It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BBC Out Of This World Program (1977) Re:Staffordshire 1954 Sighting

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+9 more 
posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 05:05 AM
link   

In this segment of a 1970s BBC documentary, Jessie Roestenburg recalls a day in the late '50s when she and her kids saw a flying saucer. The object allegedly materialised above her house and the two occupants became clearly visible to them. She describes them in the same way many of the '50s Contactees did. They were 'beautiful' and 'angelic' with 'blond/e hair' and high foreheads.

One thing comes over in the way she talks and that (to me) is sincerity; she appears to believe that what she says is what happened.

The news clipping is available, in full size at John Hanson's cool blog...Haunted Skies I found the video posted at Mike Clelland's Hidden Experience blog.

Back in the '50s and '60s there were quite a lot of reports that shared this weird feature of the occupants being visible through tilting the craft. Witnesses described instrument panels that were straight out of Buck Rogers...big gear sticks and levers. Although this particular case involves what some would call the 'Nordics,' many others involved a variety of critters in many shapes and sizes...none of them little or green.

The idea seems counter-intuitive and unrealistic (even more than aliens and 'folk from Elsewhere!?') and yet that's what they described. Folk can take the obvious route and opt for a long line of hoaxers. It's foolish to rule out such a possibility although I also think it unreasonable to assume that they were *all* hoaxers. Middle-aged women seem an unlikely age-group for bizarre stories, but who knows? Maybe they had a standing seizure that was felt by other witnesses too? This alone would warrant study although we can never rule out the psychological origins of these reported incidents.

The interesting thing, as far as these stories go, is the sense that something unusual seems to present itself to the witnesses in an apparent display. What motive would that possibly be? The origins for this display could be from the percipients' minds, some exotic technology or something we just can't understand for now.

Bruce Duensing has the intriguing idea that there's a 'third-world' life-form that lives unseen in the skies and when it interacts with us, uses the sub-conscious of the witness to reflect back something they can comprehend. He suggests that it's a form of camouflage...Living Enigma in the Atmosphere Critters! Jung and others have considered a 'psychic' connection whereby folk are minding their own business and are suddenly confronted with some aspect of an unhappy society. In that view, they presuppose that the 'projections' of our unconscious can be seen by several people simultaneously due to people's thought associations following similar lines.

If this were the case, Roestenberg's kids must have been experiencing post-War anxiety and projected an hallucinatory saucer that she heard 'sizzle' into existence and then went and looked at it. As explanations go, it doesn't really do much for me.

A conventional ETH view doesn't work either. Nuts and bolts aircraft being piloted by dozens of different species who rarely fit the same description twice is a tough one to swallow. It's frequently said that the technology of a super-advanced civilisation would seem to us as magic. If this was the case, the experience of seeing something could be a projection of an unknown technology rather than the projections of our minds. Perhaps, the display is to keep our material senses occupied whilst the *whatever* is interacting with our subconscious senses? In that way, it would be like the magician flapping their hands around whilst the *magic* happened under our noses.

People have been speculating for decades and there's no sign of which (if any) explanations are the *rightest* or closest to the mark. The *never happened* or *hoax* explanations are way too reductionist for me, but the others can be too magical or complicated. I'll sit on the fence plucking the splinters from my ass.

Whatever did, or didn't, happen, Roestenburg went on with her life in the same way all the others probably did. They didn't become celebrities, weren't missionaries for planetary peace and slipped back to their quiet lives and the ridicule that awaited them.
edit on 24-12-2011 by Kandinsky because: sloppy spellings and missing words

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 05:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Kandinsky

A genuine and reliable testimony of that event.

Thx for this. S&F.

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 05:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Arken

You're welcome....and Merry Christmas Arken.

Good will to all men and no hard feelings.

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 05:32 AM
link   

Hi Kandinsky , .
I remember seeing this a few years ago and being struck by the description given by the witness , I am not aware of any other descriptions of blond Nordic-type aliens from that time , maybe I'm wrong but it added an air of credibility to the story .
The witness herself also seems to believe what she is saying , it would of been nice to have back up of the story from her children as to what they saw but even without its an interesting case

Merry Christmas

Edit
Or maybe its not that unusual

During the 1950s, many contactees, especially those in Europe, reported beings fitting this description. Such claims became relatively less common in subsequent decades, as the grey alien supplanted the Nordic in most stories of extraterrestrial encounters, but Nordic aliens are still occasionally reported.[3] Some sources, such as UFO Contact Center International, refer to Nordic-type aliens as Pleiadians.[4]
en.wikipedia.org...

Still like the case though

edit on 24-12-2011 by gortex because: Edit to add

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 05:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kandinsky
reply to post by Arken

You're welcome....and Merry Christmas Arken.

Good will to all men and no hard feelings.

Merry Christmas to you too Kandinsky

Sometimes we are on opposite side. But you know that I respect you opinion.

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 05:50 AM
link   
reply to post by gortex

I remember seeing this a few years ago and being struck by the description given by the witness , I am not aware of any other descriptions of blond Nordic-type aliens from that time , maybe I'm wrong but it added an air of credibility to the story .

The blond/e guys were definitely out and about in the media in the '50s with Adamski's blond-haired Orthon being debated in Europe and the States. I'm happy to rule him out as a proven hoaxer although this lady's account does sound sincere. She apparently didn't seek publicity and didn't bring any messages like the typical Contactees did. These random, suburban/ rural encounters seem more believable than the Contactees' big stories, conventions and book releases.

