It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Federal Reserve's Covert Bailout of Europe

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   
i've been hearing and reading about how the u.s. is not at all involved with a bailout of europe.
i call b.s., just because the majority of the msm tells you no, we are not bailing out europe it does not make it so.
just like the excuse used to bailout the banks, europe is too big to fail.
i'm posting 2 interesting wall street journal articles.

When is a loan between central banks not a loan? When it is a dollars-for-euros currency swap.

BY GERALD P. O'DRISCOLL JR.
America's central bank, the Federal Reserve, is engaged in a bailout of European banks. Surprisingly, its operation is largely unnoticed here.

wsj article

lets also not forget the u.s.'s role in the imf.

Who's on the Hook for the IMF's Greek Bailout?

WASHINGTON—Some lawmakers and other commentators are arguing that the U.S. will be handed a big bill to rescue Greece from default because the U.S. is the International Monetary Fund's largest shareholder.
But as with much concerning the IMF, an international financial institution based in Washington D.C., it isn't that clear-cut.

"It is simply unfair—as a matter of principle—to force American taxpayers to use their hard-earned money to prop up failed policies in relatively wealthy nations," wrote Rep. Todd Tiahrt, a Kansas Republican, opposing any U.S. participation in a Greek bailout.

But the U.S. participation in the €110 billion ($145 billion) loan to Greece is relatively modest compared with the huge commitment by Greece's fellow euro-zone governments, and their taxpayers. Those 15 nations are in various stages of approving a total of $106 billion, divided according to their stake in the European Central Bank. Germany would loan $29 billion, followed by France with $22 billion.

The U.S. role comes from its obligations to the IMF, which is lending an additional $39 billion as part of the Greek package. The U.S. pays roughly in proportion to its stake in the IMF, as do other countries, if the IMF's board votes to approve the package on Sunday, as expected.

wsj article

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Of course. of course we're the biggest shareholders of the IMF. this sh!t is nuts, it's so unsustainable it's unbelievable we got to this point in the first place. it's just reckless as all hell.

critical mass is upon us.

exactly what percentage of shares does the US own of the IMF, i wonder?

Edit: 17% USA: 17.1%, Japan: 6.1%, Germany: 6%.

edit on 12/29/11 by metalshredmetal because: sp

edit on 12/29/11 by metalshredmetal because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   
How did they do it covertly?
Im pretty sure i hear about the FED bailing out the EU a month or two ago, or they were working on it. Apparently its quite a pretty penny too

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   
You didnt think the U.S. could have 200 years of allowing everyone who wanted to come, in, and those coming would eventually attempt to send money back to the land they came from? Some people hold allegancies to their roots, some to their family, some to a group.. Everyone holds it somewhere.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   
I for one am not surprised by this. I have felt all along the Fed would be involved. It's all a game which will lead to a world wide financial crisis which will have the US declaring a state of emergency and our rights as citizens of the USA will be suspended indefinitely. Watch as it unfolds most likely in the coming year. The bankers are more and more anxious to flood the world with debt which is how they keep control of the 'little people'.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by AzureSky
How did they do it covertly?
Im pretty sure i hear about the FED bailing out the EU a month or two ago, or they were working on it. Apparently its quite a pretty penny too

your source may have been here at ats or the alternative media.
generally speaking, the msm is reporting no bailout from us.

Geithner: Fed not looking to boost IMF bailout fund - The Hill's On ...thehill.com/.../197535-geithner-fed-not-looking-to-boost-imf-bailout...Cached

Geithner: Fed Will Not Contribute to IMF-Led Bailout - Yahoo! Financefinance.yahoo.com/.../geithner-fed-not-contribute-imf-180054856.ht...Cached

BERNANKE: We're Not Going To Bail Out Europe Or Devote More ...www.businessinsider.com/bernanke-no-europe-bailout-no-more-mon...Cached

that's just a few from google.
no doubtthe average joe on ats digs a bit deeper than the average joe citizen.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Why are the Fed and the ECB doing this? The Fed could, after all, lend directly to U.S. branches of foreign banks. It did a great deal of lending to foreign banks under various special credit facilities in the aftermath of Lehman's collapse in the fall of 2008. Or, the ECB could lend euros to banks and they could purchase dollars in foreign-exchange markets. The world is, after all, awash in dollars.

The two central banks are engaging in this roundabout procedure because each needs a fig leaf. The Fed was embarrassed by the revelations of its prior largess with foreign banks. It does not want the debt of foreign banks on its books.”

Some quotes from around the net on the subject,

There are $707 trillion in unregulated derivatives. The Fed has no choice but to bail out European banks as every US major bank has large derivative exposure to European banks.

$1 trillion may not be enough though - not for long anyway.

The Fed has lost its ability to support politicians. A new year is around the corner. God damn Mayans.

So let me understand this...The FED will print a large some of monopoly money and give it to their European gang members at the ECB, so that they can then hand it out to the fools that run the in debt Euro nations. They will then in turn spend it like drunken sailors until it is gone in say..... a year? Maybe? Then what? Oh yeah that's right now I remember! Then all of us tax payers can bend over and take it in the ass. Hope they provide us all with the local rape crises 800 number so we have someone to talk to after this happens.

2012.......... get the beer and popcorn in ........and pull up a comfy chair ONE hell of a ride is to commence.

2012 ATS was made for this
do you guys have a back-up emergency fibre optic internet generator

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Droidinvoid

A new year is around the corner. God damn Mayans.

2012.......... get the beer and popcorn in ........and pull up a comfy chair ONE hell of a ride is to commence.

2012 ATS was made for this
do you guys have a back-up emergency fibre optic internet generator

i LOLed at the Mayans comment. haha, I couldn't agree with you more...

the 2012 myth is really coming into fruition

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Does it really even matter anymore?

Dollars printed and spent................

I just have to take care of my family.......

LJ01 out.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 02:36 AM
link   
reply to post by rubbertramp

I don't know if I am really, really smart/psychic or just perpetually ahead of the curve slightly..... I could say I told you so, but I already did that once today in this forum....

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by korathin

i'm not at all surprised by any of this.
like i said already, europe is too big to fail.
they just needed a way to do it that wouldn't draw much attention.
little did they know, we'd discuss it here.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 01:23 PM
link   
OP you should add this video to your original post.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   
The thing that gets me about this whole #storm is the way the FED goes about creating its money. If I'm not mistaken, the FED gets the okay to print money (put numbers in a computer) from the treasury dept. But this money cannot just be printed, it has to be backed by US bonds. Where do these bonds get sold? Countries like France, Germany, Italy. But wait.... aren't those countries also supplying the IMF with some bailout funds? Yes, and they have the same process of printing money, selling bonds and punching in numbers to the world bank computers. Those bonds are sold to America, Germany, Italy, France. So in the end we have money without anything backing it. AKA 100% inflated money.

top topics

join