It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A comment on the "pro-gay threads" on ATS

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   
First of all, I'm not anti-gay. I've had gay friends. I've got absolutely no qualms, claims or reason to care about anyones' sexuality.
So I don't.

Secondly, I understand America's conservatives do have a problem with homosexuality.
(And here, I use the word "conservative" as a catch all term for those who object to homosexuality on moral grounds, which of course, are the only possible grounds.)
I just don't care to subscribe to what I consider to be illogical, extra-personal concerns for baseless fears.
So I don't.

Thirdly, I can appreciate and do applaud the fact that there seems to be a boisterous "pro gay" media movement taking place in America right now. States continue to improve the rights of gay couples, homosexual high school students have started "coming out" more frequently, gay celebrities and tv programmes are everywhere. In short, it's easier to be gay now than it was, even twenty years ago. I'm happy for the gays, they should be able to get married, etc. Whatever...
(And remember my second point, I understand that there is still resistance, and it is still tough to be young and gay. But let's face it, it's tough just being young.)

So, I get it, there's a buzz around because there deserves to be a buzz around.

My problem is, what is above top secret about it?
Unless you're gay because you were abducted by aliens, or you were a sex slave to elite at Bohemian Grove, or your gay relative says there's a conspiracy to promote homosexuality to sell more beauty products, I think it deserves to be belowtopsecret, at best.
Just because a story becomes a meme doesn't mean it belongs on ATS.
Just because it's in the news, doesn't make it breaking news, fit for ATS.

Obviously people care to discuss these matters, it's the topic of the current #1 thread. I can tell by the number of comments the mods have had to delete that it has been heated, (read: stupid.) Neither of the two threads offered more than a link to a video that lead to trolls being edited and support in a line or two.
But who cares?

We are fiddling while Rome burns.
C'mon ATS, wake up, look around.
edit on 1-12-2011 by briantaylor because: me correct spiilling mistakez

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 09:35 PM
link   
ATS has many forums that covers many different things. Don't like the pro gay threads don't read them problem solved.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 09:37 PM
link   
There isn't really a limit to what you can post on ATS.
If there was your thread would be trashed.
Say No to Homo.........
sexuality.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by briantaylor

It's a very important topic in politics and has a lot to do with personal freedom in America.

ATS has forums that cover politics and social issues exclusively - all you gotta do is stay in the 2012/UFO/Aliens/etc. forums to avoid it

Unless you think Spongebob is part of a homosexual agenda to make your kids gay or something, then it'll end up in "General Conspiracies" or "General Chit-chat" or whatever. And yeah, that was a real thread
edit on 1-12-2011 by Hawking because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by buster2010
ATS has many forums that covers many different things. Don't like the pro gay threads don't read them problem solved.

I never seen a pro gay forum, not that I looked or anything like that, or not that there is anything wrong with being gay, er um...lol

edit on 1-12-2011 by hapablab because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by briantaylor

Originally posted by briantaylor

I'm happy for [color=DBE8CE]the gays,
This is just an observation. This was my initial thought upon reading that short phrase.

I don't think it was intentional. I do think that it is possible that subconsciously, you view homosexuals as if they are not an equal. From my point of view, when you say 'The Gays', you are placing homosexuals into a different class/rank of humanity, than that of your own.

People are people. Every person does not like or dislike the same things, but people are people nonetheless.

My problem is, what is above top secret about it?
This website has obviously grown a considerable amount since it's early beginnings. The phrase 'Above Top Secret' does not actually apply to a majority of the threads/topics here. Regardless though, the name stays the same. They cannot just change it.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 10:28 PM
link   
I'm a long time reader and shorter time poster and I hardly ever see discussions about gay issues at ATS. The only one I can think of, of all the ones I have read or participated in is the current one that has caused OP to write this thread.

I really don't see what the big deal is. Nothing to see here.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Seems you have been here long enough to know of BTS? Not a separate site area anymore but it still pertains. The topic is not about "Dancing with the Stars" or whatever people like on TV now, but that may still fit into that section, no? There's a definite conspiracy against gay marriage in this county(minus the places that allow it). Yes, conspiracy.

new topics

top topics

join