The witness herself also seems to believe what she is saying , it would of been nice to have back up of the story from her children as to what they saw but even without its an interesting case

A back-up from the kids would be great and I've looked to find any without success. These guys would be in their 60s and 70s by now. Given the ridicule their mum spoke of it's possible they kept to themselves and got on with their lives. I've found an old picture of the farm whilst looking for the names in Ranton, Stafford.

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 05:53 AM
link   

Very interesting! I love these older reports from the 50's and 60's. They seem to have a genuineness about them which isn't replicated these days. It is hard to believe a 50's housewife would have any reason to fabricate such a story?

I've always been intrigued by the nature of the craft and how their appearance changes as our perception of what is superior or 'sci fi' changes over time. For instance you mention in the 50's witnesses observed switches and levers straight out of buck rogers, whereas in more modern reports witnesses report minimalist, flat, touch control surfaces and flat or projected screens/holograms.

It also seems that as time has gone on and our technology has progressed that UFO's/flying saucers have gotten better engines. In the 50's 1000mph would outpace almost if not all aircraft of the time but now we have supersonic aircraft UFO's have paced up to 10000mph or more. Always one step ahead.

This goes back further. I take the airship wave of the 1800's as an example. Before powered flight such things would have looked like they were straight out of a Jules Verne novel. Futuristic for the time.

I believe this aspect of UFO's may betray some kind of psychological aspect to the phenomena. It seems, especially when looking at earlier reports, that someone/something is playing a game. Who that is I dont know? Perhaps as you say it is a manifest of our own sub-conscious. Whatever it is it makes for interesting reading!

S&F, good thread!
edit on 24/12/2011 by Grifter81 because: spelling duh

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 05:54 AM
link   

That's nice. Christmas and a Kandinsky thread.
Well, it seems this day will be better than expected

I wish you a happy Christmas and some restful days.
Thanks for a very interesting read.
edit on 24-12-2011 by derpif because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 07:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Grifter81

I believe this aspect of UFO's may betray some kind of psychological aspect to the phenomena. It seems, especially when looking at earlier reports, that someone/something is playing a game. Who that is I dont know? Perhaps as you say it is a manifest of our own sub-conscious. Whatever it is it makes for interesting reading!

This is about the extent to where we can go with the information, I guess. The psychological aspect is probably the area that's least speculative. Whether the subconscious can cause different people to see something unusual simultaneously is an area I'm interested in. In a recent thread, I posted about multiple-witness reports of apparitions and had similar thoughts about the role of consciousness in all these alleged sightings.

The saucer-sightings aren't related, in my opinion, but who can really say? We've seen apparitions for centuries and the occupant-sightings seem to have made a splash for 25-30 years and faded away in the mid-'70s. At the same time however, they both involve people seeing something that *might* not be there in a physical sense. A hung jury?

reply to post by derpif

And the same to you too Derpif. Have a good Christmas.

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 07:45 AM
link   
S+F..

Thanks for giving us something decent to read in this section, much appreciated!

Merry Christmas!

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 08:02 AM
link   
given i've lived in staffordshire for more than 40 years and never seen anything more unexplainable than the stoke city councils ability to mess up everything they touch but my mum remembers seeing in the 1970's a cigar shapped object hovering overhead inbetween the michelin factory and the old victoria football ground and it wasn't a blimp and not long after that she walked home from the michelin factory and got followed by a frog across several main roads and it stayed outside the house for a while so perhaps some of the aliens are frogs or using them as cameras

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Buried in black font on a black background (?!) at John Hanson and Dawn Holloway's Haunted Skies blog are these extra details...

She was at it again a couple years later and with other witnesses

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 10:00 AM
link   

the clockwork elves projecting back the reasons for their manifestation?

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Her eyes dont drift much to the right when asked to recall.
www.humanliedetection.com...

However this chap also from a few decades ago sounds plausible but his eyes keep drift to the right when asked to recall.

Perhaps she is telling her truth? I wonder if her children are available to corroborate her story?

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Didn't travis walton describe something very similar? Blond haired people with fishbowls on their head?

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 08:32 PM
link   
S&F bud.

I love that case. Thanks for posting it.

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Headeraser

He described the typical Greys.

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Nice thread I've never heard of this case before.

I'm a believer but something that throws me off about old ufo stories is that the designs of the craft and styles of the aliens are described as being of that time. Like the aliens go by what is in fashion on planet earth.

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 02:02 AM
link   
Wow, that first case is most impressive! She seems like the real deal. I have always wondered about the Nordic type's, they seem more plausible than your average little green man or grey for that matter. I just can't get my head around the fact that all "Supposed" eveidence is always of little grey beings walking behind buildings quickly or disapearing out of view in just the same manner. Plus, I can never get my head around how they would engineer craft like this with thin flimsey looking fingers! They don't appear to have much physical strength? The whole concept of Strong human looking people is much more convincing don't you think? Or is that just me?

Anyway, thanks for the post!

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 02:12 AM
link   
There has been running a program of such complexity of disinformation with people running it with skill levels that rival even the brightest of us that it boggles the mind.

I have known for many years that specific people were chosen with nothing to gain and appear to have no real reason to lie about something....to be trained to do just that....with a reward that was not necessarily monetary but...a brother or cousin in trouble with the law....a Husband who needs a few more hands to work the fields....a illegal boarder crosser with relatives who are in the U.S....suddenly being allowed in.

You folks have no idea of the complexity and genius of this design. Split Infinity

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join