what he or she is other than he/she is on a higher "plane" of existence and is our one true creator, I believe god loves us no matter what because on the whole, I believe our actions and behaviour in this life are pretty insignificant in the grand scheme of things, as long as we respect and love each other and live decent, meaningful lives. Some people are so arrogant as to believe we are the most important thing in this universe, as if a public display of worship has some cosmic and significant meaning.

I don't believe in ritual or ceremony or prayer...to me these are shows, I see this stuff as people trying to show god how much they love him/her or want him/her in their life. I believe that god knows what we feel and think, regardless of how we act in the physical world. Some people find god on their own and that's great, most people find god through pressure and fear. We shouldn't fear god, nor should we have to put on displays or worship him through ritual in order to show him this...it seems insincere and somewhat contrived to me.

I really don't want to offend anyone, or mock their belief in god, if people want to use ritual etc to show their love of god then that's fine as long as it's a reflection of how they really think and feel. It amazes me that peoples inherant beliefs just happen to fit snugly into some mainstream religion - your relationship with god should differ just as your relationships with the people in your life...you don't love everyone the same, each relationship is unique and personal.

You can't trick god in any way, shape or form...be true and good in your heart, acknowledge and respect him/her in your mind and soul.

Just wanted to get that off my chest, feel free to bash or agree, but be honest and true to yourself in the process, beleiving one thing in your heart and sould but professing to believe another is quite foolish...you can't trick or lie to god.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 06:09 AM
link   
Is god fake and tricking people?

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 06:16 AM
link   
i want to know if god is infinity plus one or infinity times infinity
or something else all together.

and if god created science how come science cant prove god?
and if science cant prove god then how can he be all knowing and all that?
hmm?

edit on 12-1-2012 by stopmakingsense because: snf cos i know theres gonna be some real good ones

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 06:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by SupersonicSerpent
Is god fake and tricking people?

Brilliant. Just brilliant

Boom!

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 06:20 AM
link   
For what purpose...and how?

If god...our creator, is guiding or steering us in some direction then that is our destiny and the reason he created us...if something is tricking us, it isn't god - most likely man tricking itself in gods name.

I don't see how god can be tricking us, an interesting but rather warped view of your perception of who or what god is, possibly. Still, cheers for the response it's appreciated.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 06:20 AM
link   
I believe that God is love. You can fake love but if it isn't there - it isn't there. Luckily everyone and everything has at least 1% of love in them which can always go up to 100% if they choose. 100% love is full integration with God which you can achieve while HERE while LIVING!

Most people don't understand that.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 06:21 AM
link   
In some cases yes, I do wonder if people are 'playing the part'.

However, I think they are more trying to trick themselves or trick other people, than God.

I am not a religious person, as a result of searching for many years through different religions, for an understanding of our Creator.
To me, He is an Architect, a Scientist that has set all into motion what we see and don't see.
I agree, we are just a small part of it all.
My mind tells me he exists. But when I look at the universe its seems to me there is no need for public or private ritualistic forms of devotion. That all strikes me more as a man-made idea.

No offense to those who do so. To each his own.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 06:25 AM
link   
reply to post by stopmakingsense

Science might not be advanced enough to prove god exists...science can't prove a lot of things but people still claim to have experienced and seen them. Could an ant prove that humans exist? Doubtful, an ant can't prove humans exist using science because 1 - they ain't intelligent enough and 2 - they don't have the technology...but you can step on and kill the ant, so as far as the ant is concerned humans do existt.

Just because our current understanding of science can't be used to prove there's a god doesn't mean he doesn't exist.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 06:30 AM
link   
reply to post by stopmakingsense

Good question.
But even the science community call it searching for the 'The God Particle'. The Higgs Boson, that is.
In science, discovery is all in steps.
Back in the day, it was believed atoms were it. Now we know there's a whole new world inside, scientist have delved into. Complicated at best, but possibly the most fundamental things in life are there.
The idea of God seems so much more complicated.

