It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Summary of When Dragon's Rule - Working Thread

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by ottobot
reply to post by Trexter Ziam

There are dwarves in the story?! Heck yes!

I'll come up with an interesting "recovery" storyline and also make a couple of incidental dwarf characters. I am a dwarf at heart.

Sorry, I thought you said "incidental" there. There was an incident, a very well written one! You did well.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by ottobot

You need to give me your ideas on how the story should go if you want me to follow your storyline. Otherwise, I'm just going to keep thwarting and frustrating you with my writings at every turn - I clearly am thinking a lot crazier things are possible in this story than you are willing to allow.

Please give me a rough outline of characters to write for so that you won't want to kill them off when their lives veer from the story arc. I'm begging you here!

(Totally expecting Rodrig and Rosaaya to get owned in the next installment.)

Rodrig and Rosaaya are right on track. They should be comandeering the capital. They make life tough for the citizens ... more gold, more gold, more gold. People can never dig up enough gold for them.

The people themselves have little if any use for gold. It gives them a job though.

The people live in squallor and Rodrig and Rosaaya should INSIST on the best of everything. The best furniture, the best food and wine, the costliest jewelry etc.

To pay for these items, they should tax the people until they bleed.

The dragons now, they too want the gold and useless decorative treasures for their hordes, and Rodrig and Rosaaya should pay their own dragons with the gold they get from the people's hard work.

Since the people have to pour all their energy into providing luxuries for the royalty, they have no time or energy to grow a decent garden for themselves or any other sort of self-help. That's why they are and always will be in squallor.

If you WANT a dwarf or dwarf family, okay. Make some normal cave dwelling dwarves - maybe a jeweler and his wife. But; they aren't part of the story really, so, should be back-drop sort of characters you might update once a week. Rodrig and Rosaaya are the mains you should focus on.

The dwarves are Rodrig and Rosaaya's adversaries. They are coming to take the capital. You already have what you need to take them out. You have to take them out to win the people's will. That will buy goodwill for some time (like a black flag operation); but, won't last forever. In the final end, Rodrig and Rosaaya and the dragons would all be lost in the climax. They are the arch-villains.
edit on 17/2/2012 by Trexter Ziam because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Ok, I'll write parts to this effect when I have a chance to.

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   
TZ: I just got a chance to read your last two postings.

Question: how can there be treasure room under the volcano? Dragon sleeps in the molten lava.

I have been rather busy and have a lot going on right now in my life, but I've been formulating a storyline that should work.

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 05:11 AM
link   
reply to post by ottobot

Dragons don't SLEEP in molten lava - unless it's eternal sleep (dead).

No dragon in fiction or mythology has slept or swam in lava. That's breaks the "suspension of disbelief."

The treasure room isn't UNDER the lave dome. Think of real life volcanos. Huge mountains with caves in the sides that don't go as deep in as the lava tube.

So, it's under the volcano's caldera perhaps; but, not under lava. Way down the mountainside.

Don't forget, the dragons are the enemy in the story - not omniscient, omnipresent, immortal dieties of any sort.

The dragon can die if he makes the wrong move (repeats his deceased mate's mistake.) You need to keep him alive awhile longer for the story.
edit on 12/3/2012 by Trexter Ziam because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Well, realistically, you're the one that keeps killing my characters when they don't fit into your story arc. This is why I asked for a synopsis of how you believe the story should go. So, just don't kill them and they will live longer.

There are several references in my previously posted segments to Dragon sleeping in the lava.

As to "suspension of disbelief" - this is why I wrote the Dragon Lore. A lot of my posts include significant amounts of lore so that the reader can see things from an alternative point of view - that of a telepathic, ancient being who is highly attuned to the world around him/her.

We do not see dragons in our everyday lives. Nobody has ever been inside a live volcano. Nobody has been alive for thousands of years. Therefore, ancient dragons sleeping in volcanoes are, by definition, completely fictional.

