It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Congress Overturns Incandescent Light Bulb Ban

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by flexy123

Sounds like a Snake Crawled up your Knickers there Mate . How I Spend my Hard Earned Money is my Business , not Yours by the way . I Pay my Electric Bill Every Month along with Selling back the excess Power I Generate with my Solar Powered System . If I wish to use 100 Watt Incandecent Bulbs in my home so I can Properly SEE , then thats what I am going to do ......... Isn't Technology Great ? ...............

edit on 18-12-2011 by Zanti Misfit because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-12-2011 by Zanti Misfit because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Repealing the Incandescent Light Bulb Ban may help increase the sales of the non Incandescent Light Bulbs.

When governments force replacements by banning a product. the companies that build the replacements keep There prices high because you are forced to buy there product.

If you remove the forced sale of the replacement then the companies that make the replacement will have to lower there price to compete.

Many people will take the energy saving plus longer life and lower cost as a reason to buy the old forced product.

In the next couple months i plan to sell the house i live in a move into a motor home a in it i will use the LED type lights except for one where i set and read.
I am going to put solar on the roof and a battery bank for storage with inverters so that i do not have to run the generator while traveling. and i plan to run the lighting straight off the batteries with out the inverter to save on inverter losses.
I may have to rewire the whole motor home but that will not be a problem as one of my trades was as a electrician.

I am still trying to find 12 or 24 volt DC power supplies for my tower computers.
I know google uses them for there server systems where they run 110 AC or 12 volt DC off large battery banks.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by ANNED

" I am still trying to find 12 or 24 volt DC power supplies for my tower computers.
I know google uses them for there server systems where they run 110 AC or 12 volt DC off large battery banks. "

I'm pretty sure Radio Shack sells both 12 and 24 Volt DC Power Supplies .

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Why would there EVER be a 1,200 page bill?

Is random mercury spillage in our homes, around our kids and pets safe now?

There's a lot of hiding that can go on in a 1,200 page bill.
They know it and we know it.
And we all know - no one is reading it.

Wouldn't it be great if someone asked us, the public?
Wouldn't it be great if we really did vote on what we wanted
in our food, in our water, in our air and in our lamps.

Frighteningly absurd.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zanti Misfit
reply to post by ANNED

" I am still trying to find 12 or 24 volt DC power supplies for my tower computers.
I know google uses them for there server systems where they run 110 AC or 12 volt DC off large battery banks. "

I'm pretty sure Radio Shack sells both 12 and 24 Volt DC Power Supplies .

Not for tower type computers.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by EyesII
reply to post by DerepentLEstranger

Regular size LED lighting is not ready for prime time.

At least not on a mass-market level yet. Sure, they are great for flashlights, but they are different. Flashlights use DC, while your LED bulbs need inverters to convert AC to DC. Inverters are not efficient at all and give off lots of heat. So much so that current LED bulbs come with heat sinks.

The manufacturers are having trouble dispelling the heat from the circuit boards. Also, the bulbs are gross looking and kind of very large. They try to make the heat sinks look cool, but they are an eyesore.

Lastly, the color they give off is not as warm as incandescent. (Yes, I know they come in several Kelvin variations, but none are as pleasant as an incandescent bulb.)

I like incandescent. Hate CFL's and florescent "office" lighting. LED's are the way to go, but they need more refinement. Give them about 2-3 more years.

lmgtfy.com...
leds for home lighting
About 669,000,000 results (0.22 seconds)

looks like you're a bit behind

also looks like china is starting to corner the market, oh well

the main advantages of LEDs are their durability, both in physical terms and of duration.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by DerepentLEstranger

It looks like Philips has the best design.

800 lumen / 12.5 watts / 25,000 hour life / 2,700 K color LED

Right now they are VERY greedy on the price $38 each???
I saw 30 of them at Home Depot. No one is buying them. Price is too high.

--------
I wonder how long it will take China to make a reliable clone?

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   
These stupid intermediate-tech compact florescents need to go the way of the DoDo.

They never last as long as claimed, they're toxic as hell, and they're overpriced.

Why the government would try to push widespread acceptance of a stepping-stone is beyond me.

It'd be like mandatory purchasing of Betamax or LaserDics.

The incandescents are hurting anyone and there will eventually come a truly better option if not several truly better options. The LED's for instance. I'm already using lots of them in my home.

Stockpiling mercury in the mean time is just a stupid idea.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   

looks like you're a bit behind

also looks like china is starting to corner the market, oh well

the main advantages of LEDs are their durability, both in physical terms and of duration.

