It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christmas Eve family chat about Ron Paul.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 10:05 PM
link   
My family does Christmas on the 24th so I decided (tonight) to speak up a little about the coming elections. I found some very interesting details about how my family feels about the elections and government in general.

Lets start with my mother. Not only did she not know who Ron Paul was but after saying he was a republican candidate she instantly said, "I'm voting for Obama". As an inquisitive son I asked "why"? I'll just list them fast.

He ended the wars.
He is cutting thru the red tape of our government and getting things done.
He is helping the people in need and making the well off's pay their dues.

Then I gave her some facts. Debt up 150%, economy still in the outhouse and there is no plan for the future.

She told me you can't blame him for stepping into a bad situation. To some extent, I agree, not wholeheartedly tho.

So I asked her where she gets her information from. Cable.

My mother, bless her soul, is a very wonderful woman. Very intelligent and very stubborn. Lets move on.

The rest of my family were split. 35 and under have heard of Ron Paul and are planning on voting for him. 36 and older were, "who's that"?

My youngest cousins were very enthusiastic about him (18 to 22 age range). They knew his idea's and agreed with them. Middle of the young age group (22 to 30) have heard of him but didn't know the details of how anything actually worked. They don't teach how to vote in school. Had questions like, when is our primary, how do I register ect. The 30 to 35 range thought the president is just a puppet and only in place as a figurehead. I'm in that range and I do think the president is a puppet. If you play nice you get to stay in the nice house for 8 years.

Everyone over 35 had no clue. I heard mentions of Perry's mistake... "I'd get rid of the dept of energy, the dept of education and and and the other one". I heard all the details of Cain's mistresses. Someone even mentioned they heard Newt's story of how he left a wife because she got cancer.

All in all, after tonight I realized one truth. What they are doing is working.

I'll tell you what I told them, turn off the TV and do research on your own. This internet thing is really the ticket for actual information. Use the TV for entertainment and actually realize that's all it is.

This is our future. We have the tools at our disposal to make the right decision whatever it may be.

Happy holidays everyone.

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Sounds like a typical American family dude...good luck with that.

My family was trying to figure out how to make some money before it was too late...and to spend it immediately on some of what we call, "no matter whats"...just in case we need them...

My Mom bit the anti-Paul, "foreign policy" bait but if I didn't turn her around she's more crafty than I give her credit.

Merry Christmas! It's gonna be a gear year...
edit on 24/12/11 by TreadUpon because: (no reason given)

edit on 24/12/11 by TreadUpon because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   
reply to post by TreadUpon

Sad really, I'm 100% positive my family is 100% typical. Only thing you can do is talk to them and get them thinking.

Oh, what are you buying? lol.

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by litterbaux
reply to post by TreadUpon

Sad really, I'm 100% positive my family is 100% typical.

That raises an interesting question; does the typical family include a paranoid, conspiracy believing nut-job like you and I or are our families different in that respect?

Hopefully we're more numerous than we think and we can help to wake up more members of our families. At least enough to make a difference in the next election, I hope.

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 10:30 PM
link   
The only way to get the word out to older voters who do not use the internet often, is word of mouth. I`ve spoken to some of my friends and relatives, and like you said they either never heard of him or knew only what MSM told them. I urge any Ron Paul supporters to talk to your friends and family! Don`t be shy.

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 10:31 PM
link   
I'm sure the holiday family conversations aren't like those in Iowa and New Hampshire right now where Ron Paul's campaign and grassroots efforts are overcoming/circumventing the MSM.

If he can win Iowa and New Hampshire they'll still try to hide him but they still have to report the winner, imagine the dinner table politics conversations then.

But OP makes a great point, if you guys take a look at the demographics in surveys, the popularity of Ron Paul often goes down as the ages get higher from as much as 50% with the youngest age to as low as 6% with the highest age. Yes, it definitely has a lot to do with the ability to search for and receive alternative news on the internet.

What I find is that the people who support Ron Paul most are the ones that have looked him up themselves. The others who might not be potential voters or are already potential voters may or may not have the seeds planted but that is only all it takes. People aren't stupid if given the proper information to make decisions with.

We can win this.

Thanks for sharing, litterBAUX

edit on 24-12-2011 by eLPresidente because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

If my opinion means anything, I can vouch for the "one-conspiracy-theorist-per-american-household" argument.

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by litterbaux

No physical fights?
No one crying?
No cops called for domestic disturbance?

You are obviously not doing this right!
Let me help...

Step 1: Spike the eggnog with rum.
Step 2: Tell your aunt that scientists have determined that eggnog is healthy for you.
Step 3: Repeat Steps 1&2 with ALL your in-laws.
Step 4: Say something real bad about Regan and then Obama.
Step 5: Announce you're a liberal and you support Ron Paul.
Step 6: Grab the rest of the eggnog, sit back and enjoy!

That's how it's supposed to be at Christmas!
Right!?!?

Nevermind....
Is your family adopting?

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Me and my boyfriends mom where talking the other day and i asked if she planned on voting, i then gave her a brief summary of Ron Paul's ideals. And then told her to check out his website where she could get more info, ya know what she said..

"Oh, i was gonna vote for Mitt Romney because he's Mormon"

*facepalm

top topics

join