It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do Nuclear Plants Release Anything?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Hi not sure if this is the right forum for this if inappropriate could someone please move it

My question is this do nuclear plants release anything into the atmosphere?
the reason I ask is a very strange sighting I had once and I have looked it up to see if plants release any rogue protons or plasma basically anything with a flash/glow but have found nothing so far here's my experience:

I't was about midnight and I went out for a smoke with my brother we were both on a holiday caravan site right next to a nuclear capable power plant when all of a sudden a flash of plasma or lightning struck upwards in the sky for just a split second it was so fast my bro didn't see it when I told him, it also burned into my eyes for a few minutes like when you look at a lightbulb lol.

To me it appeared about the size of a tennis ball and moved about 200m but that's
all just perspective it could of been massive and far away or tiny and upclose I thought ball lightning but really I haven't got a clue.

Anyone got any clue to what I saw?
The date was 3rd July and the site was Morecambe/Heysham

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Nuke plants are not supposed to release anything like that, maybe some radioactive steam but that would not make any light.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Nuclear plants do not release anything because its closed system, only cooling system is connected to outside. But they have emergency system when pressure is too high, they can release hot steam from reactor to avoid explosion. Some particles can get past reactor building, but they have small energy.

Maybe it was just lightning, sometimes lightning goes upwards.
edit on 11-1-2012 by Thebel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   
they release nuclear waste that is then placed in steel barrels and then dumped in the seas of places like somalia where there isnt a government to complain about it.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Could have been a lightning rod ontop of the plant or one of the nearby structures;

The commentary in that video above sounds convincing in relation to tall structures and lightning which shoots upwards. Also, just realised you mentioned a ball of light, it could very well have been ball lightning.

Just a guess

I do not think nuclear power plants release any kind of electricity into the sky

edit on 11/1/2012 by InsideYourMind because: fixed video embed

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   
steam

link   
reply to post by RAY1990

That must have been truly spectacular!
Normally nuclear facilities, if proper maintained, leak next to nothing.

There is however an interesting point to make about a "morphogenetic" field around all nuclear facilities, even the military ones. Those with a set of nukes.
These things definitely do not leak anything.
You can always find a circular pattern in several rings, like a stationary wave-pattern around them.
Living on these "waves" is unhealthy., especially for kids.
These area's are not "wind dispersion area's".
As I can remember this was the result of a British health research.

link   
reply to post by RAY1990

I would say that fukushima released a lot of stuff into the atmosphere .

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by RAY1990

Yes they do release things. Mainly press releases telling us everything is fine.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Thebel

It was a relatively calm night no clouds or anything so I kind of ruled out lightning, the plant did have it's water coolers working a lot that sucked in and blew out water from the sea plus the day after it had a few emergency drills but that's all I thought they were

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   
The local politicians have the black community here convinced that the nuke plants send the waste through the electric lines to their homes get rid of it. You would be suprised how many people believe it. Not the brightest lot in Benton Harbor MI

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by InsideYourMind

Neither did I

The building itself was not that tall really just about 8-10 floors high, it seemed too dull for lightning but then too fast for ball lightning could of been some kind of crazy experiment or mistake (which I doubt) till I find out though I guess ball lightning is the best description.

can ball lightning be created in power plants?

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by RAY1990
can ball lightning be created in power plants?
Ball lightning has never been confirmed to exist, it's still a topic of some speculation and ongoing "research", which is in quotes because nobody really knows how to research it. Most reports are something along the lines of yours that have no evidence that can be examined, so it's difficult to research it.

However my guess would be some kind of electrical discharge, using the following hypothesis. Nuclear plants do release heat, and if they have cooling towers, also humidity. The rising heat and humidity creates a certain amount of convection which could result in small charge imbalances in different parts of the atmosphere. What you saw could have been such a small imbalance neutralizing itself with a small discharge.

Here's a paper about relatively short intracloud discharges which are only a few hundred meters long.

Compact intracloud lightning discharges

But I don't think it has to be cloudy to generate differential charges above a cooling tower.

en.wikipedia.org...

Most authorities are agreed, however, that whatever may be the origin of free electricity in the atmosphere, the electricity of enormous voltages that disrupts the air and produces the phenomena of lightning is due to the condensation of the watery vapor forming the clouds; each minute drop, as it moves through the air, collects upon its surface a certain amount of free electricity.
The cooling tower can produce moist air that moves upward and collects free electricity through convection, even without a cloud.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Nuclear power plants have big ponds inside with used nuclear fuel sitting in them. They release things into the atmosphere and are not a closed system. If somebody stops adding water to the pond, bad things happen.

Nuclear power plants do release ionized radiation into the atmosphere. They are not, and can not be a closed loop system. It is currently 64 counts per minute over by Philadelphia from some nuclear plants radiation release in that region:

radiationnetwork.com...

That's supposedly OK....you're not supposed to get worried until it gets up to 100 counts per minute.

Ionized Radiation in the atmosphere creates an electrical path from the highly charged particles in the Van Allen Belt...to ground. You saw a nuclear lightning bolt. Stay the heck away from there and stay upwind, not downwind.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

Thanks for the link

The plant had no cooling towers well onsite anyway it was a gas-cooled power plant I don't think they have them

en.wikipedia.org...

this is the plant it seemed to be over the 2nd building

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Pervius

strange thing about that week was that I came down with severe sunburn/sun stroke and it was warm but nowhere near as hot as foreign countries I have been too do you reckon it's connected?

and wow nuclear lightning
didn't know that stuff was possible

new topics

top topics

join