As Dragon is thousands of years old and has, according to the story, been sleeping in the volcano (encased in "the blood of the mother") for upwards of 1000 of those years, he is capable of sleeping in lava.

Don't forget, the dragons are the enemy in the story - not omniscient, omnipresent, immortal dieties of any sort.

Dieties? Lady Dragon was going back to her cave to prepare it for a new brood. I only did it at that specific time because I knew you were going to kill her off since she was too much of a sympathetic character to fit into the "evil dragons must all be killed" scenario. Believe me, Dragon doesn't care about the dwarfs trying to steal his purported loot. He's thousands of years old, he has more than one stash.

I've got other plans.

The story is called "When Dragons Rule". If Dragons can Rule, then they must have something going for them.

I get it, you want to usher in a new era of human rule... But the dragons will not go peacefully.

edit on 3/12/2012 by ottobot because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   
The entire story was ORIGINALLY started by me on Thuriaz's request. She was going to run both the dragons and the dragon lords - but - later put in this thread to get a new writer for a Dragon Lord.

You added your own dragon and Thuriaz main character (her dragon Megalith) bugged out as there's nothing left for her to do.

Your dragon killed NowanKenubi's Dragon Lord - King of Fjüllwald. Now, King of Fjüllwald was supposed to be a human (not half-dragon or draconian); but, we went along anyway. Yes, he had a wasting disease that could have killed him in three months (if he never summoned his courtly wizards and healers to find the cure ... etc.). But, when your dragon leveled the town so UN-REALISTICALLY - you killed off the other writer's (NowanKenubi's) main character too!

Originally, the story was about the dragons who were the "fear factor" - summonable by Dragon Lords. The Dragon Lords were to be the rulers (though the power behind the throne was the dragons).

How is that? Simple. If the dragons approve of the Dragon Lord, they do their bidding. If they disapprove, they forget or neglect to "strike fear" into the people the Dragon Lord sent them to 'punish' - OR - more cleverly, punish those the Dragon Lord didn't want hit - OR - reward the intended targets instead of punishing them with "fear" - OR - and so on ... you get the idea. As the instrument of "fear" - the Dragons are actually the rulers.

This isn't a replay of Dragon Rider's of Pern - nor the Dragonlance novels (which I've never read but hubby has and he says your material is like their stories.)

With Thuriaz gone (my ONE and ONLY reason for having started the thread) and your repeatedly, admitted attempts to derail the story and take it off track - I have no compelling reason to continue that DEAD story.

Perhaps I should top it off with some outrageous LORE that the commoners were all-knowing, all-seeing, all-powerful, lava swimming, lava sleeping, rock-melting, with the powers to instantly level a huge castle AND metropolis in a single breathe like you did for the dragons.

edit on 12/3/2012 by Trexter Ziam because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Considering this is supposed to be collaborative writing, I felt like I did a good job of incorporating other people's ideas into my own.

Clearly I should have asked you for a very detailed synopsis right off the bat.

And, no, I didn't purposefully "derail" the story, I just had a different set of ideas than you.

Why couldn't the Dragon-Lord have been off on a holiday at the beach for his health? Like I said after I wrote that part, I was thinking that not all royals &/or soldiers would be present in Hyde at the time of the massacre. I guess my mind and imagination are just that much different than yours.

I've never even heard of those book series, but will check them out.

That said: if you want total control of everything, I will bow out and you can do solo writing. I've got a few ideas on how to bring my characters back into your story arc, but I don't see a point if you're just going to be resentful and angry when I don't do it exactly how you see it in your mind.

Let me know if you want me to finish up my writing.

Otherwise, it's been an interesting experience, and I wish you well in your future writing endeavors.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Trexter Ziam
The entire story was ORIGINALLY started by me on Thuriaz's request. She was going to run both the dragons and the dragon lords - but - later put in this thread to get a new writer for a Dragon Lord.

