It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Controversy Swirls Around Harsh Anti-Obesity Ads

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by zarlaan

Sort of agreeing and sort of not LOL.

I mean that people get obsessed with fad diets carbs, wheat, protein. And it is simply a matter of eat less move more.
My other point which you did not argue (not just from the site) is about sodium intake and as it helps increase appetite.

Any yes AD is bad lossing weight Good lol

laters

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 12:46 AM
link   
IMO, the money they spent on this campaign would have been better spent on revamping school meals (often times it is 2 out 3 meals that a child eats, 5 days a week) and encouraging schools to add back many of the after school sports programs that have been eliminated in recent years.

So yes, while the parents are partially responsible, the government also needs to take some responsibility since they are the ones who determine what is acceptable to feed our children for school meals. (I know my kids don't eat that garbage)

And might I add that I was a chunky child, but I never ate non-processed foods, loved my raw veggies as a snack, rarely ate fatty foods or red meat, never drank soda or got sweets & played outside from sun up to sun down. Why was I chunky? Probably because I'm built like a frickin' linebacker.

I'm still technically above the ideal weight range for a woman of my height, but I'm right in the middle for a male. I have no health problems, I'm still very active & my doctor has never said a peep about it other than that I'm one of his healthiest patients. My best friend on the other hand is the perfect weight, is diabetic & has high blood pressure.

Also I'd like to point out that the BMI that many use as the "fat scale" was never intended to be used in such a manner. It was meant to be an indicator for recording keeping/statistic's by doctors/nurses. There are many factors that go into determining if a persons weight is a problem for their health & the BMI is not an accurate way to determine that. www.medicalnewstoday.com... or jezebel.com...#-on-the-bmi

And one other thing, if they intend on going after the over-weight people, how about they go after those with other eating disorders like anorexia. These types also strain our health care system. And lets not forget the many models/actors who stay bone thin on the coc aine and alcohol diet. That is not exactly a healthy way to live either. Why not go after them while we're at it. How about those N

Okay done ranting, it just really bothers me that so many are okay with our tax dollars being used to bully children, not to mention our societies need to constantly stick their nose into their neighbors business. I mean seriously, has anyone heard of the old saying "don't throw stones when you live in a glass house"?

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by lynn112
IMO, the money they spent on this campaign would have been better spent on revamping school meals (often times it is 2 out 3 meals that a child eats, 5 days a week) and encouraging schools to add back many of the after school sports programs that have been eliminated in recent years.

Revamping them to what? Honestly the school system via politicians have been modifying the lunch/break programs for years now and nothing has improved.

How bout this -- elementery schooll; I can hardle call a time where I didnt have a home cooked meal -- yet my mother worked as a single mom. I had daily some time of food that was from home and not from school.

So yes, while the parents are partially responsible, the government also needs to take some responsibility since they are the ones who determine what is acceptable to feed our children for school meals. (I know my kids don't eat that garbage)

I disagree here. The Government has no authority in my, or my child's life to be involved or responsible. I take responsibility on what is and what is not "acceptable" to feed my child...no school or government will ever dictate my child's eating habit.....ever.

And might I add that I was a chunky child, but I never ate non-processed foods, loved my raw veggies as a snack, rarely ate fatty foods or red meat, never drank soda or got sweets & played outside from sun up to sun down. Why was I chunky? Probably because I'm built like a frickin' linebacker.

Aside from our natural builds -- as I am a stocky (no one knows what that even means today) person and kid I also was active yet was able to inhale a large amount of calories. The problem arose when those activities stopped...and yet eating like you were burning 4 million calories a minute.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 09:33 AM
link   
like the ad says, stop sugar-coating everything. even this ad has been sugar-coated to make them happy and think its ok when they clearly it isnt.

if i did that advert it wouldnt have been as nice as that i would have started with "PUT DOWN THE FORK FATTY!". put some crocs on and go for a walk! yeah, you'll be clammy by the time you get to your front door but you brought it on yourself you fat s**t!

i may be a smoker, im well aware that it'll kill me but im heathly apart from that. i exercise daily, i dont drink and i eat healthy food (obviously have the occasional take-away, once a week at the very most).

the problem is its easier to buy a maccy d's than spend 30 minutes cooking something that wont clog up your body with crap! frickin hell, pasta only takes 15 minutes to cook!

better stop, im getting angry

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by ownbestenemy
Revamping them to what? Honestly the school system via politicians have been modifying the lunch/break programs for years now and nothing has improved.

Exactly. The lunch programs in the schools are horrid, with hardly any healthy options to be seen. The last time my daughter bought a lunch because she forgot her bagged one, she wanted water instead of milk & they charged her extra for it instead of encouraging it. Not to mention some schools are making it so the kids can't even bring lunches. How is that a case of the government not forcing kids to eat their crap?

Originally posted by ownbestenemy
How bout this -- elementery schooll; I can hardle call a time where I didnt have a home cooked meal -- yet my mother worked as a single mom. I had daily some time of food that was from home and not from school.

I grew up with a single parent as well (a single father) and every meal was home cooked as well. My kids get the same each day, dinner at the table, at a set time. That doesn't change the fact that at least one meal is at school & parents have little control on how healthy it is. And as I said, recess is a thing of the past, sports are almost gone & so kids are sitting, non-active for 8 hours a day. That is not healthly at all and is something that needs to be addressed by the government who set the rules for our kids school day.

I disagree here. The Government has no authority in my, or my child's life to be involved or responsible. I take responsibility on what is and what is not "acceptable" to feed my child...no school or government will ever dictate my child's eating habit.....ever.

The government does stick their nose into this apspect of our lives whether we like it or not. It has been that way for decades. Locally grown produce, meat and dairy is getting harder to acquire because of the government regulations that exist. I'm lucky because I have farms all around me and we grow a nice size garden each year. We also can/freeze for the winter months, but how many even know how to do this anymore? Heck, most kids don't even know how to cook basic meals. Just teaching healthy cooking from scratch, getting kids away from the desk for a little bit of time each day would do wonders on keeping our children healthy.

Aside from our natural builds -- as I am a stocky (no one knows what that even means today) person and kid I also was active yet was able to inhale a large amount of calories. The problem arose when those activities stopped...and yet eating like you were burning 4 million calories a minute.

Actually I always ate like a bird, still do. My dad always joked that I was going to turn orange or green because I loved to carry carrots & green beans with me everywhere. I was even nicknamed his little veggie monster. I am just not built to be skinny, I am, and always will be, a healthy linebacker...lol

The problems that exist with our kids being over-wieght or under-weight is because everyone, parents and schools, have stopped teaching some basics about cooking healthy, eating meals together and staying active together. Ask any kid if they know the best way to cook a veggie and they likely won't know the answer is that uncooked is best, but steam them to keep the most nutrients. Ask them about portion sizes and they will look bewildered. Add in the fact that many kids have hours of homework every evening, leaving little tome to be active, and you have a recipe for disaster.

Things need to change in school and in the homes, but putting up bill-boards is akin to pointing a finger at an over-wight kid and laughing. It does nothing but lower their self-esteem at a time when we should be building it up so they want to be healthier. Positive reinforcement always works better than negative and in the end, this is something that is a personally problem that should be dealt with through their doctors and their parents.

And as I said before why are they just worried about the over-wieght children? There are many young kids that I would consider dangerously thin who eat little or nothing for days at a time. No one says a word to them except, "Hey, you should be a model." Neither end of the spectrum is healthly and both can do serious damage to a persons body.

new topics

<< 1  2   >>

join