It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Navy Rescues 13 Iranian Seamen From Pirates

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Sailors from the USS Kidd rescued 13 Iranian seamen from Somali pirates that had captured their vessel.

Despite tensions, US rescues 13 Iranian seamen from pirates

Casting aside current tensions between the U.S. and Iran, the U.S. Navy on Friday rescued 13 Iranian seamen who were being held captive by Somali pirates in the Gulf of Oman. A Navy helicopter from the aircraft carrier USS John C. Stennis, responding to a distress call from a merchant ship under attack by pirates, chased the pirates to their "mother ship," an Iranian-flagged dhow that had earlier been hijacked.
A heavily-armed counter-piracy team from the Navy destroyer USS Kidd met little resistance when they boarded the dhow where they found 15 armed pirates and the 13 Iranians who were being held hostage. The pirates were taken into custody. The Iranians were set free in their dhow.

I love this. Think of the irony.
edit on 6-1-2012 by JIMC5499 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Another thread beat me to it. Please delete this one.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 01:08 AM
link   
I hope some goodwill prevails among the countries involved. Both the countries working together would be beneficial for the region and the world.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 08:59 AM
link   
What a stellar trick to get some clandestine pro-western Iranian operatives on the ground in Tehran. Release a fishing boat with your operatives and pretend to 'rescue' them from pirates "We're fishermen, honest Mahmoud, we were kidnapped by pirates and saved by the good ol' US of A"...

Or perhaps it is real, who knows? Not you or I that's for sure.

join