It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Any telescope guru's here ?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 05:17 AM
link   
Good day my fellow ATS members,

Im wanting to buy a telescope to buy for myself and the kids to educate ourselves on the celestrial level.
Ive heard there are different types, even ones that see upside down. Im not after anything too technical at first, just something decent enough to see neighbouring bodies and easy to use.

any recommendations ?

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 06:32 AM
link   
reply to post by scubagravy

Do hope that was a typo and you really meant celestial bodies and NOT 'neighbouring

bodies'
peeping Tom ?

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 07:05 AM
link   
yes, a reflecter is best for the money.....most available is a 4 1/2 inch....or so.....
One can build a scope from Ebay parts....it's fun, a cardboard tube does it,.
I made a 6 inch, but an 8 inch is the one to go for.
the mirror for a bigger 8 inch runs 80 dollars
....don't buy the 6 inch ones on ebay....they are lying about the power....claims he just gets them from a vender....focal length times diameter is all the "f" number means

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 07:24 AM
link   
Op....your asking the right question in the wrong place. While the guy above me here no doubt knows his ass from a hole in the ground, he has no idea how to answer your question because he lacks perspective.

I am a real long time amateur astronomer that knows a thing or two about picking the right equipment for various purposes. Commit to spending just under $500 and u2u me.

I host a monthly viewing party that attracts many local parents and their kids. I know what you want.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 07:30 AM
link   
Dobsonian 8", 6" is good too but might as well put extra 75 bucks and a bit better one.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   

I first have to ask you the MOST important question first, before offering suggestions. I'm an amateur myself......

What is your budget?

There. That's the most important thing to consider.

You can buy a cheap 2 inch refractor for 20usd, with crappy optics, that will get you a decent picture of moon craters. Once you see the moon up close, you'll want bigger and better!

Be warned, it's an expensive hobby. Tell us what you want to spend, and we'll point you to what you'll be able to see.

Ready to start learning about the heavens above?

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 09:21 AM
link   
i've had my eye on a celestron travelscope.
great for begginers and takes up little room.
reasonable price.
ill look up the price and specs and edit soon.

Celestron travelscope 70 £61
Amazon, Celestron Travelscope 70

this is the one i want to get to take camping and get away from this damn light pollution.
edit on 21/12/2011 by listerofsmeg because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   
I have a 6in reflecting. I wanted to save money and not go for the 8in. boy was I wrong. The 6in is ok but if you’re going to get a telescope you might as well get a good one. 8in will do you well. I wish i would have gotten the 8in

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by eletheia

LOL, not my fault you keep your curtains wide open for all to see
Got any info for me ?? haha

Btw, you should get that mole checked thats on your left shoulder

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by GBP/JPY

That sounds cool, but im not wanting to make one.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by MainLineThis

I just might do that, I'll PM you later today or tomorrow

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by luciddream

Theres always better for just a bit more hey,

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

Well thats true, budget is everything, i guess to start with around 300 AUD, I'll have to chat to the war and finance minister if i go any higher, things aree very tight this xmas, like im sure most of us are.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Your attitude denotes that you should start with the 20X unit, and work up from there. Sorry.

I was ready to talk about how focal length determines image resolution, but, never mind.

Sincerity equals redemption.

All I have to say.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 06:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

I was about to ask about your knowledge until i read your entire post.But....
I believe that mask that you bare may somewhat be starving your frontal lobe from ample oxygen, i do not take kindly to sarcasm or being spoken to condescendingly. If you would like to partake in spamming my threads with such distaste i suggest fornicating oneself would be a more fulfilling option.
Sayonara.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Well thats uncanny!! You are either phychic or already have a very powerful lens

Hope you find what you want anyway and a MERRY CHRISTMAS...................

PS Checked it out
and i'm A OK

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Meade or Celestron good manufactures of telescopes depends on what you want to view up in the sky both come with computerized controllers to learn as you go.

Apple Ipad has a app called sky walk for some more learning beware a good telescope is costly but beginner levels are affordable.

If i had the cash right now this is what i would get but this aint a beginner telescope.

www.meade.com...

The meade lx800 always wanted to get into the hobby myself.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by scubagravy
reply to post by luciddream

Theres always better for just a bit more hey,

6" to 8" is a small jump in price compared to 8" to 10"and 8" is probably the best for a standard family car, 10" need pick up truck kind.
.. yeah these are big...

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 11:18 PM
link   
I had to do a conversion for down under: 1 Australian dollar = 1.0145 US dollars.

You say you have around 300 to spend. I'd spend half of that and get an intermediate 'scope.

Here's a rough guide, a lot of gibberish if you are first starting out, but, you'll see the brands they recommend.

For about 150 you can get a good Newtonian, about 6", on a tripod without computerized tracking. You'll have to spend 450 or so for a GPS enabled unit, which will orient and auto track what ever you program in.

The key is to research before you buy. Also note, that once you buy a 'scope the second most important thing is the eyepieces. A scope is useless without an eye piece, and they come in thousands of zoom factors and resolutions and designs. In amateur astronomy, you sight an object with a low magnification, and once it's sighted, you switch the eyepiece for a closer view, or maybe you even add a filter lens. Often times, you switch many variations of those. I currently have about 20 eyepieces, from 20x to 750x magnification. Not to get too technical right now, but you don't want to buy a scope that boasts a huge magnification level. Buy one with the biggest aperture that is in your budget, and let your eyepieces do the magnification for you.

Also to note, you can get a camera to mount to your scope, a dslr, if you want to diverge into astrophotography. It hooks USB to your computer, and there is software that will "stack" images, and "clean up" a series of exposures.

Honestly, sorry if I came across harsh. Astronomy is a fascinating subject, and I apologize for alienating you. If you do get interested in astronomy, I'll share whatever I've learned myself so far.

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   
My mother-in-law got me a Bushnell telescope for Christmas.
This one to be exact www.bestbuy.com...

She also got 2 other lens', question is how good IS this thing going to be?
Worth keeping?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join