It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Facts About GMO's - We Are Contaminating Our Planet!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by xecoybh
AP wire yesterday, quoting a few scientists and 'Center for Science and Public Policy'.

Bugs may be resistant to genetically modified corn
RICK CALLAHAN, Associated Press

www.seattlepi.com/news/article/Farming-practices-threaten-widely-grown-corn-crop-2429107.php

One of the nation's most widely planted crops — a genetically engineered corn plant that makes its own insecticide — may be losing its effectiveness because a major pest appears to be developing resistance more quickly than scientists expected.

The U.S. food supply is not in any immediate danger because the problem remains isolated. But scientists fear potentially risky farming practices could be blunting the hybrid's sophisticated weaponry.

When it was introduced in 2003, so-called Bt corn seemed like the answer to farmers' dreams: It would allow growers to bring in bountiful harvests using fewer chemicals because the corn naturally produces a toxin that poisons western corn rootworms. The hybrid was such a swift success that it and similar varieties now account for 65 percent of all U.S. corn acres — grain that ends up in thousands of everyday foods such as cereal, sweeteners and cooking oil.

(...)

I wish I could give You a hundred stars for this! Yeah. We need toxic corn on this planet.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   
I oppose the GMOs completely
But what are we going to do about it?Go to a head office and protest?And risk being accused of being terrorists?What legal process can we go through to STOP GMOs?Who do we complain to that will ACTUALLY FIX THIS?feels quite hopeless to me..the corruption has already spiraled out of control,we are already in the tailspin towards the ground.I honestly am at my wit's end with a solution...Just gotta hope for the best and contribute when needed.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by rubbertramp
like many other subjects, sometimes there is power in a boycott.
if people refused to purchase any gmo products they would not be able to get away with this.
but the general rule is that people don't even look into whether or not their food is gmo.
i mosly shop at trader joes, which promises all products are gmo free.
as long as there is a market for these products, the industry will expand and take over.

People can't easily look into whether their foods are GMO because labeling is not permitted.

Oh. And Trader Joe's and Whole Foods? They have foods contaminated with GMOs.

Link: unaskedadvice.wordpress.com...

The lie that has been used to sell the world on the benefits of GM crops is that production will be enhanced. Actually, this has not been proven to be the case. What we see are super weeds, resistant diseases, and collateral damage to non-GM crops due to the cross pollination.

Another thing. The "Roundup Ready" crops are supposed to resist the spraying of this herbicide so they don't have weed control problems. Roundup is supposed to dissipate in soils. It doesn't. And it not only messes with the plant's ability to use minerals in the soil (that is how it kills weeds), it also messes with soil bacteria's ability to live. It also bio-accumulates in the food (especially the seed) of the food crop. We then eat it. It has been shown to be toxic to humans and animals as well. There are dairy herds that now have crippling abortion and infertility rates that is linked to the feeding of this crap. Think what it does to us.

Do not trust factory foods. If you buy organic, by law they are not to contain GMOs. But our food supply is so screwed now, that it's almost impossible to avoid them. Europe has resisted. America has been made into a huge, horrible experiment.

FDA and USDA is corrupt.

And now, we have an unnamed, and deadly new micro-organism that is GM.

If you want an in depth report on the damage being done to us all, this is an excellent place to start:
www.dailypaul.com...
edit on 29-12-2011 by JustSlowlyBackAway because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-12-2011 by JustSlowlyBackAway because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArtOfTrance
I oppose the GMOs completely
But what are we going to do about it?Go to a head office and protest?And risk being accused of being terrorists?What legal process can we go through to STOP GMOs?Who do we complain to that will ACTUALLY FIX THIS?feels quite hopeless to me..the corruption has already spiraled out of control,we are already in the tailspin towards the ground.I honestly am at my wit's end with a solution...Just gotta hope for the best and contribute when needed.

Boycott GMO's, save heirloom seed, plant Our own, and spread information about the evils of GMO.

That would go a long way...

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by JustSlowlyBackAway

if people refused to purchase any gmo products they would not be able to get away with this.
but the general rule is that people don't even look into whether or not their food is gmo.
as long as there is a market for these products, the industry will expand and take over.

People can't easily look into whether their foods are GMO because labeling is not permitted.

Oh. And Trader Joe's and Whole Foods? They have foods contaminated with GMOs.

Link: unaskedadvice.wordpress.com...

