It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hackers Plan Satellites To Block Internet Censorship

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kali74
I think it's a great idea but I can't see how they can pull it off. World governments control orbit so if they're determined to censor the net I don't think they will allow satellites to be used to circumvent them. The only solution we really have is to grow the fight against oppression.

This IS how we fight against oppression... make no bones about it... it is a war of technology... not of idealism.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 10:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Aliensun

I'm all for this move into space. First, since hackers have zero bank accounts living in the parents' basements as they do, they will need money, million and millions of dollars to design, build, launch and operate those wonderful new satellites that an offended government will prossibly and promptly shot down. But what the heck. I will donate 15 or maybe 17 millions pounds/dollars or what have you...euros(?) to get this project off the ground. where doI sign up?

Bad idea to make fun of hackers online.

You should switch to Linux if you plan to make a habit of that.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Very cool idea, but also not easy to accomplish.

Multiple satellites would be needed triangulate around the earth, and not just small satellites, but multimillion dollar satellites capable of handling the loads as well. Then, a A) place (launch friendly country) from which to launch, rockets to carry them and fuel. More than one rocket. Then, someway to put them into proper orbit so they'd function.

Granted, this could be done on a small scale for a select few, but to open the traffic to a large number of people is a different story. Then, we also have the server issue, and the means for the average person (without their own provider and hub) to connect to the network and access the net. Something like that, which most people do not have.

A LOT of money would need to be involved, and a large number of very wealthy individuals would have to invest in it for to effectively function. But it would be awesome if it happened.

ETA from the article:

"Low-Earth-orbit satellites, such as have been launched by amateurs so far, do not stay in a single place but rather orbit, typically every 90 minutes," Woodward said. "That's not to say they can't be used for communications, but obviously only for the relatively brief periods that they are in your view."

"It's difficult to see how such satellites could be used as a viable communications grid other than in bursts," he added.

Case in point.

Not to mention trigger happy countries with a military shooting down or disabling "rogue" satellites from a "rogue" group of people not recognized as a nation or having a military. Sitting duck with no capability of response and a crap ton of $$ blown up.

edit on 30-12-2011 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 11:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Liquesence

The ISS stays in (radio) line of site view for about 15 minutes depending on how high the elevation angle is. There are ipod aps and websites to calculate the next pass, how high and what azimuth.

ISS Site

There are also satellites carrying radios that are tracked in the same way. Not geosync...

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by kawika
reply to post by Liquesence

The ISS stays in (radio) line of site view for about 15 minutes depending on how high the elevation angle is. There are ipod aps and websites to calculate the next pass, how high and what azimuth.

ISS Site

There are also satellites carrying radios that are tracked in the same way. Not geosync...

What the heck good is 15 minutes of limited communication?

The point is getting "off the grid" and "permanently" yet independently connected to the network, or connected at one's own convenience, not coming and going in bursts when there is line of sight and not using the ISS or existing satellites (because that access would likely be intentionally blocked/prevented).

It's not about hijacking or using existing means but about creating an open alternative, which is expensive, not easy, and requires a lot of effort.

Please the quoted material in my original reply.

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 01:05 AM
link   
If this happens the US, NATO, or somebody will claim that its "illegal" and destroy it... and even if the makers go to court nothing will ever come of the lawsuit...

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 05:15 AM
link   
It would have to be in geostationary orbit to be of practical use, and more than one for worldwide coverage. If they did put one up it would be interesting to see what happens. No "law abiding" country would launch it. Who would they get to launch it?

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Well if you can get a bunch of people all over a populated area to give a little money and pledge to keep doing that for internet, maybe cheaper than charter and get 40,000 people to do it, they might could take a loan out on the satelite launch somehow I don't know. I think it would depend on how well people get the word out about internet cencorship. That's the main flaw I see we all have, it isn't our lack of knowledge though we could know more, it's our lack of say making fake facebook accounts and emailing 5 random people a day a canned long set of messages you write up that proves one or another conspiracy and gives links to the rest of it. I mean, how hard is that and it would change the fight against TPTB within 2 months if half of us did that.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Violence

Maybe this is an answer? www.smartplanet.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join