Just saying, maybe we just need to get there.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 06:30 AM
link   
Interesting thread, and I will try to give my opinion on most of what you said. I believe in God as well, although I am not convinced of any religion. A lot of people say that God exists on a different plane, or in a different reality, but personally I believe we cannot comprehend anything about God's "existence." I do not think God can be perceived or thought of using our everyday language, senses, and ideas. God is located everywhere, yet nowhere.

I doubt God would be made up of physical matter, and I highly doubt that God's existence includes anything physical in the way we perceive the word. I also get aggravated at those who think that humans are the grandest things in existence. I get annoyed even more when someone thinks this, but also believes that THEY are the most important thing in the universe, lol. I have known some self-centered individuals, and it's a horrible trait.

I am constantly getting "preached" at by my grandmother, who is a devout Methodist, and I was thinking about something last week. The Bible says that if you ask God for anything, you will get it, as long as it is within God's plan. Or something like that.

So then I thought, well if that is the case, what is the point of prayer on a mass scale? If someone has a problem they wish to pray about, they should simply be able to ask God, and they will either get answered or they won't. There is no point in multiple people praying, for example, for the recovery of someone who is ill. Can anyone explain this to me?

I completely agree with regard to rituals. I just find it hard to believe in the God of the Old Testament, who was jealous and vengeful, among other things. My God would certainly not be subject to such petty emotions. And if this is the God who laid out the "rituals," then it is even more proof for me that the text was nothing more than man-made.

As far as people believing or worshiping God because they are afraid of something...hell maybe, I would think that many were indoctrinated into this belief from an early age. Even if they gave it up at one point, their young impressionable minds have retained that dogma, which can crop up later in life.

I do believe religion has a purpose though. Like Plato described in the Republic, religion is a great tool to keep people in line. Religion can be more powerful than laws. I could actually make an argument for a national religion, even if I don't believe in it, for the greater overall good of society, but I suppose this isn't the time. Not any current religion however.

I agree that no one can trick or fool God, and that ties in with your personal relationship with Him as well as how you communicate. I do not believe anyone has to attend church, and especially not confess their sins to a priest, because they are all "public" actions. I say what you say, which is everyone should have their own relationship with their own God. I believe that God can hear your thoughts, so speaking with Him can be done anytime. Praising God doesn't have to mean worshiping in a certain building with other people. You can praise God by your just actions, your charity and kindness.

I personally think that part of the way God communicates with people is through their conscience. I am reminded of the spirit Socrates always referred to, the one that guided him throughout life. Despite their convictions in the texts we have remaining from them, many of the Greek philosophers were mono-theistic believers. Plato alludes to this if you compare multiple dialogues. They couldn't say anything of course, because of the times they lived in.

I wouldn't worry about offending anyone. From what I have learned, you will almost always offend someone, and that isn't your fault. And trying to please everyone is impossible, so you may as well just speak the truth and what you believe. So thanks again for the thread, and opportunity for a bit of discussion. Take care.
edit on 1/12/12 by JiggyPotamus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 06:42 AM
link   
reply to post by JiggyPotamus

Thank you fur such an honest and eloquent response.

I don't really mind being bashed or hounded on this one, to be honest, but you're right - I could make the most innocent and inconsequential of claims on any forum and be attacked for it.

As long as people are open for healthy debate and honest about what they think and feel...their true, inherant beliefs -- then it's all good.

I appreciate all of your responses, thanks.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Of course they are. Anyone who deceives them selves into believing they can hide from an Omnipotent, Omniscient, Omnipresent, Eternal, Sovereign God, is trying to trick the Being. Men will be held accountable for their actions, though I do believe God is a very fair and just God, very merciful and loving. My belief is there are people of every religion and belief in Heaven, even some *gasp* Atheists.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by samerulesapply

Are people trying to trick god? Good question. My mom became a born again, holy rolling, speaking in tongues Penticostal Christian after the death of her 2nd child. My father didn't acquiesce.

After years of tears, I mean years and years, and tears and tears, he finally gave in and told my mom that he now believed. Then she threw the "What if your wrong?" argument my way. What am I supposed to say? "You're right mom, I could be wrong, so I guess I believe now." ??? NOT!

So who's tricking god?

top topics

join