The lie that has been used to sell the world on the benefits of GM crops is that production will be enhanced. Actually, this has not been proven to be the case. What we see are super weeds, resistant diseases, and collateral damage to non-GM crops due to the cross pollination.

Another thing. The "Roundup Ready" crops are supposed to resist the spraying of this herbicide so they don't have weed control problems. Roundup is supposed to dissipate in soils. It doesn't. And it not only messes with the plant's ability to use minerals in the soil (that is how it kills weeds), it also messes with soil bacteria's ability to live. It also bio-accumulates in the food (especially the seed) of the food crop. We then eat it. It has been shown to be toxic to humans and animals as well. There are dairy herds that now have crippling abortion and infertility rates that is linked to the feeding of this crap. Think what it does to us.

Do not trust factory foods. If you buy organic, by law they are not to contain GMOs. But our food supply is so screwed now, that it's almost impossible to avoid them. Europe has resisted. America has been made into a huge, horrible experiment.

FDA and USDA is corrupt.

And now, we have an unnamed, and deadly new micro-organism that is GM.

If you want an in depth report on the damage being done to us all, this is an excellent place to start:
www.dailypaul.com...

Thank You for this assessment. I still contend that if it's labeled "organic" and "non-GMO," the chances are MUCH higher that One is getting GMO-free food. Even at TJ's, I won't buy it without those assurances.

Also, thanks for the links!

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 11:05 PM
link   

The idea of a boycott is great in theory, practicle applications make it so much harder, when your average family struggle to feed the family, they look for the cheapest options which are not always the healthiest options and of course they will be GMO, I work in a supermarket and I see those who have money buying the healthier options, but the supermarket I work in is also where low income people shop, and they get the no name brands which have twice as many preservatives and additives not to mention the GMO they are also contaminated with.

What makes it even sadder is those who buy the healthier options will also have pepsi max or coke zero in their shopping unaware of the aspartme they are ingesting.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 06:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by munkey66

The idea of a boycott is great in theory, practicle applications make it so much harder, when your average family struggle to feed the family, they look for the cheapest options which are not always the healthiest options and of course they will be GMO, I work in a supermarket and I see those who have money buying the healthier options, but the supermarket I work in is also where low income people shop, and they get the no name brands which have twice as many preservatives and additives not to mention the GMO they are also contaminated with.

What makes it even sadder is those who buy the healthier options will also have pepsi max or coke zero in their shopping unaware of the aspartme they are ingesting.

I do not drink soda, nor do I knowingly buy GMO. I have zero income and only food stamps to keep Me alive. I go hungry, as I have said, rather than eat GMO...

Seriously, I find ways of avoiding the bulk of GMO and still manage My FS to last Me all month. I say it IS possible to shop healthy and smart - unprocessed foods may take more time to prepare, but they are cheaper (by FAR) than the processed crap They sell as "food." They also tend to be GMO-free.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Amaterasu

Originally posted by munkey66

I do not drink soda, nor do I knowingly buy GMO. I have zero income and only food stamps to keep Me alive. I go hungry, as I have said, rather than eat GMO...

Seriously, I find ways of avoiding the bulk of GMO and still manage My FS to last Me all month. I say it IS possible to shop healthy and smart - unprocessed foods may take more time to prepare, but they are cheaper (by FAR) than the processed crap They sell as "food." They also tend to be GMO-free.

I'm pretty passionate about this topic. And star to you for figuring out how to manage on very little.

What might not be obvious is how dirty, compromised, and dangerous our food supply has become. While we were sleeping, it has been overwhelmed with foods that are modified, preserved, sprayed with poisons, laden with neurotoxins, and generally processed into oblivion. We think because it looks nice, it must be okay.

People, even those in the know, have a very tough time avoiding foods that are harmful.

Every step you make toward eliminating the dangerous stuff is a good one. But in order to find clean food all the time, you almost need to grow it yourself or live near an organic farmer.

Did you know potato farmers often grow a patch for their family's use separate from the pesticide-drenched fields they grow their marketable produce in?

So, on top of GMOs, you have poisons, MSG, Aspartame, trans-fats, preservatives, etc. How did we allow our food and water supplies to get so compromised?

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by JustSlowlyBackAway
I'm pretty passionate about this topic. And star to you for figuring out how to manage on very little.

