It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Homework assignment for kids in Tennessee: take pictures of your food and how much you spend weekly

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by schuyler
I sseriously doubt this assignment was "goverment sponsored" or intended to invade your privacy.

I doubt that that was the intention either, but the result is the same. The privacy is invaded, regardless of the intent.Making this a mandatory assignment invades the privacy of people's homes, whether their intention is innocent or not.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   
hm.. did anyone make the association with the other thread where Mormon canning centres were visited by fed agents to request lists with customers buying storable food?

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   
I heard the Federal inspectors paid a visit to the Mormons and wanted information on their emergency savings of food. And it was the same state I believe.

This is quite a dangerous thing, some kind of test being done???? They want to know who is stocked up and what is available and what next, what is their plans?

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   
You know, if the parents go up and talk to the school, and object, it probably would not be too hard to talk them into giving the kid a C or something, or perhaps giving her a different assignment.

Hey, lie and say it is for religious reasons that the kid is not allowed to do the assignment... They wont fail her for that and will give her an alternative assignment.

I can see why people are upset about it, but there are ways around this assignment.
edit on 9-12-2011 by gimme_some_truth because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Zagari

I agree it is an invasion of privacy. I'm in Sparta, about an hour west of you, and I'll ask my son (who is home schooled) if his friends had to do the assignment. It depends on what curricula the system is using as well. Because this is probably not statewide.

Just think of the kids whose parents can't afford much food. (I was one of those kids growing up) Think of how embarrassing it is for them and how invasive it could be it the teacher decides to turn the family in to DCS.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Next they will take pics of you TV computers alarm system and a house plan.
and you get robed.

it is insulting to pore famlies to.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Here is the link if its not already posted. Just having supper so I didn't look, sorry.

oathkeepers.org...
Oath Keepers Alert: Federal Agents Demand Customer Lists From Mormon Food Storage Facility

It was Tennessee.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by AshleyD
Oh my I totally agree- that is a horrible invasion of big brother into our family lives, regardless of the cause such as child welfare. I would be appalled if my son was sent home with that assignment.

For lulz, I'd empty everything out save for a bottle of ketchup or something before taking a photo. Then I guess I'd have to explain it was a joke as my son gets carted off to foster care.

I'm with you Ashley. What about the pics of the family though. Could they all wear some kind of disguise ?

But really, what business is it of public schools what people have in their pantries? This is a sick invasion of privacy. My goodness, how much we spend on food? Who is writing these lessons? It would be one thing if the children just do it for their own understanding, but quite another if they have to turn this material in to some Dept of Ed bureaucrat.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

Originally posted by schuyler
I sseriously doubt this assignment was "goverment sponsored" or intended to invade your privacy.

I doubt that that was the intention either, but the result is the same. The privacy is invaded, regardless of the intent.Making this a mandatory assignment invades the privacy of people's homes, whether their intention is innocent or not.

It sounds to me like part of Michelle Obama's food police efforts at making everyone eat according to her specifications.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by generik

Oh snap! I consider sherriequestioningall as a good friend. Had no idea she was going through this madness, but it does not surprise me with all of the bucking of the system she does...

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   
I think all of the parents should have teamed up and created one weeks worth of the healthiest looking inventory possible. Nothing but pure organic, you name it.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Not to try and derail this thread, but this is the most appropriate place to put this.
I am in high school, and one of the assignments for a class was to document my entire morning. When I confronted the people that put this assignment together to question just what it was for, my reply was so that the student body could build better study habits. I was agasp at this. My grades are straight A's and the occasional B, yet they were still trying to push me into recording my morning and blatantly handing it over to them. This included what I ate for breakfast, the time I woke up, when I went to the bustop, and other invasions of privacy. Eventually I got the answer that I can do the assignment and make a grade, or fail the assignment. I figured that my grades could take it, and got the F for a homework. I was happy those people didn't know my morning though.
In general though, Knox County does tend to be intrusive in my experiences. I came from New York, and they believed in "go to school, go home" concept. Here they expect people to willingly hand over personal information on a silver platter. For example, I had to sign a slip, along with my parents, so that the army could NOT use my picture in recruiting or for anything else, and also had to sign a slip so that my face could NOT be used public media. They came to me three times so far to rethink my option.
And one more thing, the "My Family" link in the picture. Just what is that? Please do not tell me that they have some sort of family tree thing online, or your name, or anything else. My account does not have that, so I am a little confused.
Knoxville is one more to fall to the nanny state.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 10:25 PM
link   
I feel pretty hysterical about CPS, but my child has about 1 month to go to legal adulthood. I feel like an emancipated parent when it happens, but even now that i know he is old enough to know what's what I feel a lot better.

I have worried about some CPS crap b/c my family is not "CHRISTIAN" but we live in a very christian area. There are people that would consider the fact that our religion is not 'standard' in and of itself, abusive. The fact that people can make anonymous complaints chills my blood, because I had a friend- a psychologist - who was targetted like that by a patient that she quit seeing because the patient would not pay her bills. (The lady threatened to turn her into CPS if she dropped her as a patient, and then boom, she did and she got turned in.)

Ok, well, I'm sorry I'm so circular here- but recently there was a horrid murder of a 7 year old here in Georgia. It was totally horrid but I think it was the work of a pure monster. However, CPS was on the news stating that because of that ONE horror, that they would be cracking down on people reported for the first time- that they'd be doing financial work ups on the family and checking their houses and food supply.

I don't like it. I don't like any of it.
If someone commits a crime, let the police handle it.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   
This is one of the plethora of reasons we decided to homeschool. I thank God we were in a position to do with one less income, acceptable sacrifices, and the way to do it. I HATE that other parents have to deal with this sort of thing .. and that its being done at ALL. Hell.. STAGE it.. I watch the main stream news sometimes.. its acceptable apparently to stage and fake pics. Stage the darned picture and let the kid get an A. LOL!

Then again, my kids are rotten. They may have told the teacher to eff off and then claim they have ODD.
Im a very private person and seem to have infected the kids with a very healthy respect for my privacy. Not paranoia or govt related.. just Im a private person and find some strangers passing around photographs of my pantry horrifying.. even though it is a super cool walk in butlers pantry that would make em drool. Might get jealous and come confiscate my years worth of hoarded Twinkies. No expiration date on those suckers dontcha know.. and the zombie apocalypse is right around the corner. .

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 04:46 AM
link   
If you would have called the teacher and requested an alternative assignment I'm just about 100% sure you would have been given one.

You chose to not act, but to whine about it happening afterward.

All It was was some liberal teacher trying to emulate this

Next time, pick up the phone.
edit on 12/10/2011 by mnmcandiez because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   
www.newschannel5.com...

Channel 5 news: Door-To-Door Assessment For Disaster Preparedness

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 12:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Zagari

oh, NO WAY my kid would have done that assignment. I would have been at the school, in the face of the teacher, and asking why they thought what was in MY house was any of THEIR business. That is a total invasion of privacy! Yet another story that makes me glad we home school!

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 01:02 AM
link   
Photoshop comes in handy with this situation, or you could go to the grocery store and take a pic in front of aisle 7.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 01:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jessica6
Good grief, hysteria much?

Sounds like a more interesting assignment than whatever I had to do in Social Studies and certainly more useful and informative.

Disinfo agent much? It is seriously getting out of hand with how this website is being over run by pro-authoritarian people.

Really, TPTB are like that annoying kid no one wants to hang out with. So the annoying kid works it so everyone has to hang out with them. Really creepy.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join