It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is a cure for the common cold (and lots of other viruses) on the way?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Thought this might interest some of the medical lot on ATS, doesn't seem to have been posted, so here it is.

If this is succesful, it could be the start of the end of viruses in humans. Lets hope.

How Draco works

Natural proteins in an infected cell detect the presence of a virus. These proteins are sensitive to double stranded RNA, a genetic molecule unique to and present in nearly all viruses.

Todd Rider has taken one of these natural proteins and bound it to another natural protein - also present in all cells - that triggers cell suicide.

To help the new protein penetrate a cell, he added a feature that imitates part of the HIV virus, borrowing that virus' ability to break into cells. Once administered, the drug travels to every cell in the body but it will only activate in infected cells.

In a matter of hours, the RNA-sensing part of the drug detects the virus and activates the cell suicide part. When the host cell dies, so does the virus.

Source

edit on 20/12/11 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   
And then the movie I am Legend ensues.

It sounds good in theory, testing tends to result in complications however. We'll see.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Cold remedies are a gigantic moneyspinner. On those grounds alone, I doubt a cure for the common cold will ever be marketed.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Maybe I'm strange, but even if there was a cure for the common cold, am I the only person who would not take it? I was always under the impression that getting sick helped develop / improve our immune systems. With all these "insta-cures" wouldn't they start to prevent your body from developing the necessary anti-bodies and such for fighting even the common virus's / germs we come in contact with on a daily basis?

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 04:31 PM
link   
I doubt they can cure the common cold, you dont need to cure it. The common cold is the bodies cure for things in your system that you dont need
Like the fever. The fever increases the heat of your body in response to certain chemicals or things in your body. Your body heats up to kill whatever is causing you to be sick. Usually a fever is accompanied with something else (flu for example).
That just sounds like a zombie apocalypse or a virus that could kill millions. Imagine if it attacked a cell suicided all cells? You'd turn into a pile of goo.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by QUANTUMGR4V17Y
Maybe I'm strange, but even if there was a cure for the common cold, am I the only person who would not take it? I was always under the impression that getting sick helped develop / improve our immune systems. With all these "insta-cures" wouldn't they start to prevent your body from developing the necessary anti-bodies and such for fighting even the common virus's / germs we come in contact with on a daily basis?

Thats why i dont take the flu shot.

Its better to just let it happen, like the cold, or whatever minor ailments you get to just happen.

I'll probably do the same for my own kids (when i have them). While i would be concerned for their health, i know parents now that would bring their child to the doctor to get medicine for every snivel. Not for me.

Trying to cure sicknessess like that, only allows said sickness to develop even futher, evolve, mutate. (over time). And i find i'm sicker, longer, if i take medication for it.

see:
Flu
Bird flu
Swine flu
h2n3 or whatever it is.

Continually evolving.
edit on 20/12/11 by AzureSky because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by QUANTUMGR4V17Y

I wondered about this. Other animals can eat diseased riddled meat and other stuff and not get ill. OK, birds and pigs get flu, possibly other animals too. But humans seem to suffer the most when it comes to disease, and we are supposed to be the ultimate accomplishment of evolution?

Is it centuries of medicating ourselves till a point where our immune systems no longer function like the rest of the animal kingdom?

Is it a natural price payed for our success of evolving into the (supposedly) intelligent creatures we are today?

Or, one for the people who like to think a little differently..........are we from another planet originally? (LOL, think "War of the Worlds")

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   
I think it is a mixture of
Bad food (gmo food)
Bad air (pollution)
Bad water (pollution,flouride,mercury, other metals)
Medication over the years, flu shots, other shots, etc.
Artificial stress (money related)

Need i go on? The amount of sick people didnt really start to climb until what, 20, 30, maybe 40 years ago? Now its a pandemic.

Its allll about money my friend. All about it. Power, money, control.
If you really look deep, you find that nearly every aspect of our lives is governed in some way, yet we do not realize this. I realized awhile ago, that im a walking profit margin.
Most of the money i will make, or anyone will make in their lifetime, they will -never- see.
edit on 20/12/11 by AzureSky because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by woogleuk

I'm sure you will have some "medical expert" (basement dwelling student) tell you that it's a good thing but I spit on anything that prevents our ability to kill and repel aliens not used to earth bacteria and viruses.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   
The *comon cold* lasts for approximately 7 days with only 3 of the days being at elevated levels of discomfort. It does help strengthen our immune systems etc when we encounter the viruses but in an illness that is so short lived does it really need any *cure*. Allow the body to deal with it itself after all it is a cold not pneumonia. The overuse of medication just makes the immune system weaker not stronger IMO. I must just add I spent my childhood with colds but as an adult of *middle age* I only encounter them about every 3 years. My adult son who is allergic to antibiotics never has them at all anymore since about the age of 17. I know antibiotics are no use against the cold virus but some people seem to insist their GP's prescribe them but thankfully they now decline to do so. Therefore I see no point or reason in taking anything for the normal cold and certainly run a mile when my GP suggests I have a flu jab.Maybe we will all be offered a *cold jab* in time to come that comes all nicely combined with whatever TPTB want to be put into our bodies after all doesn't EVERYONE catch a cold at some time?

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by squizzy

It's not just about the cold virus, they are talking about a cure for a number of viruses in one package, they just used the cold virus headline as an example as it is a running joke about finding a cure for the common cold (probably).

EDIT: Dammit, apparently there already a thread on this from months ago, I searched for the wrong thing on ATS search and didn't see it.

It's a brand new BBC article though, not like them to be so slow.

Please direct your thoughts here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by woogleuk

I accept what you said but they have NEVER CURED anything. They only keep things under control so we have to pay big pharma, for each so called cure drug there are at least 2 other drugs used to control the side effects IMO. So be it a cold virus or any virus at all mixing together, changing DNA etc is not a good idea because they never cure nothing cures do not make big pharma rich and that is what they are run on pure and simple greed and IMO harm.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   
This was posted way back in August here...

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Existing thread here:

Please add further comments, queries or concerns to the ongoing discussion.

Thank you

-thread closed-

for future reference:
Search ATS

new topics

top topics

join