What might not be obvious is how dirty, compromised, and dangerous our food supply has become. While we were sleeping, it has been overwhelmed with foods that are modified, preserved, sprayed with poisons, laden with neurotoxins, and generally processed into oblivion. We think because it looks nice, it must be okay.

People, even those in the know, have a very tough time avoiding foods that are harmful.

Every step you make toward eliminating the dangerous stuff is a good one. But in order to find clean food all the time, you almost need to grow it yourself or live near an organic farmer.

Did you know potato farmers often grow a patch for their family's use separate from the pesticide-drenched fields they grow their marketable produce in?

So, on top of GMOs, you have poisons, MSG, Aspartame, trans-fats, preservatives, etc. How did we allow our food and water supplies to get so compromised?

It does not surprise Me that farmers produce Their own food free of the Monsanto, et al, evils. I do know that the employee cafeteria at one Monsanto facility serves organic food - no One there eats the creppola They are forcing into the general food supply. This should be VERY telling.

Thank You for Your response and the information You provided.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Here's a disturbing article...:

www.organicconsumers.org...

Martek Biosciences claims that its Life'sDHA and Life'sARA are non-GMO (see below), but their patents reveal that their DHA and ARA are produced through the use of genetic engineering.

Hundreds of grocery items, including many certified "USDA Organic" infant formulas, baby foods and dairy products, contain Life'sDHA and Life'sARA.

Here's the evidence, from Martek's patents, that they are GMO.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Amaterasu

Interesting.
.....All these guys are running around tinkering with genes, creating synthetic molecules, changing proteins and other molecules' structures - and telling us that well, they're different, so they won't affect existent life. Duh. FAMOUS LAST WORDS.

Mirror molecules aren’t tuned to our biochemistry. That’s why the 1960s controversy over the antinausea drug thalidomide was such a surprise [tsk] — the right-handed version calmed morning sickness in pregnant women, but the left-handed version caused birth defects. Usually, though, the mirror image of biological molecules are weaker or have no effect. They can’t shake hands with our proteins.

Think infectious proteins, aka prions - and recognize that folding affects function in carbohydrates and fats too - which explains why chronic disease has gone pandemic in the past couple of decades.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

Brilliant post, soficrow.

Yes... I know that I can eat sugar just fine, but even small amounts of Sucralose (received in a store sample, say - I now read ingredients before sampling) give Me stomach cramps and sweats.

Yeah. No harm. Heh.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Genetically Modified Food is dangerous. I know because not only did I grow up eating it, I also was exposed to harmful improperly mixed pesticides that the GMO food was created to defend against. In true Permaculture fashion, I am going to talk of solutions rather than problems to this blight upon the world.

But first a little info:

GMO plants are "dead" plants. They have the propagation aspect (the part where the plant goes to seed) of a zombie. These plants are benign, dead.
The majority of our food grown in the US is grown from annual seed, and if most of this seed is GMO, then that means that there is no pollination occuring (therefore the bees die, because the plants aren't real), and if the annual seed doesn't go to seed after it has fruited, then that means the farmer has to go out and buy more seed from a GMO corporation because the USDA and the FDA regulates WHERE these mass monocroppers can buy seed.

Solutions to this:
1. Remove all agriculture from Wall Street.
2. Get the government out of our food.
3. Stop buying at big box stores and start growing your own food.
4. Call the USDA and inform them that you no longer wish to eat GMO based food.
5. Contact the FDA and do the same
6. PERMACULTURE, live and grow WITH the land. And HAVE FUN doing it!

As long as our government and private corporations profit off of our illnesses from the ingestion of this food, we will not be free.

Take your lives into your own hands, grow your own crops, raise your own livestock.
You will be amazed how much money you save once the return starts to occur.
Cities are a little different, not everyone can be a land owner or live in rural areas (which are becoming less populated, BTW due to lack of employment), but if one can get over the pleasures of comfort that society has deemed necessary, one can be free to feed themselves as well as feed others for next to nothing.

@glovurm
Oh and here's a little radio show out of Denver that turned me on to what I consider to be the truth regarding GMO food.

glovurm.4shared.com

GET UP AND GROW!

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 08:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Amaterasu

Woohoo great news enough signatures have been gathered in California to get GMO labelling on the ballot for Nov 2012 election !!!! If CA labels then chances are we will have GMO labels in most of the rest of the USA...

Monsanto is going to come out fighting ....

www.labelgmos.org...

top topics

<< 1   >>

join