It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Local governments can inspect inside your private home

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2003 @ 01:19 PM
link   
�We get an administrative search warrant, and then they have to let us in��

A move by two area municipalities to inspect the inside of residents' homes has opened Constitutional questions about how much authority local governments have to enforce zoning and building codes.

The town of Montreat, NC is considering "periodic safety inspections" of "all homes" along with a long list of other requirements for residences.

At the same time, the Hickory Daily Record reported, the city of Hickory, NC will soon be sending inspectors to more than 300 homes and businesses with broken windows, ripped awnings, battered fences or other maintenance code violations

The inspections come as a result of a land-use plan adopted by Hickory in May 2001 which included the new rules on property maintenance.

More : Link

posted on Apr, 11 2003 @ 01:41 PM
link   
that's crazy! But, I have always said city governments can be the most nazi-like.

A few years back, my neighbors hot water tank broke. He went and bought a new one and installed it himself. All occurring over the weekend - when the city government is essentially closed (not that he even thought about getting a building permit). He put the box out to the curb for trash collection and a city employee noticed it, stopped and asked his wife if he had installed a hot water tank and if they got a permit. The city expected them to wait all weekend long, apply for a permit ($50), then wait for an inspector to come out prior to the installation and then again afterwards. Crazy I tell you!

posted on Apr, 11 2003 @ 01:42 PM
link   
"Wallner said that they have had the right since the 1960s to inspect the inside of the home if they had a petition that was signed by five neighbors."

So ultimately, the power is still in the hands of the people here...

It'd probably take a lot to get 5 neighbors to petition against you....

posted on Apr, 11 2003 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok

It'd probably take a lot to get 5 neighbors to petition against you....

Yes and no. Imagine a neighborhood of 10 peoples.
9 don't have any guns and 1 has 1 or more guns. The 9 others don't like him and.....you know what I mean.

Or 9 who have guns and 1 don't have any and he's complaining against the 9 others.....

It's so easy to find 5 peoples, in a neighborhood, who don't like one of their neighbors.

posted on Apr, 12 2003 @ 12:34 AM
link   
Well, now, there's a difference, U-P.

Broken windows, torn shutters and the like kills property value. Imagine your house is next to a trash heap and you decide you want to sell it. You may have a really nice house but who wants to live next to such a pigstye. That's why you'll have city codes.

The idea of having to have a permit to change out a water heater is ludicrous, though. I'm glad I don't live in a gestapo state. Bob, there's plenty of room in Alabama. Don't tell all the Yankees, though, or they'll all move down here and bring their commy ideas with them!

posted on Apr, 12 2003 @ 01:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thomas Crowne
Well, now, there's a difference, U-P.

Broken windows, torn shutters and the like kills property value. Imagine your house is next to a trash heap and you decide you want to sell it. You may have a really nice house but who wants to live next to such a pigstye. That's why you'll have city codes.

You don't know how you right TC. Because one of my neighbors has a trash house.
And mine, who's nice, lose his value.

It's time to move in Alabama.
WOOOHHHOOOOOHOOOOOOOO

posted on Apr, 12 2003 @ 09:08 AM
link   
I have read that in Japan, citizens are visited twice a year by police for a "home inspection".

So whatever happened to "protection from unreasonable search and siezure"?

posted on Apr, 12 2003 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Illmatic67 was here

4-12-03 , 11:19 AM EST

posted on Apr, 12 2003 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Illmatic67 was here Posted by Illmatic

OK.... does that have something to do with this discussion?

posted on Apr, 12 2003 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Ohio isn't that bad TC - the GOP runs wild up here! - It's just more/less the 'burbs I live in. I'm moving soon though to a more rural area. Being able to shoot guns on my own land is just too important to me, lol.

posted on Apr, 12 2003 @ 12:23 PM
link   
In fact I think about Colorado.

It look great Colorado. Nature, woods, forest, lakes, not too many peoples, a lot of snow ( I love snow
), Aspen for skying ( I love skying
)....

Yeah, if I can go live in the USA, it will be Colorado !

new topics

top topics

join