Go ahead. Buy and use some of these LED's. See how long the bulb will last before it burns out. It's not the actual bulb that burns out, but the electronic inverter that burns up.

The inverters cause too much heat and the bulb will fail or the surroundings will catch on fire. You will not get "years of use" out of them.

However, I do agree that LED's are the way to go in the future. Right now the heat issue is still a major set back.

Once I forgot my LED pen-flashligt in my shed. I left it on a shelf and walked out. I found it 7 days later. It was dim, but it was still on. Gotta love that kind of energy savings. 7 Days on. Cool!!!

As soon as LED's become ready for prime-time, I will LED all my lights in the house. I'm tired of replacing the porch light every month with crappy Home Depot (Phillips) incandescent bulbs.

Upper-ended LED lights, like what you see in fancy stores or 5th-avenue shops - those bulbs do not have coverings, or inverters mounted on them. The power source to them is 12 Volts DC. The inverter sits inside the power supply. That allows the bulbs to not suffer from the inverters heat. Thus long-lasting bulbs. Most homes don't have that kind of set-up. All lighting is usually 110 Volts AC.

I also want see the ability to change the color (temp) of the bulb on the fly. Just like Xmas lights. That would be very very cool.

-E2

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 02:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zanti Misfit

That agreement is tucked inside the massive 1,200-page spending bill that funds the government through the rest of this fiscal year, and which both houses of Congress will vote on Friday. Mr. Obama is expected to sign the bill, which heads off a looming government shutdown.

Congressional Republicans dropped almost all of the policy restrictions they tried to attach to the bill, but won inclusion of the light bulb provision, which prevents the Obama administration from carrying through a 2007 law that would have set energy efficiency standards that effectively made the traditional light bulb obsolete.

Stopping the bulb ban was a chief GOP priority coming into this year, with all of the candidates seeking to become chairman of the House Energy and Commerce Committee saying they would push through a repeal. That bill cleared the House but Democrats blocked its consideration in the Senate.

House Republicans then insisted on adding a provision into the year-end spending bill, and it was one of the last major sticking-points in the negotiations.

www.washingtontimes.com...

At least the Repubs got that one Right , now what am I supposed to do with these 80 Hundred Watt Bulbs I Bought last week ? We have a Right to Light , The Light of Our Choosing ! .Hurray !

edit on Sun Dec 18 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

1) Make sure you store them properly.
2) Sit back and enjoy not having to buy light-bulbs for the next couple of years.

posted on May, 11 2022 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Good cause... LED replacements need more research or at least made into some standard.

I think LED's are becoming cause for people to go blind not being regulated by a standard eye healthy K band or wavelength.

Kinda like how fluorescent bulbs that didn't have a Hz balance gave people massive headaches until they were standardized and listed to 50 or 60 Hz for human health and safety standards, outlawing trade of the headache bandwidth frequency bulbs.

I have an LED as a main light source(don't know the bandwidth) for several years now and it's getting to where it's almost like a sheer piece of cotton over my eyes slowly getting more and more hazy...

Can you feel the cataracts growing Clarice?

posted on May, 11 2022 @ 10:06 PM
link   
I was so excited about this and then realized this is from 2011. ONLY 11 year old news. Darn
edit on 11-5-2022 by StoutBroux because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2022 @ 10:09 PM
link   
a reply to: StoutBroux

Believe it or not , but some Dollar General Stores in my Area Still Sell them . Keep Looking .

posted on May, 11 2022 @ 10:13 PM
link   
a reply to: StoutBroux

The date thing is worth looking into it's gotten me several times; Makes me wonder if ATS has a random generator that throws an old thread up from time to time.

posted on Jun, 11 2022 @ 03:55 PM
link   

edit on 11-6-2022 by Ahabstar because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2023 @ 04:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Crowfoot

" Shedding Light on the Law of Unintended Consequences "

" The US Department of Energy has recently announced two new rules banning the manufacture of incandescent light bulbs starting in July, 2023, and phasing in standards across industries over the following months. The Biden administration claims that this ban is a cost-saving measure that will “save consumers about $3 billion annually when fully implemented.” However, the net impact of this policy is unclear since the substitution of incandescents for LED lights comes with notable negative effects such as impaired sleep and consequently impaired productivity."

This is just Another Example of Government Overreach . Choice has been Removed from the Equation along with Dealing with the Personal Health Effects of LED Light Sources . Incandescent Light is More Bio Friendly to Humans , but God Forbid you try and Point that Out to those that have no Concerns about the Needs of Others........

mises.org...

top topics

<< 1   >>

join