You added your own dragon and Thuriaz main character (her dragon Megalith) bugged out as there's nothing left for her to do.

How was there nothing left for her to do? There are many dragons in this particular world - as both you and Thurisaz inferred in your writings. I sent her a message explaining my ideas and she didn't seem to have a problem with it.

If you all have a problem, you need to speak up about it! Seriously!

Not all of the dragons are exactly the same. I just happened to create an older generation of dragons who thought differently than the newer generation. I don't see the big deal? I don't get why you're trying to blame me for the fact that other people didn't write what they could have written... Clearly, it makes sense to you, though.

Again, if you want something a certain way - you need to say that you want something a certain way. I can't read your mind.

Your dragon killed NowanKenubi's Dragon Lord - King of Fjüllwald. Now, King of Fjüllwald was supposed to be a human (not half-dragon or draconian); but, we went along anyway. Yes, he had a wasting disease that could have killed him in three months (if he never summoned his courtly wizards and healers to find the cure ... etc.). But, when your dragon leveled the town so UN-REALISTICALLY - you killed off the other writer's (NowanKenubi's) main character too!

Again, NK can write whatever he wants to write. I didn't even realize that his character was still wasting away in Hyde - if you had simply brought that up in this thread instead of doing whatever PM grumbling you've apparently been doing with the other writers, I would have written an easy "out" for the Dragon Lord, where he wasn't even present.

As it was, I had been planning for the citizens of Lower City who'd moved into the Fist to "find" some hidden royals who took shelter in the deepest cold cellars under the kitchens. I just never got around to writing that in due to real life commitments and issues.

Originally, the story was about the dragons who were the "fear factor" - summonable by Dragon Lords. The Dragon Lords were to be the rulers (though the power behind the throne was the dragons).

How is that? Simple. If the dragons approve of the Dragon Lord, they do their bidding. If they disapprove, they forget or neglect to "strike fear" into the people the Dragon Lord sent them to 'punish' - OR - more cleverly, punish those the Dragon Lord didn't want hit - OR - reward the intended targets instead of punishing them with "fear" - OR - and so on ... you get the idea. As the instrument of "fear" - the Dragons are actually the rulers.

Ok, I get that, thank you for explaining.

This isn't a replay of Dragon Rider's of Pern - nor the Dragonlance novels (which I've never read but hubby has and he says your material is like their stories.)

Like I said, have never heard of these series, so do not understand the reference.

With Thuriaz gone (my ONE and ONLY reason for having started the thread) and your repeatedly, admitted attempts to derail the story and take it off track - I have no compelling reason to continue that DEAD story.

Perhaps I should top it off with some outrageous LORE that the commoners were all-knowing, all-seeing, all-powerful, lava swimming, lava sleeping, rock-melting, with the powers to instantly level a huge castle AND metropolis in a single breathe like you did for the dragons.

The Black Fist is made of Obsidian. You wrote this. The Black Fist is still standing. Dragon only killed its occupants. As I noted, it took hours for the city to be destroyed. Again, plenty of time for resourceful occupants to escape if they'd wanted to instead of curling up into fetal positions and vanishing into thin air as you've assumed every single one of them did.

I still don't understand where you are getting this "all-seeing,all-knowing, all-powerful" stuff from.

Thurisaz stated that the dragons were telepathic and spoke to the Dragon Lords using telepathy. I have demonstrated them to be telepathic only to Dragon Lords, folks of The Blood (who would also be Dragon Lords), and other dragons. Omniscience and Omnipotence never enter the story, other than in your interpretation of my writings.

Like I said, you clearly need control of everything to be comfortable with the story - you can write whatever you want to write.

I was writing this for entertainment purposes, I have no reason to be upset about it.

I've decided that I will finish up my characters, it's the least I can do for them.
edit on 3/13/2012 by ottobot because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   

edit on 3/13/2012 by ottobot because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join