It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pagan stone circle may have been destroyed in religous hate attack

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by PrimalRed

Actually it's a blanket word describing rural people. "Paganism" has never been a religion. Most of those that people would call "pagans" are no different than American Indians in that they believe in earth spirits, the balance of nature and energies, and that every man/woman should find his or her humble place in this world where they can live off the land and be free, hence the connection between pagans (countryside) and the people who live these practices, practices which I won't name here because there are too many to do so.

edit on 30-11-2011 by FugitiveSoul because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 01:43 AM
link   
reply to post by FugitiveSoul

Most of those that people would call "pagans" are no different than American Indians in that they believe in earth spirits, the balance of nature and energies, and that every man/woman should find his or her humble place in this world where they can live off the land and be free, hence the connection between pagans (countryside) and the people who live these practices, practices which I won't name here because there are too many to do so.

No...
American Indians have a WIDE variety of religions that were changing over times, some of them even did not come around intill the 1800s, the use of the term "earth spirit" is really a product of too much TV and stereotypes. "earth spirit" is of European origin not Native American. But nearly all the legitimate native American religions are established unlike "pagan" religions where it becomes very up in the air about what is "pagan".
For example i can proclaim to be a "pagan" and say i pray or call on to Diana for [whatever] and then turn around and say that i also worship Dionysus all the while claiming my religion is VERY much based on real ancient beliefs. Never mind the fact that in ancient Rome if you were part of the druids that worshiped Dionysus the people that worshiped Diana (Romans) would want you dead. And also at the same time deny that "paganism" has nothing to do with human sacrificing while ignoring the actual sacrificial practices of these religions they claim to be part of. It is all very confusing to me...
Much like saying im a REAL christian, i pray to Allah and Joseph Smith and here is my altar where i worship L Ron Hubbard.

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 12:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by PrimalRed

American Indians have a WIDE variety of religions that were changing over times...

Yeah... like "pagans", a blanket term stretching from Europa to Asia Minor, even across the ocean to the Americas. According to the etymology of the word Pagan, the American Indians would've been, and still would be, considered pagans.

Archaeologists propose that tens of thousands of years ago a somewhat uniform culture stretched around the northernmost regions of the globe from Greenland and Scandinavia to northern Asia and Siberia. The peoples of this circumpolar culture shared a common history and many religious beliefs and practices including animism, shamanism, and ceremonies centered around hunting and animals. The culture reached down into China, where it influenced the development of Taoism, and Tibet, whose shamanistic Bon culture left its stamp on Tibetan Buddhism. Beginning as long as 60,000 years ago, the peoples of northern Asia migrated across what is now the Bering Sea to Alaska and Canada, and then down through the Great Plains of North America to Central and South America.

The culture of theese migrants, the ancestors of the North American Indians, incorporated elements of religion based on both nomadic hunting (mountain and sky gods) and agriculture (earth goddesses, shrines, and temples). As in many Goddess religions, the Native Ameircan conception divides the universe into heaven, earth, and underworld. Distinctions among spirits, divinities, humans, and animals are often blurred. Animals, places, even stones and trees can possess spirits that interact with humans in a kind of cosmic harmony, similar to the ancient concept of kami in the Shinto tradition of Japan. This belief, known as animism, is common to many preliterate religions which hold that personal, intelligent spirits inhabit almost all natural objects, from stones, plants, and rivers to insects, birds, animals, trees, and mountains. Indians regard some, but not all, places as sacred; certain locations and animals are singled out as manifestations of the supernatural, including those seen in dreams or visions.

Link

new topics

<< 1   >>

join